F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Air Leak in Run Flats, What to do?
Studio RSR

07-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #45
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

That's why I have a repair kit, pump and jack on board, to fix it before it gets damaged. It's not an inconvenience, if I had go flats I'd need the same thing, and the hope that if I got a puncture it happened at a time and place where I could fix it on the spot. That sidewall damage is why BMW etc say not to repair an RFT, under the assumption that it will have happened. If you do drive the recommended maximum range of 50 miles at 50 MPH, it will.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 03:43 PM   #46
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

I promised to post results to my self-repair. Attached below is a picture of the repair. I used the kit I described above, very well-made American tools and the plug component was very sticky when inserting into the hole. Looked like something that would vulcanize well and keep the air in.

The hole was actually made by a 1/8-inch-thick screw. You can see on picture where the screw made quite some surface damage, such as a small surface cut near the actual hole from a screw thread (a little surface cut adjacent to the plug) and some scrapes on tire from large screw head.

The fix worked like a charm. I have been driving on the same tire for 8 days - inflated to 32 PSI and TPMS consistently reports pressures from 33 to 34 PSI, in line with pressure changes of other tires. Looks like a great kit.

I appreciate all of you that encouraged me to go with the repair instead of keeping re-inflating tire with a screw.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0