F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Surround view & park ass..
ARMA SPEED

02-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #1
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D M SPORT

Surround view & park ass..

Hey guys just wondering if anyone got surround view & park ass, how good is it?
Am thinking of adding this feature on my order...reason my garage is really tight and i guess it will also be handy in tight parking spaces...if i add surround view then park ass is only extra couple hundred

My concern is. Does it really work?? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
I've seen surround view and it's good but not in a garage. The walls would be too close to see clearly on the screen I'd of thought....

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
I've seen surround view and it's good but not in a garage. The walls would be too close to see clearly on the screen I'd of thought....
Main concern is the entrance then i just drive straight in...it will show the entrance when approaching ??
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
Mattt1
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive

Don't you just want reverse camera in that situation? The Advanced Parking package should give you all you need.

I considered Surround View but it was too pricey for the benefit I felt it would give me (compared to say HUD).
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #5
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattt1 View Post
Don't you just want reverse camera in that situation? The Advanced Parking package should give you all you need.

I considered Surround View but it was too pricey for the benefit I felt it would give me (compared to say HUD).
I would have considered reverse cam but i dont have enough room to reverse the car. Its complecated...in other words i have to drive straight in..

Last edited by ///MSport420; 02-19-2014 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
brommy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

I'm yet to collect my car but I have researched how useful the surround view is. Based on the opinion of those who had it I would give it a rather unscientific mark of 8 out of 10. I read that it is useful for avoiding damage to alloys via kerbing and so, coupled with my gadget desire, I decided to specify it. Sorry, I don't know if it will accurately guide you in to a tight garage.

I also added park assist just because it was comparatively 'cheap' once the surround view was specced and it met 'gadget approval' (it steers by itself! ) My research of park assist showed it was reasonably accurate - provided the cars front and back were parked okay (if they are up on the kerb, you will end up on the kerb!). Unfortunately many opinions on forums regarding PA are clouded by mans insistence they don't need help to park*. I suspect this is true for most instances but I believe the system helps in particularly tight spots.

* a sensitive/over protective subject for many. Strange the same complaint is never aimed at cruise control and yet most are capable of driving at a steady speed - unaided.
      02-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #7
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brommy View Post
I'm yet to collect my car but I have researched how useful the surround view is. Based on the opinion of those who had it I would give it a rather unscientific mark of 8 out of 10. I read that it is useful for avoiding damage to alloys via kerbing and so, coupled with my gadget desire, I decided to specify it. Sorry, I don't know if it will accurately guide you in to a tight garage.

I also added park assist just because it was comparatively 'cheap' once the surround view was specced and it met 'gadget approval' (it steers by itself! ) My research of park assist showed it was reasonably accurate - provided the cars front and back were parked okay (if they are up on the kerb, you will end up on the kerb!). Unfortunately many opinions on forums regarding PA are clouded by mans insistence they don't need help to park*. I suspect this is true for most instances but I believe the system helps in particularly tight spots.

* a sensitive/over protective subject for many. Strange the same complaint is never aimed at cruise control and yet most are capable of driving at a steady speed - unaided.
i consider myself as a good driver..not bosting.lol but one day you will end up on a very tight spot and you are going to hurt those wheels..when you refurb them..still not gona be the same ...then you wish you paid for surround view..

most ppl go for adapt lights and adapt suspension but i prefer surround insted coz in my 10 years of driving i never used beam nor am planning to go on desert safari..m sport suspension are good enough for uk roads

Last edited by ///MSport420; 02-19-2014 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
brommy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MSport420 View Post
i consider myself as a good driver..not bosting.lol but one day you will end up on a very tight spot and you are going to hurt those wheels..when you refurb them..still not gona be the same ...then you wish you paid for surround view..

most ppl go for adapt lights and adapt suspension but i prefer surround insted coz in my 10 years of driving i never used beam nor am planning to go on desert safari..m sport suspension are good enough for uk roads
Any gadget that also might have a use is great by me! Although, if I kerb my 403s with my surround view, I will be doubly p!ss*d off!
      02-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #9
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Any gadget that also might have a use is great by me! Although, if I kerb my 403s with my surround view, I will be doubly p!ss*d off!
Oh gosh...if i still manage to hit the kerb with cam on...then i dont deserve that car..not any car.. at that point ..i probably sell the car and get myself a bycicle
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #10
Trajan265
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i X-Drive M-Sport

I have the surround view on my 335 and love it. It allows me to park in very tight spots with complete confidence. Every day I use it to park in my garage as close as possible. I have taken a few pictures that should help. I first took a shot of the surround view and then a real view of how close the car was in person.

First is entering the garage and then showing how close the mirror is to the wall. Second set is about half way in, then showing the outside view, and last is all the way in and showing the car next to the wall and one shot from behind. I hope this helps you make a decision. I know it is a small car, but this is very convenient.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #11
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan265 View Post
I have the surround view on my 335 and love it. It allows me to park in very tight spots with complete confidence. Every day I use it to park in my garage as close as possible. I have taken a few pictures that should help. I first took a shot of the surround view and then a real view of how close the car was in person.

First is entering the garage and then showing how close the mirror is to the wall. Second set is about half way in, then showing the outside view, and last is all the way in and showing the car next to the wall and one shot from behind. I hope this helps you make a decision. I know it is a small car, but this is very convenient.
This is perfect..exactly what i wanted to see thnks..so you can see the garage entrance on screen when approaching it?? If i get the surround which i am going to now. then going to make two white lines inside side by side...so as if am parking in a slot.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #12
brommy
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Impressive. Thanks for the photos. Took a while for me to see 'what was what' but then I had an 'aha' moment. Must be second nature once you've used it a couple of times.

Does the red bar at the front represent a 'don't go much further warning'? If so, how far is the car away from the wall when it goes red and is there the same red bar behind the car when reversing to an object the same distance behind the car?
      02-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #13
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage size is very similar to mine..reason i want surround
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #14
Trajan265
United_States
Rep

Ok, my mistake. I only showed you half of the features. The first photos were close-ups of the display. The display actually gives you two overhead views of the car, side by side. I showed the left hand view in the previous post. The view on the right gives a color-coded display that actually give an approximate distance to the object. You can see how it shows green/yellow/red as the object gets closer. The system also gives an audible warning from the speaker near the object. For example, if you are close to to hitting something with the right rear, you hear the warning from the right rear speaker.

As you turn the wheel, you also get the wheel arcs which show in red, where the wheel will track if fully locked, and the green arc shows the wheel track at the current wheel position. The system also works very well in low light conditions. Here are some more pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #15
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks pal...so just to make it clear..is there an option to use front camera to see whats ahead rather then top view? For example when you reverse..the screen shows some green guidelines on screen ...is there somethin similar for front?? I hope you understand wht am trying to say
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #16
brommy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ok, my mistake. I only showed you half of the features. The first photos were close-ups of the display. The display actually gives you two overhead views of the car, side by side. I showed the left hand view in the previous post. The view on the right gives a color-coded display that actually give an approximate distance to the object. You can see how it shows green/yellow/red as the object gets closer. The system also gives an audible warning from the speaker near the object. For example, if you are close to to hitting something with the right rear, you hear the warning from the right rear speaker.

As you turn the wheel, you also get the wheel arcs which show in red, where the wheel will track if fully locked, and the green arc shows the wheel track at the current wheel position. The system also works very well in low light conditions. Here are some more pics.
Thanks Trajan265.

Definitely ticks my gadget and functionality boxes!
      02-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #17
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Trajan265.

Definitely ticks my gadget and functionality boxes!
This gadgets should be freebies as it cost them peanuts..specially when you orderin new car
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #18
Trajan265
United_States
Rep

///MSport420

Here are a few more pictures showing the rear camera view with the grid lines and the side view cameras. The only thing the system lacks is that front facing camera you asked about. I don't find the side view cameras very useful, other than for creeping out into an area where it is very hard to see because of parked cars/snow banks, etc.

The side view cameras are part of the overall system that forms the top view, but as a stand alone, I could do without them. They are activated by a separate switch to the left of the gear selector.
Attached Images

Last edited by Trajan265; 02-19-2014 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #19
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Great..gona ring my dealer first thing in morning to add this great looking feature..hope he dsnt put the phone down after hearing my voice..
Trajan thanks alot for all the info and pictures...really appriciate it
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #20
Trajan265
United_States
Rep

///MSport420, glad I could help. Enjoy the new car when it comes!

I love mine, it makes the daily commute a blast.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 01:51 AM   #21
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Msport420,

There is no front camera, and thus the system is unable of showing you the road a head..

It's a 5 camera system, 2 on the front bumper (left & right sides), also known as nose camera which help when creeping out of garages or tight side roads into main roads..2 cameras, 1 underneath each wing mirror, they show you curbs, walls, and pillars, and lastly the rear camera in the boot
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 03:47 AM   #22
Floriank
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D M Sport Tanzanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWA View Post
Msport420,

There is no front camera, and thus the system is unable of showing you the road a head..

It's a 5 camera system, 2 on the front bumper (left & right sides), also known as nose camera which help when creeping out of garages or tight side roads into main roads..2 cameras, 1 underneath each wing mirror, they show you curbs, walls, and pillars, and lastly the rear camera in the boot
I could be wrong but I think the two front wing cameras are a separate option and not included in the Surround view option - at least they were when I ordered my car late 2012.

Might be worth checking out so that you get exactly what you expect.
Appreciate 0