F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Sounds like change rubbing going over sharp bumps
Studio RSR

09-24-2021, 07:45 PM   #1
boyerizm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive M-Sport

Sounds like change rubbing going over sharp bumps

2013 328i xDrive left front suspension sounds like if you were to rub two quarters together very briefly going over sharp bumps along with a whooshing sound which I presume are the struts.

Got a call they thought it was a failed strut.

Picked up the car today, noise was still there and I read they replaced the rear struts? They claim they thought the noise was coming from the rear…(the notes clearly state left front tho)

Anyways, the suspension feels solid, alignment is fine did they just replace the wrong struts? Or could this be something else?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 11:38 PM   #2
boyerizm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyerizm View Post
2013 328i xDrive left front suspension sounds like if you were to rub two quarters together very briefly going over sharp bumps along with a whooshing sound which I presume are the struts.

Got a call they thought it was a failed strut.

Picked up the car today, noise was still there and I read they replaced the rear struts? They claim they thought the noise was coming from the rear…(the notes clearly state left front tho)

Anyways, the suspension feels solid, alignment is fine did they just replace the wrong struts? Or could this be something else?
Just in case anyone encounters this, it turned out to be the brake caliper slide. Took 30 mins and a bit of grease to get rid of the noise. This is of course after the dealer tried to get me to pay 1k for new struts and wound up eating the cost.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 05:59 AM   #3
Randy Johnson
BM3
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
So wait. You went to the dealer for this issue but they replaced parts that were not bad? They did not fix your issue but charged you for a bogus repair? Wow! I hope you wrote a bad review for the dealer and let BMW USA know.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 07:55 AM   #4
boyerizm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
So wait. You went to the dealer for this issue but they replaced parts that were not bad? They did not fix your issue but charged you for a bogus repair? Wow! I hope you wrote a bad review for the dealer and let BMW USA know.
Well they tried to get me to pay…but I called the local news investigative team 😆.

This was a used car sale, which supposedly passed inspection and next thing you know they were telling me I needed new struts.

Anyways I got two free rear struts out of it. Annoyingly this took 5 weeks to get done.
Appreciate 0