F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
GetBMWParts

07-03-2021, 07:59 AM   #8185
momo_
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D saphire black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_B View Post
In exactly the same boat. Looking at Bavarian & Droid (with possible reverse camera). Asked a few questions (variants of yours) in another thread, but no reposnses yet.

We could always get Bavarian & droid to post a picture of their F/W screen (if they are willing) and we could take a guess based on the first page of this thread...
There is a post from bavarian in an old thread in here that seemed to suggest they are the same internals as I what i suspect they were referring to be bimmertech mmi prime. However i suspect that it will be different software.

I guess the benefit of getting a uk based one is their customer support, particularly if the hardware is faulty. I dont suspect returning to china would be very easy if a replacement is required. however I reckon going for andream would leave us with better options for software upgrades.

looking through the thread, droid seemed to have issues of there own. no idea of bavarian though.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 08:05 AM   #8186
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonellergt View Post
Has anyone had any issues with programming factory computer? I got rear ended on Monday and had to take my x5 to bmw collision center where they will do the repairs. Just want to make sure they wil be able to get in and do whatever coding they need too.
No issues at all, the BMW audiocenter processor gives errors and sees 'intruder' MMI unit, that's harmless and coding is possible. I use Bimmerlink Bluetooth connected app on Android smartphone for reading error memories.
Tell or write them you're using an aftermarket MMI box so they are not surprised to see a bunch of errors in the memory :-)

Last edited by RAAF12; 07-03-2021 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 08:54 AM   #8187
sbrook02
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 (F15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by propernorf View Post
Hey guys, is Andream B- NBT and Andream B2 cross compatible ? Basically can I flash B2_V1.5.5 on EW-BMCP-NBT02B ?
There is a warning against it on the first page. If you wanted to have a nice paperweight then cross flashing would be a sure way to produce one.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #8188
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo_ View Post
There is a post from bavarian in an old thread in here that seemed to suggest they are the same internals as I what i suspect they were referring to be bimmertech mmi prime. However i suspect that it will be different software.

I guess the benefit of getting a uk based one is their customer support, particularly if the hardware is faulty. I dont suspect returning to china would be very easy if a replacement is required. however I reckon going for andream would leave us with better options for software upgrades.

looking through the thread, droid seemed to have issues of there own. no idea of bavarian though.
It's very easy to sent it back, a lot of Aliexpress shops has a 15 day free return without asking why polici. They sent on demand a free return label. Print the pdf label, glue and drop the parcel to the local DHL point. In my situation it was a bad dashcam and dropped in the nearby supermarket. A week later money back on Paypal. But a UK, US, AU or Canada or whatever country you reside the reseller has his source in People's Republic of China.
Direct buying from AIOCOIA is the way to go! And they are very helpfull to customers and sent also the latest software updates like a month ago, a new icon for Youtube and that does full resolution movies!
You can see if you like the factory where it's produced, on the last page of AIOCOIA webshop on Aliexpress. (I have no shares)

Last edited by RAAF12; 07-03-2021 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 12:09 PM   #8189
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian9 View Post

First video with out noise(choosen CD)
Second video with white noise with AUX-in and CarPlay connected
Hold your horses! I don't see or heard anything. Back to the drawing room?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 02:45 PM   #8190
Dorian9
Russia
Rep
Drives: BMW e60 525i n52b25a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAF12 View Post
Hold your horses! I don't see or heard anything. Back to the drawing room?
Links on vimeo breaks post.
https://vimeo.com/570632672
Second try video with noise
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 03:05 PM   #8191
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Links on vimeo breaks post.
https://vimeo.com/570632672
Second try video with noise
Great!
In my opinion it's amplifier noise without any source signal. I search for schematic diagram of the car. User normally choose CD/AUX/TUNER ect. Two green glassfibre cables has the sound and must be switched off the harnass to the optical input of the amp in the headunit according to user manual of the new MMI box but I think you have done this allready?

Last edited by RAAF12; 07-03-2021 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 05:34 PM   #8192
Dorian9
Russia
Rep

Quote:
Great!
In my opinion it's amplifier noise without any source signal. I search for schematic diagram of the car. User normally choose CD/AUX/TUNER ect. Two green glassfibre cables has the sound and must be switched off the harnass to the optical input of the amp in the headunit according to user manual of the new MMI box but I think you have done this allready?
Why noise is still in speakers powered directly from headunit, when amp disconnected from car? Most cables set in HU, but amp work by HI-Level, from front levels output. I think, that carplay always gives a signal on HU aux input, but i cant understand, how to check what is it, AUX in HU, i dont know how to right say in english, may be “audio pickups” by the carplay, or noise from carplay’s power supply.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 06:49 PM   #8193
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Why noise is still in speakers powered directly from headunit, when amp disconnected from car? Most cables set in HU, but amp work by HI-Level, from front levels output. I think, that carplay always gives a signal on HU aux input, but i cant understand, how to check what is it, AUX in HU, i dont know how to right say in english, may be “audio pickups” by the carplay, or noise from carplay’s power supply.
The soundtraject is regulated by softwarebus DCAN you sure there is no loose connection/wire in the small white connector of the MMI box? The noise is typical for a sensitive amplifier with no input signal. Maybe do a recovery to original BMW state and then start again with updating?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 08:14 AM   #8194
Dorian9
Russia
Rep

Quote:
The soundtraject is regulated by softwarebus DCAN you sure there is no loose connection/wire in the small white connector of the MMI box? The noise is typical for a sensitive amplifier with no input signal. Maybe do a recovery to original BMW state and then start again with updating?
When i disconnected white connector from carplay, noise goes away instantly, checked all the connections, on the carplay, on the extention cord for carplay, on HU, may it be any sensitivity settings in carplay? If i connect my Mulf2 back to car with out carplay, no any noises with connected phone
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 12:35 PM   #8195
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domih View Post
Hello,

Are there any known issues with iPhone X/iPhone XR?
I've installed many MMI boxes and customers with iPhone X and XR are complaining about disconnecting CarPlay.
Problems exists with both Andream and CarLinkit MMI.
CarLinkit has solved it with last update, Andream doesn't seem to have it solved.

I did a lot of troubleshooting but nothing seemed to solve it. I have experienced it myself aswell. My iPhone X works perfect with OEM CarPlay though.

Customer sees a black screen while the music continues playing. After a while music stops aswell and MMI goes back to main menu and bluetooth is connected but CarPlay cannot be selected (so wi-fi is not selected)

Any1 know what could be the cause? Andream doesn't seem to know. Told them to talk to CarLinkit.
I have always used an Android phone but my new employer provided an Iphone XR so I am having to become familiar with ios.

The problem that I am having is that the iphone will not automatically connect to the mmi bluetooth connection and therefore not auto-launch CarPlay. Carplay works fine if I go into settings and manually connect the iphone to the mmi's bluetooth connection.

Any tips for resolving this and getting the iphone to automatically connect to the mmi's bluetooth? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 01:55 PM   #8196
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
When i disconnected white connector from carplay, noise goes away instantly, checked all the connections, on the carplay, on the extention cord for carplay, on HU, may it be any sensitivity settings in carplay? If i connect my Mulf2 back to car with out carplay, no any noises with connected phone
In don't have Carplay but Android Auto, in MMI box you can change settings. This is my audio setup for the box.
Equalizer all flat 0dB
Attached Images

Last edited by RAAF12; 07-04-2021 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 10:29 PM   #8197
sbrook02
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 (F15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Quote:
Hello,

I've installed many MMI boxes and customers with iPhone X and XR are complaining about disconnecting CarPlay.
CarLinkit has solved it with last update, Andream doesn't seem to have it solved.

I did a lot of troubleshooting but nothing seemed to solve it. I have experienced it myself aswell. My iPhone X works perfect with OEM CarPlay though.

Customer sees a black screen while the music continues playing. After a while music stops aswell and MMI goes back to main menu and bluetooth is connected but CarPlay cannot be selected (so wi-fi is not selected)

Any1 know what could be the cause? Andream doesn't seem to know. Told them to talk to CarLinkit.
I have always used an Android phone but my new employer provided an Iphone XR so I am having to become familiar with ios.

The problem that I am having is that the iphone will not automatically connect to the mmi bluetooth connection and therefore not auto-launch CarPlay. Carplay works fine if I go into settings and manually connect the iphone to the mmi's bluetooth connection.

Any tips for resolving this and getting the iphone to automatically connect to the mmi's bluetooth? Thank you!
CarPlay does auto connect for me wirelessly. You might need to clear all CarPlay connetions, then connect via USB and select wireless connection for later on first wired connection.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 01:37 PM   #8198
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrook02 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hello,

CarPlay does auto connect for me wirelessly. You might need to clear all CarPlay connetions, then connect via USB and select wireless connection for later on first wired connection.
Thanks for the tip. Deleting all bluetooth connections from the phone and mmi then re-pairing to the mmi did make it auto connect once. But only once. Anyway, I will keep playing with it.

My previous employer had a BYOD policy which helped to keep things simple.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #8199
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Deleting all bluetooth connections from the phone and mmi then re-pairing to the mmi did make it auto connect once. But only once. Anyway, I will keep playing with it.

Apple site gives an solution for this you have to agree after first attempt with connected cable to do always wireless Carplay next time. They have other solutions too, just check, it works for me with an old iPhone 5. Just curious, my Android phone always make sounds when entering the car wireless for BT pairing and starting AA. Does Apple make sound too when wireless connection is established?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 06:43 PM   #8200
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Apple site gives an solution for this you have to agree after first attempt with connected cable to do always wireless Carplay next time. They have other solutions too, just check, it works for me with an old iPhone 5. Just curious, my Android phone always make sounds when entering the car wireless for BT pairing and starting AA. Does Apple make sound too when wireless connection is established?
Thank you, I will buy a usb to iphone cable and try that. The phone came with an iPhone to usb-c cable so I haven't been able to connect to the mmi using a cable.

And no, I didn’t notice any sound when connecting wirelessly.
Appreciate 1
RAAF1289.00
      07-06-2021, 02:48 AM   #8201
adiki
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Is anyone here for whom this device is working without problems and freezes wirelessly? There are days that it's working fine but somedays it's rebooting every 15 minutes. Do you have some configuration tips to have stable wireless operation?

Last edited by adiki; 07-06-2021 at 03:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 04:33 AM   #8202
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Deleting all bluetooth connections from the phone and mmi then re-pairing to the mmi did make it auto connect once. But only once.
Wireless Carplay had issues for me from the very beginning, it would work sometimes and then it woudn't... 375 thread pages later still people are having issues with the connection, the phone/navigation disconnecting at the wrong time/place could even be dangerous!

So, I could just not trust the link and early enough decided to forget about the wireless "feature" and now I just USB wire the phone when I start the car = CarPlay auto starts with a solid connection and I arrive to my destination with enough battery charge.

It may not be a popular opinion but for me is a win win kind of thing.

Last edited by x-m4n; 07-06-2021 at 04:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 06:36 AM   #8203
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
Wireless Carplay had issues for me from the very beginning, it would work sometimes and then it woudn't... 375 thread pages later still people are having issues with the connection, the phone/navigation disconnecting at the wrong time/place could even be dangerous!

So, I could just not trust the link and early enough decided to forget about the wireless "feature" and now I just USB wire the phone when I start the car = CarPlay auto starts with a solid connection and I arrive to my destination with enough battery charge.

I agree, reliable is the buzz word too for me. I don't relay on defective or half broken software/hardware while driving on difficult, unknown roads.

I check with an old iPhone 5 and it works wireless but tested not very long. It was just for knowing the MMI works. No problem with Wireless Android Auto. For a long > four hour travel I use a wired quick charge adapter (9Volts) because my OnePlus 6 has no wireless power capability. The phone gets hotter, but there's no overheating warning on the screen like what happens while putting the phone into direct sunlight by > 35 degrees Celcius.
Bluetooth/wifi/4G/musicplayer/cpu/bright screen consumes a lot of power in a car. I hope Apple can find a solution for this. Android phones has done the job properly.

edit: Hmm now Oneplus does strange things to the new series see https://www.anandtech.com/show/16794...e-examination/

Last edited by RAAF12; 07-06-2021 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: info updating
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 08:59 AM   #8204
propeller65
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post

Same here, i use Carplay with cable and iPhone 12 without problems. No overheat, slow charging but all oke. I guess software version B_1.2.5 is the last one for the nbt b units and it works good enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 09:36 AM   #8205
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 x-drive

Going to give wireless Android auto another go, got a new Samsung S21 5G. Seems to work okay after the July update. Guess I will give wireless, and wireless charging another shot at working correctly. If phone gets too hot it will eventually throttle itself and give problems again...like wireless iphone and carplay plus charging gets, then it's back to wired Android auto for me, I guess...Wish me luck...probably going to need it...I will post the results after a few days.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 12:04 PM   #8206
DerIs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32 420d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrcrash View Post
Going to give wireless Android auto another go, got a new Samsung S21 5G. Seems to work okay after the July update. Guess I will give wireless, and wireless charging another shot at working correctly. If phone gets too hot it will eventually throttle itself and give problems again...like wireless iphone and carplay plus charging gets, then it's back to wired Android auto for me, I guess...Wish me luck...probably going to need it...I will post the results after a few days.
GL, keep up us updated. I tried wireless for a few days, with my p30 pro, but random closes and a few other things, made me use wired. Android Auto.
Appreciate 0