F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Friends and family think you're crazy
Studio RSR

06-23-2020, 10:10 AM   #23
rfranklin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: No fun car right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsXman View Post
So I'm not the only one that looks at other cars that aren't mine and gets mad because people don't take care of it? See cars covered with bird poop or filthy with mud, wheels covered in brake dust and I think damn clean your car man.

I do have a whole section in my garage that's just products to clean and take care of my car.
You certainly aren't alone. I almost want to tell my neighbors to bring their car over so I can clean it for them. Had to do that with my in-laws recently. My Father-in-law has a Jaguar convertible that was swirled and scratched like crazy. I gave it a two-step polish and told him he's not allowed to go to the drive-through car wash ever again. He coming along - even told me the last time I saw him that he used a leaf blower to get the dust off it. Small victories!
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2020, 12:20 AM   #24
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
I mean if I drove a Prius or a Saturn Ion I probably wouldn't care either. But it's a BMW, I feel like it deserves to be taken care of.
IMO, it really depends on the person. Living in SoCal, you get a plethora of BMWs, Mercs, and Lexus that are dirty and driven like appliances. Likewise, I have friends who drive Hondas that baby the hell out of them much like we do on our BMWs. I kept my old VW TDI in mint condition just as I do with my F31.

At the end of the day, it's a labor of love and it's the person, not the car. The people who see their car as just an appliance to get from A to B tend to not worry about those things. And to the aforementioned folks in SoCal, it's a nice looking appliance.
      06-24-2020, 01:31 PM   #25
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
Quote:
I mean if I drove a Prius or a Saturn Ion I probably wouldn't care either. But it's a BMW, I feel like it deserves to be taken care of.
IMO, it really depends on the person. Living in SoCal, you get a plethora of BMWs, Mercs, and Lexus that are dirty and driven like appliances. Likewise, I have friends who drive Hondas that baby the hell out of them much like we do on our BMWs. I kept my old VW TDI in mint condition just as I do with my F31.

At the end of the day, it's a labor of love and it's the person, not the car. The people who see their car as just an appliance to get from A to B tend to not worry about those things. And to the aforementioned folks in SoCal, it's a nice looking appliance.
Agreed. You're 100% correct. It didn't matter what car I had I always took care of it. I don't know everyone else's background, but I didn't come from much in my family. My mother raised my brother and I herself. So I've always had maybe a better appreciation for things than most people.

Nothing was given to me, I worked for all of it and finally got the car I always wanted...a BMW. You're right most people consider their car something to get them from point A to point B...but why can't your ride look good on the way there? 😂

Unrelated, but somewhat related note. Been working on installing new interior doors in the house this week. So one bay of my garage is the "workshop". Well today I covered the BMW with sheets to keep the sawdust off of it and today I'm going to buy a car cover. My wife thinks I'm crazy...I told her I don't care!
      07-12-2020, 12:59 AM   #26
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfranklin View Post
You certainly aren't alone. I almost want to tell my neighbors to bring their car over so I can clean it for them. Had to do that with my in-laws recently. My Father-in-law has a Jaguar convertible that was swirled and scratched like crazy. I gave it a two-step polish and told him he's not allowed to go to the drive-through car wash ever again. He coming along - even told me the last time I saw him that he used a leaf blower to get the dust off it. Small victories!
That is me right there. I have literally washed friends cars PROPERLY... they think i'm OCD (well arent we all a little bit :P).

At this point, I'm well setup to run my own detailing business lol, trying to keep my car and the family hauler clean is almost a full time job, particularly with 3 kids that will mess everything up.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2020, 10:05 AM   #27
dharper
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW X3 30i-'11 BMW 128i

Garage List
I can relate to this. I'm a bit obsessive about keeping my cars clean, especially since the 3er lives outside 100% of the time and the cab is garaged. I use the time washing the cars as a bit of alone time and it's cathartic.
I've always been meticulous about the cleanliness of my cars since my very first car. My wife doesn't mind as hers gets a wash when I just can't stand it any more (I clean the outside since she hauls the dogs around and the inside is her responsibility).
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #28
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
I can relate to this. I'm a bit obsessive about keeping my cars clean, especially since the 3er lives outside 100% of the time and the cab is garaged. I use the time washing the cars as a bit of alone time and it's cathartic.
I've always been meticulous about the cleanliness of my cars since my very first car. My wife doesn't mind as hers gets a wash when I just can't stand it any more (I clean the outside since she hauls the dogs around and the inside is her responsibility).
This is me with my wife's car. I get more upset when it's filthy dirty than she does, then finally I clean it. Last time I cleaned it inside and out, vacuumed it, cleaned the seats/dash. Then after cleaning the outside I hit it with some ceramic coating.

She went to her moms house the next day and they were all so impressed they wanted me to clean their cars. I said yeah keep making fun of me...then you see what a car cleaned properly can look like.
      07-18-2020, 10:18 AM   #29
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I've calmed down in my 40's. Up until now any bugs on the car after a drive had to be removed. Bird lime gets removed straight away. My trunk was always stuffed of detailing gear. Rags. Towels. Sprays. Waterless wash. Wipes. You name it. Now it is about half full and I have usable space.

I always thought of it as making an impression and I didn't want to go anywhere without taking pride in appearance. It's like the car was an extension of me! We did go lot's of places though. Weddings (many friends). Always some family function. I also felt ready to face my father in law as he loves cars and detailing. For father's day I detailed his car and he was so happy.

Now it's just a weekly wash but definitely a detail if we are going to meet people. That's not happening due to Covid-19. During covid I have been fully detailing. Learned to touch in rock chips and wet sanding.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2020, 01:34 PM   #30
Chukker
Mini Cooper, Present F15 Owner
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 D

There's something about having a "squared-away attitude" toward life that makes you take care of what you own. It goes beyond cars, however, as I explained to my adult son as I was detailing his car (he came to our place for vacation) it's like zen meditation for me to work the panels of the vehicles and coaxing the excellence out of 'em. You can see what you've done, you can see what you have left to do. I find it very gratifying. And...I don't have a lawn to mow, but a 4 car man cave and all the things that make detailing cars a labor of love!
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2020, 05:10 PM   #31
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukker View Post
There's something about having a "squared-away attitude" toward life that makes you take care of what you own. It goes beyond cars, however, as I explained to my adult son as I was detailing his car (he came to our place for vacation) it's like zen meditation for me to work the panels of the vehicles and coaxing the excellence out of 'em. You can see what you've done, you can see what you have left to do. I find it very gratifying. And...I don't have a lawn to mow, but a 4 car man cave and all the things that make detailing cars a labor of love!
For me I came from nothing and my mother raised my brother and I herself. So we didn't have much and I started working full time when I was 15. So I've always had that attitude to appreciate things more than maybe most people would.
      08-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #32
//Melon
Designer, Builder, Thrasher of Tires.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1987 BMW 325, 2014 BMW 328i

I keep all my cars clear, regardless of make/model. I keep my garage/house/yard clean as well, I just like my life clean.

Not a big fan of dirt.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2020, 01:10 PM   #33
//Melon
Designer, Builder, Thrasher of Tires.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1987 BMW 325, 2014 BMW 328i

Quote:
I get the Zen part 100%

It's just, I don't always have the time, and I don't have a covered area for washing, and in the 100 degree Louisiana sun, it's not always conducive to washing/detailing.
Appreciate 2
      08-29-2021, 11:58 AM   #34
c0ndu
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

You are not alone. I try to keep my cars clean and I'm always having discussions with my wife about this topic. )
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 12:51 PM   #35
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by //Melon View Post
I don't always have the time, and I don't have a covered area for washing, and in the 100 degree Louisiana sun, it's not always conducive to washing/detailing.
Use this, after dinner, when you need to work off that gumbo anyway. All you need is a bucket and a few MF towels. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=nextsta832-20
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 12:03 AM   #36
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, 330i xdrive

Can't say I have OCD, sometimes it's a few weeks to a few months between cleanings, usually in the longer stints the wife will take it through the drive through washes. But when I do wash it, it's a spray down with the soap, soap/scrub by hand, rinse with spray, then wax body and rain x windows ( going to try aquapel next since I literally just used the last of the rain x yesterday).
I will say I love the way the water beads off after waxing, but I've stopped being royally anal about the car, I've literally never had a car that has had such a terrible sh!t paint job on it in my life. Chips all over the front bumper and hood like you wouldn't believe and the same for the windscreen. A few I know for sure were actual rocks thrown off of a tire and were visible when bouncing/flying, but that's only maybe 4 of the 30 or 40 paint chips/picks/windscreen picks. So now I just do 90% of the hood, and 100% of everything else, with care.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 12:15 PM   #37
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Ok so am I the only one who's friends and family think I'm crazy because I obsess about keeping my car clean? I honestly don't care. I mean if I drove a Prius or a Saturn Ion I probably wouldn't care either. But it's a BMW, I feel like it deserves to be taken care of.
I would clean whatever car I have. I have done that always. Keeping car clean i brand agnostic situation for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 08:55 AM   #38
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
I'm sure my neighbors think I'm crazy. I can't say my car is always sparkling clean since it loves to be driven, but it gets a full detail at least once every two weeks. Usually in my driveway after 8 p.m. with the pressure washer/foam cannon, two bucket system, microfiber dry, tire shine, whole 9 yards. With my house lights on, but in the dark. Interior detail is similar, but at least I can do that one in the garage so I don't look quite as insane.

Single dad with a full time job, just gotta fit crap in when you can.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 09:20 AM   #39
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Just wait until they see you washing it WHILE it's raining!

I've done it a couple times before a full detail session. I dry it off in the garage, but I was sure an ambulance was going to show up and someone would try to haul me away.
LOL I've done this. Dry it in the garage

I've also done the rain wash where it's been raining all week, and I know it's going to keep raining, but I've got to wash the road sludge off the poor thing.
      09-09-2021, 03:50 PM   #40
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by //Melon View Post
Quote:
I get the Zen part 100%

It's just, I don't always have the time, and I don't have a covered area for washing, and in the 100 degree Louisiana sun, it's not always conducive to washing/detailing.
I am just up the road from you. I just wash early in the morning before the sun is too bright and then dry and detail in the garage or I tackle it in the evening when my driveway is shaded (and then detail if needed in the garage). You are correct that when it is hot as hades washing a car is not only no fun, but it is a no-no.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 03:51 PM   #41
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnf30x View Post
I'm sure my neighbors think I'm crazy. I can't say my car is always sparkling clean since it loves to be driven, but it gets a full detail at least once every two weeks. Usually in my driveway after 8 p.m. with the pressure washer/foam cannon, two bucket system, microfiber dry, tire shine, whole 9 yards. With my house lights on, but in the dark. Interior detail is similar, but at least I can do that one in the garage so I don't look quite as insane.

Single dad with a full time job, just gotta fit crap in when you can.
I here you on fitting stuff in when you can. I'm not a single dad, but with 3 kids all doing different things, it is hard to find time sometimes. That plus Louisiana sun, which often for me is the deciding factor, and I have to do the same thing; either early in the morning or evening or night (as mentioned above).
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 12:50 PM   #42
MEN54
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330 xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECTO1 View Post
Same here I'm always trying new products out that I think might give me an edge.

There is a girl I work with and her car is always covered in bird poo leaves it on for days not a care in the world, and all I want to do is take my bottle of spit and clean it up. But then I would realize how etched her paint is underneath so all I do shake my head and cry a little inside. I think I asked her once why don't you clean it off and her response was when it rains thats when I get my car washes .
And I am sure the interior of those cars would be filthy as well and imagine air filter never changed and carpet never vacuumed, yikes
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 07:30 PM   #43
Dagstar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M Sport

I met all my neighbors from being outside twice a week cleaning my Camaro. One even commented I take better car of my car than she does her kids. Now that I have the F31 and an apartment I'm getting to know my friend's neighbor since I take my car to his house to clean it, lol. Some think I live there since I'm always doing something to it in his driveway.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 02:01 PM   #44
unsayf
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d XDrive Step Auto

My last car was lucky if it got cleaned once in a season. Since I got the F30, I've spent a small fortune on detailing products and I'm on the driveway each and every weekend armed with the snow foam lance and two buckets.

What's happening??
Appreciate 0