F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Apple CarPlay Retrofit - Done! (Update:16/11/18...now also with full screen function)
ARMA SPEED

12-03-2018, 08:28 AM   #243
Simon89
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D XDrive

wibbles

Am I specifically looking for the NBT EVO unit for ID5/6?
      12-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #244
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon89 View Post
wibbles

Am I specifically looking for the NBT EVO unit for ID5/6?
If you want to run carplay natively then yes.

as i said buying any old system from ebay is a bad idea. generally they need to be flashed and coded to your car. You must run an emulator unless your car is already fitted with an ATM - if this is the case then you can run it without an emulator as long as it is on the same VIN as your car.

in your case, you have a business nav system so you have a TCU in the boot, not the ATM, and require either an ATM retrofit or an ATM emulator.
      12-03-2018, 12:09 PM   #245
starwilling
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwilling View Post
Hi, do you sale OEM CarPlay FSC?
There is no such thing as an OEM Carplay FSC code - BMW activate via Provisioning file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatwok View Post
How do I find out if my 2018 328d wagon has enhanced Bluetooth and wifi antenna? I would really like to get carplay and screen mirroring.
Check your VIN in an online decoder - see if your car has any of the following options: 6NW. 6WD, 6CP - if yes then you have the antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrklaw View Post
No navigation or now playing info in the instrument cluster from CarPlay? Apparently that’s been an option in CarPlay since 2016 but isn’t widely supported
That is down to BMw not integrating carplay in that manner.

Quote:
My F30 is a late 2013 model with the business navigation (champ). Can I buy an NBT headunit and screen, install and activate CarPlay?
Yes but more than just the headunit & screen are required - Most NBT Evo ID5 units don't have a GPS socket on the back so a special emulator is required or an ATM retrofit in order to supply the GPS signal to the headunit.
I understand what you said, but NBT evo does have a FSC code for CarPlay which is 143. As for NBT EVO with I Step 2018-11, the patch for CarPlay won't work, it looks like you either have to downgrade the software and then patch or go buy the FSC from BMW to enable it.

If I did not make myself clear, this is what I mean. If you downgrade and patch, there is no way going back even with a FSC repair pack, so using FSC from BMW is a more promising way with less potential problems in the future. Do you have good solutions for this to enable the native CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #246
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Is it touch screen and wireless?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #247
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi, do you sale OEM CarPlay FSC?
There is no such thing as an OEM Carplay FSC code - BMW activate via Provisioning file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatwok View Post
How do I find out if my 2018 328d wagon has enhanced Bluetooth and wifi antenna? I would really like to get carplay and screen mirroring.
Check your VIN in an online decoder - see if your car has any of the following options: 6NW. 6WD, 6CP - if yes then you have the antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrklaw View Post
No navigation or now playing info in the instrument cluster from CarPlay? Apparently that's been an option in CarPlay since 2016 but isn't widely supported
That is down to BMw not integrating carplay in that manner.

Quote:
My F30 is a late 2013 model with the business navigation (champ). Can I buy an NBT headunit and screen, install and activate CarPlay?
Yes but more than just the headunit & screen are required - Most NBT Evo ID5 units don't have a GPS socket on the back so a special emulator is required or an ATM retrofit in order to supply the GPS signal to the headunit.
c
I understand what you said, but NBT evo does have a FSC code for CarPlay which is 143. As for NBT EVO with I Step 2018-11, the patch for CarPlay won't work, it looks like you either have to downgrade the software and then patch or go buy the FSC from BMW to enable it.

If I did not make myself clear, this is what I mean. If you downgrade and patch, there is no way going back even with a FSC repair pack, so using FSC from BMW is a more promising way with less potential problems in the future. Do you have good solutions for this to enable the native CarPlay?
You cannot buy FSC code 143 from BMW.

As I said BMW activate via provisioning. you can always downgrade and load FSCsfrom BMW.
      12-11-2018, 02:59 AM   #248
filmguyuk
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series GT

CarPlay assistance sought

Hi, all. I've been reading this thread for a little while.

I've got a 5 Series GT (LCI FO7), 2014 with what I believe has ID4 installed. I wasn't massively bothered about Carplay but in the short time I've had it, there have been major problems getting the Spotify app to work. I do a fair bit of driving and it's frustrating the hell out of me.

Having tried lots of things from swopping lightening cables, to resetting my iPhone, to updating the software via BMW's update website - I'm no further forward.

All I had wanted was to use the Spotify app consistently. Can I ask, would a Carplay MMI resolve these issues without creating me more problems? For me consistent functionality is the main thing, I also don't want to cause myself any problems with the existing ID system. I love the maps and also don't like the idea of a future service wiping out any sort of coding. Just want to understand the options.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #249
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

So according to the CarPlay video here - full screen is now available natively

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1564298
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 03:14 AM   #250
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
So according to the CarPlay video here - full screen is now available natively

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1564298
The G series car there is using ID7 though
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:41 AM   #251
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 320i msport

What do I need on a 2018 f36 with ID6 to have the option of CarPlay - not available via connected drive store. Do I need Wi-Fi antenna or some other hardware?
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2018, 05:32 AM   #252
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Only possible hardware you would need in that instance would be a WiFi antenna!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 08:28 AM   #253
K3V1NR
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D X-Drive M Sport

Hi I have just picked up a spanky new 420D x-drive M Sport, now whilst I think this is an awesome car, the fact it didn't do what I expected from the bluetooth, i.e no enhanced bluetooth as i assumed wrongly that bluetooth would be like every other car the same.

I read through the forums and some are saying that you can no longer code the NAV with USB due to a firmware lockdown is that right ? as its so new i assume im on the latest everything in terms of firmware.

I am looking to enable the enhanced bluetooth so i can read emails etc and android screen mirroring, I know i don't have the wifi antenna as that wasn't on the spec.

Any help gratefully received.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #254
springer222
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d M SPORT LCI

Hi,

Any news/update on the full screen carplay fix?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:10 PM   #255
Grale
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i MSport F30

wibbles

Not sure if I can activate CarPlay on my hardware. Any help much appreciated.

I have a F32 Msport 2015

Details on navigation

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Last edited by Grale; 12-22-2018 at 04:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 01:31 PM   #256
Pizzaeatingking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VAG

Been reading through some of this....

I have a 2018 F30, it has iDrive 6 I believe. Is there any way of getting CarPlay without the issues spoken about when the car goes to BMW?

I’m in the UK if that makes any difference, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #257
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

contact @wibbles - I see you are in the North East? He is too.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 05:26 PM   #258
jbeer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport Shadow Edition

Garage List
Hi,

I just a few questions for you surrounding FSC Codes for CarPlay?

I have a F30 2018 with Pro Nav [609] so I believe that I just need the Wi-Fi antenna and the FSC code.

If I got an FSC and it is VIN Number linked if BMW do an iDrive software update will CarPlay be retained as it is FSC Code linked to my VIN or would I loose this?

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 02:23 AM   #259
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeer View Post
Hi,

I just a few questions for you surrounding FSC Codes for CarPlay?

I have a F30 2018 with Pro Nav [609] so I believe that I just need the Wi-Fi antenna and the FSC code.

If I got an FSC and it is VIN Number linked if BMW do an iDrive software update will CarPlay be retained as it is FSC Code linked to my VIN or would I loose this?

Thanks
If BMW do a software update, then it'll be lost, though you might be able to re-activate it via the USB bin again.

However, wibbles and some others can do software updates for you ( for cheaper then a dealer can!), so if you want that doing, do there first then stick a post-it note on the headunit that says "DO NOT FLASH/UPDATE ECUS" and make it clear to the aftersales staff.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 03:12 AM   #260
jbeer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If BMW do a software update, then it'll be lost, though you might be able to re-activate it via the USB bin again.

However, wibbles and some others can do software updates for you ( for cheaper then a dealer can!), so if you want that doing, do there first then stick a post-it note on the headunit that says "DO NOT FLASH/UPDATE ECUS" and make it clear to the aftersales staff.
That's a shame I was hoping or at least thought that a lifetime FSC code linked to your VIN meant that it was listed in the 'as built' list

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 04:23 AM   #261
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeer View Post
That's a shame I was hoping or at least thought that a lifetime FSC code linked to your VIN meant that it was listed in the 'as built' list
The lifetime code is 'valid', but in order to install it, the head unit is "patched" to allow an unofficial certificate. This patch is lost via an i-step update, so needs to be reapplied.

It should just be as easy as whacking the usb stick in , but unfortunately, since November, USB Bin's are disabled, and instead you need to connect your car to special software.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 02:22 PM   #262
jbeer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It should just be as easy as whacking the usb stick in , but unfortunately, since November, USB Bin's are disabled, and instead you need to connect your car to special software.
I see, what special software is needed?

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 04:53 PM   #263
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

I have a late 16 car with Evo Id5. No wifi hotspot option so I’ve ordered the antenna.

What are my options in relation to Car Play activation?
Car is still on original I-levels, but I do plan on updating this soon.

So I guess I can do the activation via usb at the moment, but after the new ilevels, that will be gone?
Also can the ista next retrofit CarPlay option, obviously at a cost, to make it permanent?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 05:45 PM   #264
fsfikke
Private
Rep
Drives: 330e

Quote:
It's not a magic combination of FDL coding, it's more than that. FDL coding alone won't achieve this.
Hi Wibbles, just setting the carplay_fullscreen fdl to aktiv won't cut it. But people are offering "fullscreen FSC codes" online. So it should be possible somehow right, they are just capitalizing on the shortage of information on how to do it*. Any idea how this should be done?

I have iDrive 6 and CarPlay all from factory, just would like to have it full-screen

*Ahh, you're doing the same :P That's why you're not giving away any hints
Appreciate 0