F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Best fix for 'crashy' front suspension
GetBMWParts

02-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
NateDog07V
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M235i BSM Auto

Best fix for 'crashy' front suspension

As the title states, whats the best way to combat the 'crashy' feeling the front suspension exudes when going over mildly choppy roads... especially while in turns. I've tried describing this feeling many ways, but i think most of you know what i'm talking about (looseness, unnerving, spastic, almost like the front wheels are easily getting bounced around perpendicular the the direction of travel, etc.)
My car is a 335i M-Sport with DHP. I have no issues with the steering and am not looking to drop the car exceptionally far (~1" max) , but i am going to need new tires soon and am looking to possibly address this as well at the same time (going one tick wider with PSS in 235/40/19 and 265/35/19). My fiancé recently picked up a new base model c300 and its dampening is so much better in 'Sport' mode over choppy DC roads than the F30 it's ridiculous. Obviously it's a bit more comfort/luxury oriented and has 4matic, but something just flat out feels off with the front suspension dynamics on the f30.
It seems some folks say the Dinan springs and revised bump stops help with this issue, while others say you might as well just go with coilovers... so all that being said, whats your best recommendation without breaking the wallet? Thx !
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #2
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive

Garage List
Your best "bang for buck" is going to be get better tires - i.e. non-runflat. Unfortunatly you've got 19" wheels which are going to be crashyer than 18's (shorter sidewall)

If you're not tracking the car, get the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires - looks like you're already on that track

I'd evaluate the car after the tire change before messing with any of the suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 07:13 PM   #3
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by utenigma View Post
Your best "bang for buck" is going to be get better tires - i.e. non-runflat. Unfortunatly you've got 19" wheels which are going to be crashyer than 18's (shorter sidewall)

If you're not tracking the car, get the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires - looks like you're already on that track

I'd evaluate the car after the tire change before messing with any of the suspension
I agree 100%. If you do change suspension, I am pretty happy with the results for $ spent of Dinan springs/Shockware w/ H&R sway bars. If you decide to go the coil over route, I would suggest going with one of the high end solutions (e.g. but not limited to, Motion Control, JRZ, etc.), or don't bother.
      02-19-2015, 06:58 AM   #4
Shazsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Why go for higher end coilovers as opposed to say BC Racing?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #5
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazsta View Post
Why go for higher end coilovers as opposed to say BC Racing?
Maybe it's just me, but if I'm going to replace OEM parts, I prefer parts of an equal or higher quality.
      02-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
Shazsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Maybe it's just me, but if I'm going to replace OEM parts, I prefer parts of an equal or higher quality.
True, I want Bilstein PSS10's for my xDrive, but nobody is selling them in the US and I don't know if they are 2.5x better than BC Racing.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #7
NateDog07V
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M235i BSM Auto

Appreciate the feedback.. I'll go with tires in the spring and if i'm still not happy maybe i can track down someone local that has the Dinan springs to get a ride and see how that is before doing anything suspension wise
Appreciate 0