F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > EGR Recall - 335d
proTUNING Freaks

09-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #45
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Hopefully that'll be the case but when my car had a software update, especially one that I'm told by the dealer will take "hours and possibly overnight", the map was wiped. If the EGR can be coded without a full update I'll be happy.
Seems to be conflicting information from different people whether or not it requires a full software update or just coding of the parts.

Also, I'm interested in what exactly is changed with the replacement parts, if anyone can find out, ...I assume its a new fixed design of EGR cooler going on the car.
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      09-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #46
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Seems to be conflicting information from different people whether or not it requires a full software update or just coding of the parts.

Also, I'm interested in what exactly is changed with the replacement parts, if anyone can find out, ...I assume its a new fixed design of EGR cooler going on the car.
I am waiting for a call from the Service Manager to discuss in more detail. When I called the service dept about the recall it's clearly for the EGR cooler, "and the EGR itself may be changed if required". They weren't clear what would make an EGR valve replacement "required". I'm hoping that general condition and coking will be taken into account. My car has done around 80K miles so a new EGR would be very welcome.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      09-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #47
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Perhaps the new software is emission related? Deleting cheat software maybe!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      09-22-2018, 12:31 PM   #48
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
I am waiting for a call from the Service Manager to discuss in more detail. When I called the service dept about the recall it's clearly for the EGR cooler, "and the EGR itself may be changed if required". They weren't clear what would make an EGR valve replacement "required". I'm hoping that general condition and coking will be taken into account. My car has done around 80K miles so a new EGR would be very welcome.
Be interesting to see what he has to say when he calls
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      09-22-2018, 12:34 PM   #49
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Perhaps the new software is emission related? Deleting cheat software maybe!
If that's all it and it's not required for the new parts to work they can keep the software (and possibly worse mpg) and I'll keep my remap
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      09-22-2018, 02:11 PM   #50
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy619 View Post
Thank goodness for the Dms free map re-install.. Makes sense to have paid more now.
My vastly cheaper Celtic Tuning remap will also redo free of charge if overwritten, was one of the first questions I asked!
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      09-22-2018, 03:13 PM   #51
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy619 View Post
Thank goodness for the Dms free map re-install.. Makes sense to have paid more now.
My vastly cheaper Celtic Tuning remap will also redo free of charge if overwritten, was one of the first questions I asked!
Excellent.. Is that as many times as needed for 3 years including removal for servicing as required
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      09-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #52
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
I think most tuners either do it for free or a small fee (such as £50) if it gets wiped and you take the car to them.
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      09-22-2018, 04:51 PM   #53
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Does this recall apply to 330d’s too or just the 335d’s??
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #54
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchoa View Post
Yep..but I'm not sure on the exact manufacture date range for each specific model in the Europe recall

Here's the precise details on the Korean recall, as you can see manufacture date varies from model to model
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      09-22-2018, 05:29 PM   #55
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Funnily enough, last week our 2014 530dGT gulped a load of coolant and the cabin has been whiffing of diesel fumes since. Going through cooolant max to min marks in a few hundred miles, so I reckon the egr cooler has shit itself.
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      09-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #56
ryanwarriors9
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 530D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwarriors9 View Post
I had mine done without coding and update but I do have a mate at bmw this was before the recall it’s cost me £100. They honoured the repair parts etc car was out of warranty
Quote:
Yep. Remap would need to be reapplied.

Ryan seems to suggest it is possible to switch the parts without a full software update though?

There's also a difference between coding a part to the car and performing a full ecu software update too remember, ..only the latter would wipe the remap etc.
100 percent mine wasn't updated by them. So it's defo not "needed" you can get someone to do a full software update without wiping the map anyway bmw just obviously won't
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 04:48 AM   #57
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I had a long chat with the Service Manager at my dealer yesterday. Seems the process is :

Strip the EGR cooler and visually inspect. They are specifically looking for signs of coolant inside the cooler, and coking.

Depending on the inspection of the cooler, they may then remove the EGR and inspect that as well.

Depending on the condition of the cooler and the EGR they may also remove the inlet manifold and the throttle body for inspection.

If the only cooler needs to be replaced, its just fitting of as new part. If the EGR needs to be replaced they should be able to do isolated coding and not wipe other ECUs in the car.

They want the car for two days to make surer that there's sufficient time.

Personally I'm hoping for at least a new cooler and EGR. The car has done 80K miles and I'll be amazed if there's not substantial soot/sludge/coking in these components.

Mine is booked for 17th October, due to loan car availability, so I'll let you know how it goes.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 4
JD64196.00
Hooded1669.00
Tengocity8560.00
LobB5109.00
      09-25-2018, 05:08 AM   #58
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
I had a long chat with the Service Manager at my dealer yesterday. Seems the process is :

Strip the EGR cooler and visually inspect. They are specifically looking for signs of coolant inside the cooler, and coking.

Depending on the inspection of the cooler, they may then remove the EGR and inspect that as well.

Depending on the condition of the cooler and the EGR they may also remove the inlet manifold and the throttle body for inspection.

If the only cooler needs to be replaced, its just fitting of as new part. If the EGR needs to be replaced they should be able to do isolated coding and not wipe other ECUs in the car.

Personally I'm hoping for at least a new cooler and EGR. The car has done 80K miles and I'll be amazed if there's not substantial soot/sludge/coking in these components.

Mine is booked for 17th October, due to loan car availability, so I'll let you know how it goes.
Very interesting. Mine was in last week for something else and on arrival they told me that they would be doing the EGR too. When I collected it that evening they said that they couldn't do the EGR and have now booked it in in a couple of weeks. I suspect that this related to loan car availability - the EGR may take 2 days and they needed the loan car back.

I had my EGR replaced under warranty about a year ago, so presumably it won't be too coked-up, but I will see what they decide to do.
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      09-25-2018, 06:28 AM   #59
Northernlight76
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport plus

I’ve got a 2014 330d and the dealer said that my car was flagged in the system for the EGR issue so booked it in before they changed their mind!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 06:56 AM   #60
b16jsy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport Plus Auto

I rang my dealer on Saturday to see if my car is affected (2013 330d) - they told me it is and I'm booked in for this Friday. They didn't mention how long it would take but I am getting a loan car from them too.
Timing seems to be quite good, as I've just had to top my coolant up at the weekend, so suspect mine will be a definite replacement - as well as the fact my car is on 122,000 miles and out of warranty. Looks like I might lose my remap, but will see what happens...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 08:09 AM   #61
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:

Mine is due in on Thursday this week for end of Warranty check and the recall.

On Saturday i dropped by the dealers and sat with the Service Manager. I asked if the recall would involve a full software upgrade as I had coding options. He said yes. I twisted a bit and then he told me to hang on as he was going to tell me for certain. He got my reg and went onto the database. He then said that my car would not need the EGR valve replaced and would just need the EGR cooler done, which does not require a software reload.
I asked him if he was sure and he seemed absolutely certain, showing me the screen which flagged up just the cooler for my car. He said only vehicles which need the EGR valve to be replaced would need the full software upload.

Its strange that he thought you could tell the work involved by the car data and the Service Manager (Watsey) is talking about above thinks that you would only find out what is required after an inspection.

So mine is 335d build May 2015, just before the LCI I think.

When I go in on Thursday I am going to hand them a note explaining what was said and that under no circumstances do they do a full software upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 10:02 AM   #62
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Called nottingham sytner and my car came up for a egr cooler recall. What does this mean and will the egr be replaced at the same time too?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #63
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Called nottingham sytner and my car came up for a egr cooler recall. What does this mean and will the egr be replaced at the same time too?
There is conflicting info on this thread so we are not sure. However if the Service Manager I spoke to is to be believed then there is a good chance yours will just be the cooler (like mine) and will not need the full software update.

I will find out for certain on Thursday.

What is the build date of your car, out of interest?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #64
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

Quote:
Had mine done last week

Evdok

Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      09-25-2018, 10:57 AM   #65
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveS View Post
There is conflicting info on this thread so we are not sure. However if the Service Manager I spoke to is to be believed then there is a good chance yours will just be the cooler (like mine) and will not need the full software update.

Thanks

Its a June 2013 330d. I dont have a remap so would actually want the cooler and egr to be replaced whilst its under a recall. Guess will have to wait and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #66
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveS View Post

Still conflicting yes, .. the service manager you spoke to told you if you need the EGR valve replaced it would require a full software upload, but the service manager Watsey spoke to told him they could just code the EGR without wiping the other ECU's (much preferable for anyone with coding and/or a remap).
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00