F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > dash cams, advice please!
proTUNING Freaks

12-10-2018, 12:03 PM   #45
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrklaw View Post
will it run off 5v USB? that could be good to run off a powerbank and then swap them over so I always have one on the go
Yes uses 5v not sure of the amperage though.

I bought one of these the weekend from Amazon

REARMASTER Universal OBD Power Cable for Dash Camera,24 hours Surveillance with mode switch button (mini-usb)

It has a switch built in to select whether the power shuts off after 5 minutes of the ignition being turned off or it can stay live permanently or until the battery gets to 11.9 v.

This way I can select parking mode as and when I need it just by flicking the switch.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #46
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

I bought a Yi dash cam on amazons deal of the day to put in my wife's car as a baseline test before the 440i arrives. Not expecting it to be amazing but will be intrigued to see what it can do for so little money.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #47
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueislander View Post
I bought a Yi dash cam on amazons deal of the day to put in my wife's car as a baseline test before the 440i arrives. Not expecting it to be amazing but will be intrigued to see what it can do for so little money.
The Yi dash cam (grey one, black one not meant to be as good) is excellent value for money. Was recently £24.99 on amazon and I was looking for an excuse to buy another one.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2018, 06:14 AM   #48
Bigyin1314
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36 435d

Slight thread hijack but for those with the BlackVue 750, is it possible to turn off parking mode?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 07:11 AM   #49
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyin1314 View Post
Slight thread hijack but for those with the BlackVue 750, is it possible to turn off parking mode?
Yes. I think you do it through the app on your phone.

That said, it doesn't really matter if you wire it to an ignition controlled power source, as it will completely power down with the ignition.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 12:37 AM   #50
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 320i msport

Halfords have the Nextbase 512GW for £100. I don’t feel I want to go to the faff of hardwiring and dealing with battery warnings etc and the 512 seems to have a basic parking mode using internal battery which should be enough for eg supermarket parking etc - should be enough for me

Anyone got a 512?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 03:19 AM   #51
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Just get halfirds to fit it for you... Just tell them where on the screen you want it... £30 job done
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #52
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

Quote:
Halfords have the Nextbase 512GW for £100. I don’t feel I want to go to the faff of hardwiring and dealing with battery warnings etc and the 512 seems to have a basic parking mode using internal battery which should be enough for eg supermarket parking etc - should be enough for me

Anyone got a 512?
I have a 312 still running, but picked up the 512 bundle today. Seems to have disappeared online though.

Use the lighter socket by the passenger footwell, or pay the £30 (of which you get a hard wire kit included that ‘retails’ at £20). £10 fitting all in all.

This helps if down the line after a year, the battery degrades you can use the permanent live fuse (it cuts off around 12v if I recall correctly), whilst in the meantime you use a ignition live only. Ignition live will not give you battery drain warnings as it’s only whilst the engine or ignition is on. The former can also be set to only turn on using car battery power when a knock is detected. If you get so many knocks the battery is flat I’m sure you have other problems to worry about. Then you’d have whatever quota using the internal batteries if there’s still any more knocking to do.

Smart intelligent parking mode it’s called on the Nextbase forums, you do need to update the firmware though.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:50 AM   #53
ukblade
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435d xdrive

Halfords 25% sale on dashcams from 12th Dec.
Just bought Blackvue DR750S-2CH Dash Cam with Rear Dash cam and SD Card for £259 if that helps.
      12-13-2018, 03:42 AM   #54
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukblade View Post
Halfords 25% sale on dashcams from 12th Dec.
Just bought Blackvue DR750S-2CH Dash Cam with Rear Dash cam and SD Card for £259 if that helps.
Thanks for the info, been looking for one of these myself, Amazon have got them up for the same price, but things would be much easier to buy them from your local Halfords, did you ask for a price for fitting ?. If it was just the front i'd have a go myself, but don't fancy wiring in to the fuse box or threading the wire through to the rear cam
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 04:18 AM   #55
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
Thanks for the info, been looking for one of these myself, Amazon have got them up for the same price, but things would be much easier to buy them from your local Halfords, did you ask for a price for fitting ?. If it was just the front i'd have a go myself, but don't fancy wiring in to the fuse box or threading the wire through to the rear cam
seems to be fixed 30 for fitting. Still wary about rear cams and DAB, but with the fuses being in the back I'd rather get any hardwire install done by someone else than me. I could probably handle a glovebox cig lighter install myself.

Also still wary about parking mode. Don't want issues with my battery or idrive warnings about power drainage (even if battery is fine)

Nextbase 512GW seems ideal - cig lighter install, can have some parking mode using internal battery which should be enough for basic car park dings. But it looks lumpy and not very 'stealth' - don't want anything too obvious on display in case some twot tries to nick it

A119 is much more discreet but no parking mode, and thinkware/blackvue are discreet but expensive
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 05:46 AM   #56
ViRUS_RiP
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335D M Sport

Quote:
will it run off 5v USB? that could be good to run off a powerbank and then swap them over so I always have one on the go
Yes, I have the A129 Duo too, installed it about a week ago and run it off a power bank when parked for a short time. Actually tested it with a fully charged bank Monday night (EC Technology 20,000 mah). Recorded all night, did 13 hours and had 1 bar out of 4 left in the morning.

I also have the HK3 hardwire kit, not installed it and may not yet. I park on the street at night, not the safest place where I live, though after around midnight, windows get all misted/frosted over in this weather so can't see anything out of them anyway.

Really good set up and video quality is great front and rear.
Appreciate 1
Mrklaw169.00
      12-13-2018, 07:29 AM   #57
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
seems to be fixed 30 for fitting. Still wary about rear cams and DAB, but with the fuses being in the back I'd rather get any hardwire install done by someone else than me. I could probably handle a glovebox cig lighter install myself.
Is that 30 per camera, sounds pretty cheap to do both for 30 quid
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 07:47 AM   #58
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Is that 30 per camera, sounds pretty cheap to do both for 30 quid
thats what I thought - seems a flat rate whether you buy a front cam or a two-cam kit. Only caveat is you have to buy it from them, along with any hardwiring kit that may not be included in the standard pack.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #59
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
thats what I thought - seems a flat rate whether you buy a front cam or a two-cam kit. Only caveat is you have to buy it from them, along with any hardwiring kit that may not be included in the standard pack.
Just nipped in to Halfords, fitting is £30 for front cam, £50 for front and rear, both are pretty good value as it includes the hardwire kit (£20 in store) and the piggy back fuse which are normally about £4.99. Just can't decide whether i need the Magic pro thingy me bob if i do go for the Blackvue 750, Garmins do get good reviews, decisions decisions !!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #60
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Just nipped in to Halfords, fitting is £30 for front cam, £50 for front and rear, both are pretty good value as it includes the hardwire kit (£20 in store) and the piggy back fuse which are normally about £4.99. Just can't decide whether i need the Magic pro thingy me bob ?
magic thingummy bob is for protecting your car battery. So if you're using parking mode, the camera will continue to use power and the magic thing cuts it off at preset voltages to protect the car.

If you're using parking mode its pretty much essential I think - although be aware some cameras have similar features built in (thinkware F800pro and maybe the 770?) so you wouldn't need it for those.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2018, 09:53 AM   #61
ViRUS_RiP
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335D M Sport

Quote:
magic thingummy bob is for protecting your car battery. So if you're using parking mode, the camera will continue to use power and the magic thing cuts it off at preset voltages to protect the car.

If you're using parking mode its pretty much essential I think - although be aware some cameras have similar features built in (thinkware F800pro and maybe the 770?) so you wouldn't need it for those.
Agreed that PMP and similar are recommended if using parking mode for extensive durations such as all night, especially in the winter.

A129's hardwire kit comes with something similar where it cuts off power once battery reaches set voltage point:

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #62
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

You would have thought with the price of the Blackvue that this would be built in, like the Thinkware, as one of the main reasons you buy these is for the parking mode, and if you use the parking mode then you need the voltage drop protector, shame there isn't a cheaper alternative.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #63
Vasumir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:
Quote:

You would have thought with the price of the Blackvue that this would be built in, like the Thinkware, as one of the main reasons you buy these is for the parking mode, and if you use the parking mode then you need the voltage drop protector, shame there isn't a cheaper alternative.
The previous poster talked about the cheaper alternative. It's the viofo a129 duo, costs about £150ish with hardwire kit for parking mode.
I myself was looking at thinkware and blackvue but couldn't justify paying over double the price of the viofo offering.
Picture quality is great, I haven't hardwired it up yet, probably a job for the weekend!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #64
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasumir View Post
The previous poster talked about the cheaper alternative. It's the viofo a129 duo, costs about £150ish with hardwire kit for parking mode.
I myself was looking at thinkware and blackvue but couldn't justify paying over double the price of the viofo offering.
Picture quality is great, I haven't hardwired it up yet, probably a job for the weekend!
Didn't mean the dashcam, i meant the voltage drop protector gismo. I can put up with paying £260 for the dashcam but it's a bit much to have to pay an extra 40 quid for the magic pro (i know you can get them for 30 on Amazon, but they seem hit and miss with the quality)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #65
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasumir View Post
Was looking at the 119 but I think that doesn’t have the voltage cutoff. Also wouldn’t be installable by Halfords as they don’t sell it. Third party installers are a lot more expensive which makes the cheaper Dashcam more like the price of the higher end ones once installed
Appreciate 1
APJ242.00
      12-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #66
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

Dash cams are very easy DIY, even easier in BMW's with a fuse panel behind the glovebox if wanting parking mode or just use the cigarette lighter under neath.
Appreciate 1