F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Car Accident =(
Studio RSR

12-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #23
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

The other car attempts to brake about 3 feet from the markings, you can see the weight transfer to the front, so I suspect they suddenly realised there was a junction, but not that they were about to get hit because they clearly didn't look. His insurer will fold as soon as they see this.

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #24
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by A13x View Post
thanks all, feeling better. just soo lucky the little one was not in the car. I was a corner away away from pick up.

yes didn't slow down at all. unsure if they noticed road markings because no sign of slowing down or stopping.

got a brand new merc e class amg 2.2 with no fold down seats =(

need to go through this crap on Monday as they are saying I am at fault. if this continues I am tempted to just keep the merc for longer as its a few hundred plus a week. I don't really want to be that person who submits the dash footage for prosecution but I am getting pushed to do so.

If my daughter was in the car or this was someone else it could have been far worse. the neighbours came out asking for speed bumps but that's not going to help someone ignoring rules of the road and just burning across without stopping
You've got no worries. You have the dash cam footage. When I got hit the second time, lady came out saying I hit the brakes on her (I was stationary in a queue). Footage was sent to both insurance companies, other side folded within the same day.

Boom. Got an S Class replacement.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 02:51 PM   #25
Ss66
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

As others have said,give footage to plod and your insurers. Job done.
2008 Toyota Yaris sr
2005 e46 320d. 1996 316i.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 03:44 PM   #26
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

Plod might do her for dangerous driving. That'll fuck her.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 03:48 PM   #27
Chris335dF31
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F31

Don’t hesitate in submitting that footage - if it was mine there would definitely be some swearing to edit out. I admire how cool you were.

Feel your pain and hope it gets sorted quickly.
335d F31 MSport 2017 - Sapphire Black
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 04:15 PM   #28
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Did you tell them you got it all on camera?

But let me get this straight, they are accusing you of being at fault (and you know and can prove you weren’t) and you are umming and ahhhing about submitting to plod? Fuck that arsehole, they deserve all they get.
Appreciate 2
nascot124.50
      12-07-2018, 04:48 PM   #29
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Did you tell them you got it all on camera?
One thing I found interesting in the video: it looked like the Give Way lines had been tarmaced over on both sides of the road. Is that an optical illusion? Is there a Give Way sign on the other road? If there is no sign and the local authority and/or their contractor covered up the lines, this could get REALLY interesting.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #30
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdok View Post
Good that you have video evidence, not bad reaction time on the horn just hope the repair will be acceptable, if it were me id fix n sell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evdok View Post
Doesn't matter who fixes it, it will never be as it was especially the colour match.
Great reaction time, might be repairable but BMW WILL be able to get the colour match fine if they have a good team. I've had personal experience of a BMW bodyshop matching San Marino Blue (probably trickier than black?) and it's indistinguishable.
      12-07-2018, 05:12 PM   #31
Crazy_1201
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Judging by the photo it might be a write off. Needs a new bumper, wing(s), bonnet, headlight(s)?
Then theres the damage to the undercarriage. Slam panel? Broken trims? etc
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #32
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-c View Post
Plod might do her for dangerous driving. That'll fuck her.
Careless I imagine as it could have been a momentary loss of concentration. I think the bar is set pretty high for Dangerous.

I would certainly submit the footage to the police. First, she is lying about the accident and deserves it, and second she needs to be forced to realise just how bad her driving was to stop it happening again. You might actually be doing her a favour by preventing a future accident.

Well done to the OP for having the footage. Even in a clear cut case like this, the instinct of the at fault party is to lie. I was stationary in a car park in September when an old chap reversed into me. He admitted fault and went to great lengths to say that he was a honourable man and would do the right thing. 30 minutes later the ‘honourable man’ told his insurance company that I was reversing as well! Fortunately I had recorded the admission on my phone. I now have a dash cam.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #33
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
It shouldn't matter about the faded give way lines. The other driver is coming out of a side road and crossing the main road. You are supposed to give way in this instance, so it is their fault.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #34
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
Great reaction time, might be repairable but BMW WILL be able to get the colour match fine if they have a good team. I've had personal experience of a BMW bodyshop matching San Marino Blue (probably trickier than black?) and it's indistinguishable.
Depends who's looking at it

Evdok

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 01:31 AM   #35
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
thanks all, feeling better. just soo lucky the little one was not in the car. I was a corner away away from pick up.

yes didn't slow down at all. unsure if they noticed road markings because no sign of slowing down or stopping.

need to go through this crap on Monday as they are saying I am at fault. if this continues I am tempted to just keep the merc for longer as its a few hundred plus a week. I don't really want to be that person who submits the dash footage for prosecution but I am getting pushed to do so.

If my daughter was in the car or this was someone else it could have been far worse. the neighbours came out asking for speed bumps but that's not going to help someone ignoring rules of the road and just burning across without stopping
Just be glad your fine and have a dash cam.

Same thing happend to me 18 months ago, also on my way to nursery. Spotted a Seat coming towards me from a sideroad going quickly, but by the time I had registered it might not stop he hit me by the rear wheel arch. Clearly the guy was traveling at some speed as the force of the impact was enough to destort his car, my car was sent spinning 180 and hit the kerb was enough force to snap 20inch alloys like they were plastic trim!!

The police attended, as did ambulance and firebrgade. 0% interest in any kind of charge for dangerous driving they all just wanted the road open .

The chap at the time admitted fault but just like you when the insurance company called he had claimed I was at fault, and deliberately crashed into him??!!

Untill that point I was not too bothered, yes both cars knackered, no one hurt, accidents happen, but to try and put the blame on me....WTP!!

Luckily I also had a dashcam, and took great pleasure in sending in the footage.....It still took 7 DAYS for the third party to finally admit guilt. Sadly these days no one wants to take responsibility for mistakes. Dash cams are 100% needed, as if I didn't have mine it would have ended up as 50:50.

Don't bother with the police they wouldn't care. But the dashcam will have saved you a load of headache. It might take time but itll get sorted .
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 04:12 AM   #36
Craig-SM
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport - F30

At least you're not injured over Christmas and the car can be fixed or replaced.

The other driver didn't even look in your direction, which maybe down to the lack of road markings may not have realised it was a junction.

Edit. Just watched the video again and I can't even see any road signs for the junction, just the remains of the road markings.

Last edited by Craig-SM; 12-08-2018 at 04:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 05:23 AM   #37
Witney
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model-Y LR

Quote:

need to go through this crap on Monday as they are saying I am at fault.
Clearly you were not! Sounds like fraudulent misrepresentation by the other driver to me.

I think you should really go for them on this, and they should suffer the consequences of their driving and the lie, because another person without a camera would not be able to prove the truth as easily as you.

EDIT - It is just to easy for dishonest people to muddy insurance claims by making up stuff and causing time and effort to others. I have every sympathy for accidents, unless there is recklessness involved, that's why we all have insurance, but I cannot stand people who do not fess up and take responsibility for their actions.

Last edited by Witney; 12-08-2018 at 05:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 05:54 AM   #38
Gaffer
Gas Man Extraordinaire
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive MSport+

Quote:

First of all, great to hear your little one wasn't on board and that you're OK

Secondly, she's saying you're at fault? Really? The audacity of some people .

Thirdly, definitely DO use your dashcam footage.....that's what you got it for, no?

Fourthly, I would also definitely (in a situation like this) make a copy and take it to the police. File a report and get an incident number. If the insurance company at her end kick up any fuss (which they won't after having reviewed the footage) tell them about the fact that you've reported her to the police and give them the incident number.
I'm sure things will get cleared up quickly after that.

Here's a little story that might cheer you up:

My bro's colleague (let's say A.M.) was driving across London Bridge when a white van sidled up along side. The driver peered in at him and then pulled back. A.M. thought nothing of it. A few seconds later the white van zoomed up the inside, swerved across in front of him (as if he were turning right across him from the left) and slammed his brakes on......resulting in A.M. hitting him (managed to start braking/swerving so only 1 body panel bent on van and bumper on A.M.s car).
As A.M. gets out, the white van driver gets out and starts rolling around on the floor clutching his neck and groaning.
By now, quite a few passers by have stopped and are gathering:
Passer by observing white van man rolling around "aren't you going to do anything?"
A.M. folding his arms, watching, "What?"
Passer by "aren't you going to do something, look at him, he might be hurt"
A.M. "I am doing something"
Passer by "no you're not"
A.M. "Yes I am. I'm waiting for the police who, when they come, can review my dashcam footage and arrest him for dangerous driving"
At which point, after hearing this the driver leaps to his feet, gets in his white van and zooms off.
Police arrived a short while later, took his microSD card and ended up prosecuting white van man as it was all on video, including the numbnutt's numberplate. A.M's insurance dealt with bumper and they must have got something from somewhere as his insurance premium wasn't affected.

So your dashcam footage is absolute gold in your case and invaluable....

Last edited by Gaffer; 12-08-2018 at 06:18 AM..
Appreciate 3
      12-08-2018, 06:13 AM   #39
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Christ I didn't realise that the world was so full of liars! I might get a dash cam at this rate.

I know the insurance companies say not to admit liability at the scene, but surely you have to describe what happened honestly and then that gives the facts and therefore the fault.

She went straight across a junction ignoring what was left of the give way markings, giving you no real chance.

I bet she is saying she looked nothing was there and then you hit her he must have been speeding etc.....
      12-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #40
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
No might about it, I’d take this advice
Definitely report this. Minor injury (whiplash) collisions must be reported to the Police, even if it's just for recording/stats purposes
      12-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #41
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Sorry to hear this, glad that no one was seriously injured at least.

It's amazing to think anyone could think they're not at fault for failing to stop at a junction.

As everyone is seeing, a dashcam is almost essential equipment these days.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 04:47 AM   #42
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Dashcam's are great. I have a front only but never have my audio on. However, if I was ever in an accident. I'd switch audio on (swipe my hand over the left side of Dashcam to turn on) roll down my window and invite the other person to the front of my car, maybe lean on the bonnet to write down the particulars and boom...let them incriminate themselves
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #43
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Well that's taking the piss trying to put the blame on you when they clearly went straight over a give way line. For that I would not feel guilty at all for submitting the dash footage for (hopefully) prosecution. If they had put their hands up and admitted their mistake and apologised straight away fair enough people make mistakes, but since they're taking the piss they deserve the worst.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 08:22 AM   #44
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Garage List
On a slightly different tact, would it not be better in this instance for the OP to make contact with the 3rd party and advise them that it's all on dash cam and that the OP will not take it to the Police if the 3rd party own up?
I say this as the primary goal for the OP should be to get the insurance sorted quickly and without any potential of being held accountable.

What happens to the footage after the 3rd party has admitted liability however, is entirely at the OPs discretion.