F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Car Accident =(
Studio RSR

12-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #45
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by willjames View Post
Dashcam's are great. I have a front only but never have my audio on. However, if I was ever in an accident. I'd switch audio on (swipe my hand over the left side of Dashcam to turn on) roll down my window and invite the other person to the front of my car, maybe lean on the bonnet to write down the particulars and boom...let them incriminate themselves
A recorded admission at the scene is very helpful, but doesn't guarantee it will go your way. In my recent accident, I had no dashcam at the time, but I used the Voice Recorder on my iPhone to record a very clear full and frank admission of fault from the old duffer who reversed into me while stationary.

30 minutes later, when he phoned his insurer, his story had changed, and I was now partly at fault. I assumed that sending my recording to my insurer, Aviva, would settle the matter, but they were pretty hopeless. Initially they wouldn't listen to the conversation and told me (wrongly) that this sort of admission could not be used as evidence as it might have been obtained under duress.

If they had taken the time to listen to the conversation, they would have heard that it was a perfectly civil and relaxed conversation lasting about 3 minutes. Since Aviva were being unhelpful, I decided to send it to the third party insurer and they listened to it straight away and accepted liability without prejudice. It took them a further 3 months to fully accept liability and pay, but I have no doubt that without the recording, I would have been shafted with a 50/50 settlement.

Now I have a dashcam, but will back this up with a recording of any admission. There are lots of lying bastards out there, so you need all of the evidence you can get.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #46
Stoo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

The audacity of some people is beyond belief.

How the driver can claim anything other than fault in this incident is outrageous.

The ‘it was my fault but I’ll claim it wasn’t my fault anyway’ brigade need a damn good slap.

I rolled into the back of someone at the lights recently. No damage whatsoever to either car. Literally came to rest on their rear bumper.

Driver didn’t even realise until I (being an honest citizen) gestured and told him so. He got out and had a look, saw there was no damage and said ‘built like tanks these things aren’t they, no damage. No harm done so no worries mate.’

Exchanged details anyway at my request just in case.

Wanker went back to his office (company car, care home ferrying patients around) and mentioned it to his boss.

Two
Weeks later I get a claim for driver and three passengers claiming personal injuries!!!!

Despite the fact there was nobody else in the car!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #47
Witney
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model-Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post

Two
Weeks later I get a claim for driver and three passengers claiming personal injuries!!!!

Despite the fact there was nobody else in the car!!!!
Then they should be going to jail..... There are just too many examples of people making fraudulent claims. The penalties or enforcement of penalties is obviously not adequate at the moment to stop people from lying!

I also hate the "do not accept liability" line from insurers. If I am at fault I will hold my hands up and admit liability. That is precisely why I pay a fortune to my insurers - to recompense third parties if I make an error. (I am not going to accept liability where there is some doubt, contributory factors...)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #48
Stoo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

I am fighting it.
I took photos and theres not a mark on my car.

It’s fraud.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #49
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

Just wondering if the other party is liable for insurance fraud for placing blame on the other person. Clearly there must be a case to be made where they are clearly lying and you have proof
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #50
meatballs
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witney View Post
Then they should be going to jail..... There are just too many examples of people making fraudulent claims. The penalties or enforcement of penalties is obviously not adequate at the moment to stop people from lying!

I also hate the "do not accept liability" line from insurers. If I am at fault I will hold my hands up and admit liability. That is precisely why I pay a fortune to my insurers - to recompense third parties if I make an error. (I am not going to accept liability where there is some doubt, contributory factors...)
There's a good reason why they say not to accept liability, because in a serious collision you will have adrenaline pumping and human recollection is rubbish. Also you are probably not concentrating at the time so remembering the events leading up to the accident probably wont be clear.

I think people genuinely second guess themselves after the incident too.

Thats why for the price of <100 squid you can have a fair amount of peace of mind with a dashcam. And review your own cockups too
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 04:56 PM   #51
A13x
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

well the repairs are so high to my vehicle insurance company are sending someone to check it out. sigh
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #52
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by A13x View Post
well the repairs are so high to my vehicle insurance company are sending someone to check it out. sigh
Fingers crossed they repair, have the other party admitted liability yet!?

All the best
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #53
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Even in my recent case of a dented bumper, the other side’s insurance company sent out an engineer to inspect, so it may not mean a write-off.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 03:32 AM   #54
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport Auto LCI

There's clearly a profitable industry of garages writing off cars then turning them around fully repaired and on sale. I was in my bro-in-law's car when it was hit from behind in an impact no more than 10mph. Badly damaged rear bumper and some rear wing distortion. Garage reported to the insurance company that floor-pan was distorted and beyond economic repair so insurance wrote it off and settled. 6 months later I'm on the road and there is his car looking really quite good and doing 70 on the motorway. Checked the reg on VehicleSmart app and it's MOT'd and fully insured. Many years ago my own car was written off and later I got a call from the new owner who suspected a problem. He was shocked when I told him the story. If the law stated a written-off vehicle had to be crushed there would be a marked reluctance of insurance to write-off. Saving owners lots of cash in buying a new vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 06:59 AM   #55
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Three months on...........

...........AND.........

Pray tell....what was the result?????
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #56
ViRUS_RiP
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Victor1 View Post
Three months on...........

...........AND.........

Pray tell....what was the result?????
Only happened a week ago mate. Think you are confusing the day and months from looking at the date as it's displayed US format.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 04:42 PM   #57
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Quite surprised that the other driver didn't see the Give Way markings, especially as he/she also had the fog lights on (by the looks of it).
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 07:58 AM   #58
A13x
Private First Class
Rep

Well they got the ok to fix my car and upon taking it to bits they have found out there are another 3k of repair costs so now the vehicle is classed as a write off.

So depressed its unreal so now i need to hunt for another 330D Touring...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 08:10 AM   #59
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XD

Quote:
Well they got the ok to fix my car and upon taking it to bits they have found out there are another 3k of repair costs so now the vehicle is classed as a write off.

So depressed its unreal so now i need to hunt for another 330D Touring...
Uh that does suck, I trust liability has been resolved.

I hope they sort your value out sensibly and you find what your looking for, its a buyers market at the moment so best of luck.

Regards
      12-20-2018, 09:36 AM   #60
A13x
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
Uh that does suck, I trust liability has been resolved.

I hope they sort your value out sensibly and you find what your looking for, its a buyers market at the moment so best of luck.

Regards
still waiting for them to admit liability, the insurance company give them two to three weeks.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #61
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Quote:
still waiting for them to admit liability, the insurance company give them two to three weeks.
That seems crazy given the video evidence against them.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:46 AM   #62
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They have quite a good incentive to accept liability rather than delay if you're running round in a decent hire car at their expense. The dashcam footage leaves them no wriggle room in my view. Hope it is sorted out soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #63
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

What a fooking thunder cunt.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #64
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 320i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian332isport View Post
That seems crazy given the video evidence against them.
Did OP send the video to their insurance?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #65
A13x
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrklaw View Post
Did OP send the video to their insurance?
yeah. what happened to my car is equivalent of being bitch slapped across the face. with repairs higher than 15k and instantly a write off.

nothing out there atm making it hard to look.

I have so many accessories for the car I want the same one. x3 is out of question because road tax and mpg.

could forget t about the 330d and go for fully loaded x1 but drop a second in speed
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:37 PM   #66
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

I wouldn't even sweat about liability, clearly there fault. Regardless of the dash cam footage, they would have a difficult time defending that one, with the dashcam footage it's a slam dunk.

RE replacement car, your going to have to suck up the new tax bracket regardless. I'd rather have the car written off than have that kind of damage repaired tbh. move on and get car shopping, you'll find something you'll love!

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0