F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Lower Auxiliary Radiator failure from rock chips
ARMA SPEED

09-26-2022, 02:27 AM   #1
SupremeF34
I make videos for all things F34 !
Rep
Drives: ’18 F34 340i GT

Exclamation Lower Auxiliary Radiator failure from rock chips

Hey guys, I recently had to replace my lower auxiliary radiator (part # 17117628057) in my F34 340i GT due to it failing from stone chips, and I wanted to share my experience and encourage anyone else to chime in especially if you've had the same issue.

I was driving on the highway one weekend at normal highway speeds, reached my destination and parked my car. By the time I came back out to the parking lot, I had lost the majority of my coolant from the main expansion tank. I know this, because leaving the parking lot, the car put itself in limp mode immediately, as I noticed that I had no boost at all. By the time I pull over, I had gotten an "engine compartment hot" error, so I pulled over and began to see a small stream of coolant streaming out of my passenger side fog light surround trim. Looking through the open part on the trim, I could clearly see the little radiator squirting coolant. So I ended up getting some distilled water from a nearby station to fill up the tank in order to get me back home (i only use genuine BMW coolant). After adding the distilled water, the car started up fine and was no longer in limp mode; I was able to drive home just fine.

After getting home, I began to google and search on the forums for this issue, which is how I learned of an even more common failure on the main radiator (part # 17118741830) on our cars from rocks flying through the openings on our front grilles. This happens on vehicles with production dates prior to December 2017, since, from that month on, the original main radiator part number was discontinued and replaced with a new one for the new main radiators which were now equipped with a rock guard. Then, I had spoken with a BMW tech who confirmed that there is a "bulletin" on this issue, which gets fixed for free by BMW, even for out-of warranty cars. Considering this, I had hoped that the dealership would take care of the replacement of my little aux radiator on a good will since it was affected from the same issue, but instead, they wanted to charge me $875 for the job.

Jumping back on the internet, I found Kies' video (thanks Bryan) on how to replace the aux radiator on his 335i and also how to bleed the coolant system after you top off, which is all the same process on the 40i cars. Then I found the genuine BMW part (again, part # 17117628057), on various websites for around $200. I chose to speak with my service advisor again to see if they could reconsider, being that the job literally consists of a few very simple steps: removing wheel, removing front fender/wheel liner, unclipping radiator and clip new one in. Then top off/bleed coolant system. The answer I got was something along the lines of "according to our calculations, that's how much it costs."

This is when I chose to DIY. After paying $155 to BMW for a diagnostic fee (to diagnose an issue that we were already aware of), I collected my keys from the service clerk, popped my hood, filled up with distilled again and drove her home. I chose to order the replacement part from FCP Euro for $250 because they have a lifetime warranty on everything. The job was so easy.

A few days later, I realized that my passenger side fog light trim surround is partially open, and the driver's side trim is closed by an additional trim piece (part # 51118057199). I can confirm this is how my car came from factory. Then I found out that BMW actually makes the trim piece for the other side (part # 51118057200). My OCD wouldn't let me resist, so I ordered one of those and installed it to make my fog trims match.

Note that this issue of the lower radiator failure due to rock chips can affect all F-chassis 1-4 series, particularly with the M sport package/front bumper. I noticed on realoem that the similar part on the 440i with base bumper (part # 51117432618) comes with a warning: Do not use with remote engine oil
cooler. Caution: Danger of overheating ! I can understand this open-grid design on the side of the car with the little aux radiator but I didn't think that closing that up with a plastic trim piece would really make a difference, and it hasn't for me. My temperatures are very consistent and I haven't seen anything different since I installed the trim piece.

Again, I had really hoped that BMW would be able to offer something better than a $875 authorization request, being that this issue affecting our lower auxiliary radiators are failing over time by one too many rock chips, just like the bulletin the have posted for the same issue with the original main front mount radiator design. It sucks that they didn't offer anything better, and sucks that I still had to pay a $155 diag fee, but still, in the end, I saved more than half of the $875 I would've paid the dealer with a simple DIY.

Hopefully, this will encourage you all to save a little ca$h money by a simple DIY repair with basic hand tools and maybe save a bit of dignity before you go visit the dealer for the same issue if your car is out of warranty.

And then hopefully BMW will be encouraged to post a bulletin for our lower auxiliary radiators...AND maybe make a new one with a rock guard...And fix it for free! I mean, at the absolute least, they could lessen the out-of-pocket cost for customers for literally, such a simple and inexpensive repair.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 02:29 AM   #2
SupremeF34
Rep

If you don't like long reads, all good - I also documented this repair and entire process on video on youtube for my Bimmer-driving audio/visual learners

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 04:46 AM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeF34 View Post
Hey guys, I recently had to replace my lower auxiliary radiator (part # 17117628057) in my F34 340i GT due to it failing from stone chips, and I wanted to share my experience and encourage anyone else to chime in especially if you've had the same issue.

I was driving on the highway one weekend at normal highway speeds, reached my destination and parked my car. By the time I came back out to the parking lot, I had lost the majority of my coolant from the main expansion tank. I know this, because leaving the parking lot, the car put itself in limp mode immediately, as I noticed that I had no boost at all. By the time I pull over, I had gotten an "engine compartment hot" error, so I pulled over and began to see a small stream of coolant streaming out of my passenger side fog light surround trim. Looking through the open part on the trim, I could clearly see the little radiator squirting coolant. So I ended up getting some distilled water from a nearby station to fill up the tank in order to get me back home (i only use genuine BMW coolant). After adding the distilled water, the car started up fine and was no longer in limp mode; I was able to drive home just fine.

After getting home, I began to google and search on the forums for this issue, which is how I learned of an even more common failure on the main radiator (part # 17118741830) on our cars from rocks flying through the openings on our front grilles. This happens on vehicles with production dates prior to December 2017, since, from that month on, the original main radiator part number was discontinued and replaced with a new one for the new main radiators which were now equipped with a rock guard. Then, I had spoken with a BMW tech who confirmed that there is a "bulletin" on this issue, which gets fixed for free by BMW, even for out-of warranty cars. Considering this, I had hoped that the dealership would take care of the replacement of my little aux radiator on a good will since it was affected from the same issue, but instead, they wanted to charge me $875 for the job.

Jumping back on the internet, I found Kies' video (thanks Bryan) on how to replace the aux radiator on his 335i and also how to bleed the coolant system after you top off, which is all the same process on the 40i cars. Then I found the genuine BMW part (again, part # 17117628057), on various websites for around $200. I chose to speak with my service advisor again to see if they could reconsider, being that the job literally consists of a few very simple steps: removing wheel, removing front fender/wheel liner, unclipping radiator and clip new one in. Then top off/bleed coolant system. The answer I got was something along the lines of "according to our calculations, that's how much it costs."

This is when I chose to DIY. After paying $155 to BMW for a diagnostic fee (to diagnose an issue that we were already aware of), I collected my keys from the service clerk, popped my hood, filled up with distilled again and drove her home. I chose to order the replacement part from FCP Euro for $250 because they have a lifetime warranty on everything. The job was so easy.

A few days later, I realized that my passenger side fog light trim surround is partially open, and the driver's side trim is closed by an additional trim piece (part # 51118057199). I can confirm this is how my car came from factory. Then I found out that BMW actually makes the trim piece for the other side (part # 51118057200). My OCD wouldn't let me resist, so I ordered one of those and installed it to make my fog trims match.

Note that this issue of the lower radiator failure due to rock chips can affect all F-chassis 1-4 series, particularly with the M sport package/front bumper. I noticed on realoem that the similar part on the 440i with base bumper (part # 51117432618) comes with a warning: Do not use with remote engine oil
cooler. Caution: Danger of overheating ! I can understand this open-grid design on the side of the car with the little aux radiator but I didn't think that closing that up with a plastic trim piece would really make a difference, and it hasn't for me. My temperatures are very consistent and I haven't seen anything different since I installed the trim piece.

Again, I had really hoped that BMW would be able to offer something better than a $875 authorization request, being that this issue affecting our lower auxiliary radiators are failing over time by one too many rock chips, just like the bulletin the have posted for the same issue with the original main front mount radiator design. It sucks that they didn't offer anything better, and sucks that I still had to pay a $155 diag fee, but still, in the end, I saved more than half of the $875 I would've paid the dealer with a simple DIY.

Hopefully, this will encourage you all to save a little ca$h money by a simple DIY repair with basic hand tools and maybe save a bit of dignity before you go visit the dealer for the same issue if your car is out of warranty.

And then hopefully BMW will be encouraged to post a bulletin for our lower auxiliary radiators...AND maybe make a new one with a rock guard...And fix it for free! I mean, at the absolute least, they could lessen the out-of-pocket cost for customers for literally, such a simple and inexpensive repair.
Thanks for the informative post. I haven't taken a close look at that area yet. I wonder if installing a protective mesh might be possible, similar to what FaRKle! did in his video below...

Appreciate 1
      09-26-2022, 06:58 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Anticipation of rock damage due to the grilles being hardly there is why I did this early on:

Appreciate 2
johnung4510.50
      09-26-2022, 07:35 AM   #5
SupremeF34
Rep

I meant to mention that! I've seen the DIY rock guards before. That is definitely a solution as well. Just wanted to also show one that was more so OEM with a factory look
Appreciate 0