F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ***DIY: bootmod3 OBD Agent build with RPi 3 B
ARMA SPEED

11-29-2018, 07:56 AM   #265
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

NICE!! Thanks for adding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcshoes23 View Post
Thanks OP for this guide. I have created a Raspberry pi 3b+ image which has been working well for me. I haven't tried if the agent update works or not.

Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yaldwd9jsc...us.img.gz?dl=0

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 09:55 AM   #266
meltbox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi GT (F34/N20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcshoes23 View Post
Thanks OP for this guide. I have created a Raspberry pi 3b+ image which has been working well for me. I haven't tried if the agent update works or not.

Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yaldwd9jsc...us.img.gz?dl=0
Hooray! Thanks I was going to try to do this just to rule out that my pi3 isn't defective. Get some strange behaviour on it at times.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #267
meltbox
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
This is really cool!!
Also confirmed it will still pair with the car and will stream music while displaying data from the car so you don't lose anything. I ran into a snag driving into work though. It was like the agent crashed and didn't want to reconnect on either wifi or bouetooth for a while. When it did it started wildly displaying engine temps for example fluctuating between 80-100c. It's like it broke and got confused.

Really I'm thinking my pi is just broken but either way I'll try to get instructions for BT up today. More people testing will help us answer that.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #268
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltbox View Post
Also confirmed it will still pair with the car and will stream music while displaying data from the car so you don't lose anything. I ran into a snag driving into work though. It was like the agent crashed and didn't want to reconnect on either wifi or bouetooth for a while. When it did it started wildly displaying engine temps for example fluctuating between 80-100c. It's like it broke and got confused.

Really I'm thinking my pi is just broken but either way I'll try to get instructions for BT up today. More people testing will help us answer that.
Which phone OS are you using, iOS or Android?

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 08:11 PM   #269
meltbox
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Which phone OS are you using, iOS or Android?
Android. I have noticed for some reason while bluetooth tethering I also cause the agent software to crash and then fail to ever start again on the pi. I'm not sure if this is exclusive to me. Apologies for not posting up the guide. Been sick and busy. Will work on it today.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 07:55 AM   #270
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Ok, I am looking forward to see what you did. I did a very quick search on using BT with a headless Pi system like the OBD Agent and it initially looked more "involved" than tweaking with the WiFi settings as described earlier in this thread. I am surprised you are having trouble with Android and BT though. Usually Android is pretty good with stuff like that, and much better than iOS.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 08:23 PM   #271
meltbox
Private First Class
Rep

Okay here it is. Sorry it took so long but I decided to just make a new image and make you guys do as few steps as possible. I also spent some time troubleshooting and I am pretty sure my pi 3b is defective. Will be messing with it a little more just to make sure its not some detail I am missing but this worked perfectly today on my 3b+. I also found the app way more responsive with my 3b+ in the car and update rates seemed much quicker.

First off what you will need.

My image (should work on pi 3b and 3b+) -UPDATED 4/18/2019-:
https://mega.nz/#!W5YSiYSK!_fJ50g2CC...uRcp8HJyzOCjWU

balenaEtcher to flash the zip:
https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Putty to setup the BT pairing:
https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~...ty/latest.html

Now for the steps.
1. Download and install balena etcher and use it to flash the image to the sd card. For those of you interested it is raspbian stretch lite. I left the standard pi user on there with password raspbian and created a bm3 user with password bootmod3.

2. Insert your SD card into the raspberry pi and power it up. Plug it into your computer's ethernet port where you would normally plug in your internet cable.

3. Open putty and connect to 169.254.0.2

When prompted enter 'bm3' for the username and 'bootmod3' for the password.

4. Find your android device's bluetooth address. This would be on your phone in setting somewhere. For me it was under settings->About phone->Status->Bluetooth Address

It should be of the format
Code:
AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF
but with numbers and letters in place of the letters I used. You may have to turn on Bluetooth for it to show up.

5. Go back to your putty window and type

Code:
nano /home/BTether/can.sh
A text editor will open up and you will see one line says

Code:
BT_MAC_ADDR=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF
Replace the
Code:
AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF
with the address you found from your phone.

6. Press 'ctrl + o' to save and hit enter when prompted for a filename. Then hit 'ctrl + x' to exit the text editor.

7. Now type:

Code:
sudo bluetoothctl
You will get something like

Code:
[NEW] Controller 11:AA:22:BB:33:CC bootmod3 [default]
[bluetooth]#
now type the next three lines hitting enter after each one

Code:
power on
agent on
discoverable on
8. Now open your phone's bluetooth and search for discoverable devices (just search for available devices). After a while you will see one show up as bootmod3. Connect to it. You will see a new line show up in putty:

Code:
[NEW] Device AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF DEVICENAME
now type the following two lines hitting enter after each one

Code:
trust AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF
exit
9. Make sure bluetooth tethering is turned on on your phone. You should be back at the terminal and have exited from bluetoothctl now. Type the following:

Code:
sudo reboot
Putty will lose connection now and the pi will reboot. If you have done everything correctly then the pi will tether to your phone on startup. If it does not we can troubleshoot. I will add a troubleshooting guide in the next post. I also have pictures but I need to edit them so I may post them in the future when I get around to it.

GUIDE FOR EXISTING INSTALLATION

Okay here we go

Just like above you will need putty.

1. Connect to 169.254.0.2 and when prompted enter bm3 for the username and bootmod3 for the password. It should log in. If it does not you will need to use whatever user is set up on your device and the associated password. This is the default so I assume it will be the same for you. Note that the agent will have to be connected to a hotspot or router with internet connectivity for this guide to work.

2. You will want to type

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-dbus
Say yes you would like to install and wait for it to finish.

3. Now type

Code:
cd /home
sudo mkdir BTether
sudo chown bm3 BTether
cd BTether
and now the fun part

Code:
curl -s -H "Accept:application/vnd.github.v3.raw" https://api.github.com/repos/WayneKeenan/RaspberryPi_BTPAN_AutoConnect/contents/bt-pan >> bt-pan

curl -s -H "Accept:application/vnd.github.v3.raw" https://api.github.com/repos/WayneKeenan/RaspberryPi_BTPAN_AutoConnect/contents/check-and-connect-bt-pan.sh >> can.sh
and more

Code:
sudo chmod +x can.sh bt-pan
4. Now we add two tasks to crontab to connect bt.

Code:
sudo crontab -e
you will get one of two things. Either the nano text editor will show up or it will prompt you to pick a text editor. Pick nano unless you know what you are doing. Add these two line to the end of the file.

Code:
@reboot /home/BTether/can.sh
* * * * * /home/BTether/can.sh
Hit ctrl+O then enter and then ctrl+x

5. You will now need to set up bnep0 (the bluetooth interface) to take an ip address from your phone via dhcp.

Type
Code:
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
You will need to add a line somewhere

Code:
allow-hotplug bnep0
iface bnep0 inet dhcp
6. Now follow the guide as if you had my image installed from above. Start at step 4.

Please post if you have any problems as I didn't really test this bottom guide. Thanks!

Last edited by meltbox; 04-18-2019 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 2
ronanz1819.50
Noelified228.00
      12-02-2018, 08:24 PM   #272
meltbox
Private First Class
Rep

Reserved for troubleshooting guide for BT.

Things to try if you have BT drops (try one at at time and then combinations):
1. Turn on BLE
Code:
sudo hciconfig hci0 leadv 0
2. Change link policy

BUT FIRST CHECK ORIGINAL POLICY AND NOTE DOWN THE OUTPUT OF THIS COMMAND
Code:
sudo hciconfig hci0 lp
Now change link policy
Code:
sudo hciconfig hci0 lp HOLD,SNIFF
To revert link policy (this was my original) replace RSWITCH and SNIFF with your own original policies
Code:
sudo hciconfig hci0 lp RSWITCH,SNIFF

Note all these reset on reboot. I'm still working on that...
More to come...

Last edited by meltbox; 12-06-2018 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 10:11 PM   #273
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
EDIT: May also add a guide on how to set it up for people who don't want to flash my image. It takes a couple more steps though.
Great work! I would be interested in this as I would rather update my existing image than start with a new one, at least for my first try at this.... Any reason why the same process would not work with iOS? I know trying to get BT to work with iOS can be "challenging" at times when compared to Android.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 10:16 PM   #274
meltbox
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Great work! I would be interested in this as I would rather update my existing image than start with a new one, at least for my first try at this.... Any reason why the same process would not work with iOS? I know trying to get BT to work with iOS can be "challenging" at times when compared to Android.
It probably would. I just don't have a device to try it on right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 06:13 AM   #275
BettyFkinCrocker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i RWD

Lots of awesome info here. Great work on the bluetooth, may try that out soon. I just put together mine last night and flashed. Everything went smoothly and stg1 is an impressive bump for no mods.

With that being said, I seem to be having connection timeout of some sort. I had my dashboard up and was monitoring things on my first drive, when I noticed all parameters were frozen. The device was no longer connected to my hotspot. After checking/trying a few things, it was only resolved by unplugging the power to the rp and plugging back in. This continues about 3 more times in an hour. Then, I start receiving a message that OBD Detected - VIN unavailable. After looking into that, I followed PTF's instruction to disconnect the battery for 3 min and try again. This did indeed fix "VIN unavailable" but the connectivity timeout has continued. I've read through all 13 pages here, and can't seem to recall anything similar. This is on Android. (I may also just be an absolute dunce and if so, just point me in the right direction for the relevant info, lol)

Last edited by BettyFkinCrocker; 12-04-2018 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 07:58 AM   #276
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

What's the benefit of BT tethering?

On a side note, I recently rebuilt my agent using the .41 ISO because I was getting an error with in app updating. When attempting an in app update I get prompted that my current version doesn't support it. Anyone else run into this? It's happening again with version .41.
      12-04-2018, 09:58 AM   #277
meltbox
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyFkinCrocker View Post
Lots of awesome info here. Great work on the bluetooth, may try that out soon. I just put together mine last night and flashed. Everything went smoothly and stg1 is an impressive bump for no mods.

With that being said, I seem to be having connection timeout of some sort. I had my dashboard up and was monitoring things on my first drive, when I noticed all parameters were frozen. The device was no longer connected to my hotspot. After checking/trying a few things, it was only resolved by unplugging the power to the rp and plugging back in. This continues about 3 more times in an hour. Then, I start receiving a message that OBD Detected - VIN unavailable. After looking into that, I followed PTF's instruction to disconnect the battery for 3 min and try again. This did indeed fix "VIN unavailable" but the connectivity timeout has continued. I've read through all 13 pages here, and can't seem to recall anything similar. This is on Android. (I may also just be an absolute dunce and if so, just point me in the right direction for the relevant info, lol)
To be honest I've had the same thing but it went away when I started using my raspberry pi 3b+ with the image I posted above for my guide. I still get drops on BT for some reason which I'm trying to diagnose but on hotspot it's flawless now. For some reason my other pi will randomly cause the car to go into some weird mode where it refuse to communicate unless I leave it alone for long enough and all the computers go to sleep. Usually takes 6 hours or so before it starts broadcasting Vin again.

It may be a defective pi or something about the 3b. Not sure yet but I'm planning on trying to diagnose that too if I can.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #278
meltbox
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post

On a side note, I recently rebuilt my agent using the .41 ISO because I was getting an error with in app updating. When attempting an in app update I get prompted that my current version doesn't support it. Anyone else run into this? It's happening again with version .41.
Lower power. Might not melt your phone if your using maps and streaming music and running the BM3 app. Probably will still melt your phone. Also lets you do things like connect your phone to WiFi and share it to your agent via BT without reprogramming the agent to connect to the WiFi network.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #279
BettyFkinCrocker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
To be honest I've had the same thing but it went away when I started using my raspberry pi 3b+ with the image I posted above for my guide. I still get drops on BT for some reason which I'm trying to diagnose but on hotspot it's flawless now. For some reason my other pi will randomly cause the car to go into some weird mode where it refuse to communicate unless I leave it alone for long enough and all the computers go to sleep. Usually takes 6 hours or so before it starts broadcasting Vin again.

It may be a defective pi or something about the 3b. Not sure yet but I'm planning on trying to diagnose that too if I can.
That would be disappointing if the only solution is 3b+.. I literally just got mine
1/4: 10.90@128
60-130: 7.43
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #280
meltbox
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyFkinCrocker View Post
That would be disappointing if the only solution is 3b+.. I literally just got mine
I'm going to flash my image to my 3b and I will let you know if that fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #281
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:

For iOS users, another benefit would be if you want to use CarPlay at the same time since iOS can only handle one wifi connection at a time and CarPlay uses wifi. This was why I use the USB cable with my agent. But I like the BT option and will give it a shot. Hopefully iOS will work with BT and the agent but Apple rules for using BT devices can be "squirely" at times.

Regarding the update error you mentioned, I recently got it when trying to update my agent to ver 41. However, I figured it was due to low signal strength on my phone (only 1 bar at the time). I tried again (with better signal strength) and my agent updated remotely without issue.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 05:48 AM   #282
BettyFkinCrocker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to flash my image to my 3b and I will let you know if that fixes it.
Well, looks like the problem resolved itself. I've since had my dashboard up for two hour long drives with no interruptions at all. Must have just been a fluke. All is working great.
1/4: 10.90@128
60-130: 7.43
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 01:17 PM   #283
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Stupid question... Is there a way to tether the agent to the iPhone by JUST using USB? Right now when I turn on personal hotspot, the agent automatically connects to SSID "bootmod3" via WiFi.
      12-05-2018, 01:26 PM   #284
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
So I tried the BT procedure above using my existing image vice burning a new one... Good news is that it appears to have worked. I was able to update my Pi and turn on BT. Bad news is that my iPhone did not detect the Pi. To ensure the Pi was working properly, I used an old Android phone I had lying around and that phone was able to see the Pi and connect to it via BT. Unfortunately, I am not surprised that the iPhone did not see the Pi as Apple is very strict about which types of devices can connect via BT. The only way my iPhone will be able to detect/connect the Pi via BT is if I jailbreak it, which I don't feel like doing right now...

What is worse is that I can't even use my old Android phone if I wanted to since the BM3 app requires Android 4.4, but my old phone can only go as high as 4.1 . Oh well, at least my Pi is now configured to use BT...

Appreciate 1
meltbox43.00
      12-05-2018, 01:57 PM   #285
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So I tried the BT procedure above using my existing image vice burning a new one... Good news is that it appears to have worked. I was able to update my Pi and turn on BT. Bad news is that my iPhone did not detect the Pi. To ensure the Pi was working properly, I used an old Android phone I had lying around and that phone was able to see the Pi and connect to it via BT. Unfortunately, I am not surprised that the iPhone did not see the Pi as Apple is very strict about which types of devices can connect via BT. The only way my iPhone will be able to detect/connect the Pi via BT is if I jailbreak it, which I don't feel like doing right now...

What is worse is that I can't even use my old Android phone if I wanted to since the BM3 app requires Android 4.4, but my old phone can only go as high as 4.1 . Oh well, at least my Pi is now configured to use BT...
LITERALLY just finished building mine as well and same deal with iPhone. I verified with an S9 to make sure the device was broadcasting and available and it is. Stupid Apple!!!
      12-05-2018, 04:23 PM   #286
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Stupid question... Is there a way to tether the agent to the iPhone by JUST using USB? Right now when I turn on personal hotspot, the agent automatically connects to SSID "bootmod3" via WiFi.
Yes, there is. See my post earlier in this thread where I disabled WiFi on my agent for that very reason. That way when you turn on your hotspot, it will only accept the USB cable. Or you could just change the wifi hotspot name on your phone which in theory should work too since the agent won't be able to connect to your iPhone without the correct SSID and password.

Appreciate 0