F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Pros and Cons of Spring Upgrades
proTUNING Freaks

04-25-2021, 01:30 PM   #1
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

Pros and Cons of Spring Upgrades

Hi all, I am totally clueluess when it comes to suspension upgrades. I found a set of HR sport springs for 140 bucks lightly used and was thinking about pulling the trigger to put them on my Msport 440i GC. I have read that the car is not lowered too much with them and to go with super sport springs.

However, I am not too well versed in what changing the springs would cause, and like with all things automotive, as you change one aspect another aspect changes. I am not too concerned with a harsh ride quality, but could someone explain pros and cons of changing out the OEM springs? I read somewhere that the OEM shocks get damaged long term. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

This is a very popular question, with many threads discussing pros and cons. It will be nearly impossible to answer this question in a comprehensive manner without referring to these threads.

If you like how the suspension behaves at the moment, "do nothing" remains the best and most cost effective option.

Does your car have M Adaptive suspension? Is it xDrive or RWD?

If you want to improve the suspension behavior - compression, rebound, cornering, understeer to neutral (common goals) - then my suggestion would be to determine what your needs are and then search for the optimum solution.

Solution options - very broadly stated:

- Lowering springs with stock shocks; not recommended
- Lowering springs with aftermarket shocks; several combinations proved to be very effective. Suggest to read johnung threads such as

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675667

Eibach springs and Koni Special shocks is perhaps one of the better combinations.

- Coilovers

All of the above may require four wheel alignment if the suspension geometry changes warrant it. Experienced shop should be able to give you a qualified advice.

PS. I personally do not recommend HR sport springs with stock shocks. The stock shocks are not designed to handle stiffer springs, resulting in extended spring oscillation cycle and a bouncy ride. $140 plus installation plus wheel alignment = not a good investment.
Appreciate 1
johnung4525.00
      04-25-2021, 06:10 PM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG KLR View Post
Hi all, I am totally clueluess when it comes to suspension upgrades. I found a set of HR sport springs for 140 bucks lightly used and was thinking about pulling the trigger to put them on my Msport 440i GC. I have read that the car is not lowered too much with them and to go with super sport springs.

However, I am not too well versed in what changing the springs would cause, and like with all things automotive, as you change one aspect another aspect changes. I am not too concerned with a harsh ride quality, but could someone explain pros and cons of changing out the OEM springs? I read somewhere that the OEM shocks get damaged long term. Thanks
IMO avoid those used springs. The suspension is the most complex system on the car with the most components. It's easy to swap in a component that doesn't go well with the others and end up with a poor result.

Always start by understanding what came with your car. Year, model, RWD or XDrive, Adaptive (electronic) shocks or standard shocks, runflat or goflat tires, tire model and size(s), square or staggered tire setup.

All of those play a role in the way your suspension performs now, and they may expand or limit the suspension upgrade options that you have.

Second, evaluate why you may want to upgrade your suspension. There are a variety of reasons. Some have a long commute and find the stock suspension too jarring. Some want to track and want a stiffer race style suspension. Some want to lower the car for looks. Some don't like the F-series vague steering and want to make suspension changes to improve steering response. Some don't like the chassis body roll and want to make improvements there. I'm sure that there are many more.

Often if the engine is tuned for more power, it exposes some weak areas in the suspension and brakes. So some upgrades are needed to get the car back to a more balanced state.

Basically, if you can narrow down what your car has now and what things about the suspension you make want to improve, then you can develop a list of potential upgrades and their cost. Then it always comes down to what fits your budget.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 07:06 PM   #4
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

It's better to do quality coilovers so u have properly matched springs and shocks.
Recommended:
XDrive, non adaptive : b16 or b14
XDrive adaptive: b16 damptronics
Rwd non adaptive ohlins r&t

But it sounds like you're aiming for a lowered look and dynamics isn't a concern so a set of kw sport or super sport will be a cheap way to get the look you're going for. the less discerning members think it rides fine. For ppl saying it'll wear out your shocks faster, I haven't heard first hand it happening to anyone here. Sure the ride may be bouncy and sometimes bottom out killing ur bump stops *shrugs*

Last edited by anotheran; 04-25-2021 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0