F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > The end of Boris?
GetBMWParts

09-24-2019, 08:53 AM   #133
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofinger View Post
Are we closer to the Government calling a vote of no confidence in itself/resigning? If they can't govern the business in the HOC nor trigger a GE, what else can they do.
They can step aside and let an interim government of national unity take over. Even if they don't step aside, the other parties now hold the balance of power, so could force Boris out without a GE, assuming (and it will be tough) that they can form some kind of coalition.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #134
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
The public aren't stupid.
I agree with this.

Quote:
They realise that BJ was trying to break the deadlock...
Say what?
      09-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #135
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
They can step aside and let an interim government of national unity take over. Even if they don't step aside, the other parties now hold the balance of power, so could force Boris out without a GE, assuming (and it will be tough) that they can form some kind of coalition.
"Forcing Boris out"...is that a vote of no confidence in the government or something else?

Either way, it will be tough - can't imagine enough MPs will coalesce around JC and can't imagine JC will coalesce around anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #136
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
"Forcing Boris out"...is that a vote of no confidence in the government or something else?

Either way, it will be tough - can't imagine enough MPs will coalesce around JC and can't imagine JC will coalesce around anyone else.
Yes I believe that after a vote of no confidence in the Government, a new government can be formed within 14 days and seek approval from the Queen. Failing that it goes to a GE, so they would only call for a no confidence vote when their ducks are lined up.

I agree that Corbyn is a problem, and I have no idea how or if they will get around that one. Perhaps a collection of leaders - Corbyn, Swinson, Wee Jimmy...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:47 AM   #137
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Yes I believe that after a vote of no confidence in the Government, a new government can be formed within 14 days and seek approval from the Queen. Failing that it goes to a GE, so they would only call for a no confidence vote when their ducks are lined up.

I agree that Corbyn is a problem, and I have no idea how or if they will get around that one. Perhaps a collection of leaders - Corbyn, Swinson, Wee Jimmy...
Hence the government may need to resign as the opposition aren't calling for a VONC and if they do, who will head it (who's going to have enough ducks lined up). Tough as you say.

Could you imagine a half decent opposition? I mean, I bet Miliband is having kittens....he'd have wiped the floor with this and May's Government. His EdStone isn't looking as daft now...
Appreciate 1
Wills28662.00
      09-24-2019, 10:15 AM   #138
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Hence the government may need to resign as the opposition aren't calling for a VONC and if they do, who will head it (who's going to have enough ducks lined up). Tough as you say.

Could you imagine a half decent opposition? I mean, I bet Miliband is having kittens....he'd have wiped the floor with this and May's Government. His EdStone isn't looking as daft now...
The other Miliband would have not so sure Ed could find his arse using both hands, him beating his brother was the beginning of the end for Labour and led to the shit show that is Corbyn and friends.
      09-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #139
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
The other Miliband would have not so sure Ed could find his arse using both hands, him beating his brother was the beginning of the end for Labour and led to the shit show that is Corbyn and friends.
Absolutely - it was Ed's decision to open voting membership to anyone who paid them £3, which opened the door to the extremist stuff we see today. That decision destroyed the Labour Party.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #140
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely - it was Ed's decision to open voting membership to anyone who paid them £3, which opened the door to the extremist stuff we see today. That decision destroyed the Labour Party.
Indeed and didn't they allow him through to the ballot as a sop to the left fully expecting him to be trounced? (I might have dreamt that)
      09-24-2019, 10:35 AM   #141
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Quote:
Not forgetting Corbyn's influence. Thirty five odd years as an anonymous backbencher with a hard left and often controversial agenda, with a consistent track record of voting against his own govt when they were in power. Was always going to appeal to a certain tranche of labour supporters, who have now morphed into Momentum.
Edit: they have some good MPs but the leadership is a disaster.
      09-24-2019, 10:45 AM   #142
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Indeed and didn't they allow him through to the ballot as a sop to the left fully expecting him to be trounced? (I might have dreamt that)
Yes I remember that he was unable to get enough support from MPs to be included in the group to be put to the membership, so some moderate Labour MPs voted for him to ensure a broad range of candidates. The rest is (a rather depressing) history...
Appreciate 1
Wills28662.00
      09-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #143
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Yes I remember that he was unable to get enough support from MPs to be included in the group to be put to the membership, so some moderate Labour MPs voted for him to ensure a broad range of candidates. The rest is (a rather depressing) history...
Jesus Christ, I rather hoped I'd dreamt that.....
      09-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #144
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
God help us if that ever transpires - the political equivalent of the Tellytubbies.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #145
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
God help us if that ever transpires - the political equivalent of the Tellytubbies.
Yes it would come as quite a shock after the strong and stable government of recent times
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 03:27 AM   #146
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Wobbly and precarious is one thing a gaping sink hole where the gov should be is quite another.
      09-25-2019, 05:45 AM   #147
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
The 'Boris Bus' maker Wrightbus has gone into administration... wonder if it's a sign?

Sadly this does mean 1,400 Wrightbus jobs are at risk.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 07:41 AM   #148
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

The Attorney General Geoffrey Cox described the current Parliament as "dead" on several occasions during his address earlier today and that sounds about right to me. Whether a GE will alter the arithmetic so that progress can be made remains to be seen but it's clear the current situation isn't doing anyone - or more importantly the country - any good. In the absence of a credible alternative government in waiting in the existing House of Commons we need a GE and soon IMO...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 08:07 AM   #149
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
The Attorney General Geoffrey Cox described the current Parliament as "dead" on several occasions during his address earlier today and that sounds about right to me. Whether a GE will alter the arithmetic so that progress can be made remains to be seen but it's clear the current situation isn't doing anyone - or more importantly the country - any good. In the absence of a credible alternative government in waiting in the existing House of Commons we need a GE and soon IMO...
+ 1. Suspect a motion will come forward requesting a GE superseding the FTPA and forcing JC, the LDs and SNP to walk through the 'no' lobby rather than abstaining. The more the opposition resist, the more they look ridiculous IMO.

Last edited by zofinger; 09-25-2019 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 08:18 AM   #150
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
I totally agree.

Parliament has lost the ability to function; Brexit is being frustrated or simply blocked; the clock continues ticking; stalemate.

Put the electorate back in the driving seat. GE as soon as possible, but with one big risk - a Lab-Lib coalition with Corbyn at the helm.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 08:19 AM   #151
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I was listening to David Miliband opine on this today, as he said the issue is if we have a GE before Brexit is settled we're just going to end up with the same situation overall, his view was we must settle the Brexit question and then have a GE.

I agree with him.
      09-25-2019, 08:39 AM   #152
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
I was listening to David Miliband opine on this today, as he said the issue is if we have a GE before Brexit is settled we're just going to end up with the same situation overall, his view was we must settle the Brexit question and then have a GE.

I agree with him.
He didn't say how to settle Brexit did he?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #153
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
No just that a GE wouldn't solve it.
      09-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #154
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have a pretty good idea what David Milliband means by settle Brexit
Appreciate 0