F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 'Android CarPlay' :-D
Extreme Powerhouse

10-11-2016, 05:07 PM   #1
HelmutVisor
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F32 435d XDrive M Sport

'Android CarPlay' :-D

Yep, the Q dept has been at work again.

Moving on from my patented 'Splitter Cam' that worked via local wifi to an app on my phone, I decided that I could maximize some other aspects.

I'll post some daylight picks tomorrow but essentially, I've fitted a 7 inch Android Tablet to that gash hole in the centre console. Its attached by way of a magnet mount to the dash piece directly below the AC controls (no drilling or cutting required. Will explain how when I post day pics).

Why you may ask? Well, the same reason for any mod; because I can

Actually, I've found that I now have a totally independent 'iDrive/Infotainment centre'. My car network is now a little crazy but goes as follows;

Android smartphone (in usual place magnet mount on drivers vent) is bluetoothed to the car for usual functions (hands free phone etc).

Andriod tablet connected to car via bluetooth (for movie/TV audio, music and BMW Connected Drive)

Tablet is also using my phone as a portable Wi-fi hotspot so it too gets my phones 4G (for Google functions etc).

Tablet is also connected to my WifiAV local transmitter that sends splitter camera video to it.

The tablet has CarHome ultra app driving the front face which means I can put a load of apps on the display with big buttons. Google Maps, Street View, Mobdro, front camera, Tom Tom Speed Camera Alert, BMW Connected Drive, Ok Google voice, Sky Go etc. Still need to test whether long press on steering speech button will control it.

You can customise the colours and even though it doesnt show too well in the photo, I've matched it to the OEM cockpit red. It auto switched to day colours too (customisable).

Power is from a 90 down mini usb run behind it, secretly buried in the left bit of trim and run off to the under-glove box 12v supply with a twin USB cigar lighter adapter (phone takes power from this too).
When the car is unlocked, the screen comes on to the CarHome app straight away and connects to my phones wifi tether. On power off, the screen times out after 15 secs.

Having done a bit of testing, it works very well. Google maps gives you a secondary nav plan (with independent traffic info away from RTTI), Speed camera alert works continuously in the background and I was even able to watch a bit of the Japanese Grand Prix via Mobdro!

If I want to listen to audio sources from it, simply select it via the media iDrive (second bluetooth device).

If I park in an unsavoury area, unplug and pull it off the magnetic mount.

Minor down side is even though you can still access the cup holder draw, I'd prob need to remove it if I had any drinks in there (Solution - fit a CamelBak on my seat!).

Will be fiddling with some more apps and might even try a couple of other tablets.

Q out.

Last edited by HelmutVisor; 10-11-2016 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
DThr33634.00
      10-11-2016, 05:18 PM   #2
DThr33
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

You should try AutoMate on it, it's more like Android Auto than that Car Home app. Looking forward to daytime pics though!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #3
HelmutVisor
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DThr33 View Post
You should try AutoMate on it, it's more like Android Auto than that Car Home app. Looking forward to daytime pics though!
Ah, will do mate. I shall evaluate as many as I can then report back
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #4
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
Mate, nice work.

You seem to have too much time on your hands!!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #5
HelmutVisor
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CazuaLLUK View Post
Mate, nice work.

You seem to have too much time on your hands!!

Mate, it was a 5 min job to fit.

Unfortunately I'm always trying to find a solution to a question I never asked
Appreciate 1
CazuaLLUK2221.00
      10-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #6
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

So what grade of blu tac do you use?

Is it a lighter grade than that for use with an iPad attachment?

Last edited by ....,,,,..,,..; 10-11-2016 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: Bloody autocorrect
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #7
HelmutVisor
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
So what grade of blu tac do you use?

Is it a lighter grade than that for use with an iPad attachment?

Double sided carpet tape on the back of a metal disc thats stuck to the back of the tablet. Halfords rubber covered magnet cleverly secured to the trim. Bish bash bosh, jobs a good un.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #8
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmutVisor View Post
Unfortunately I'm always trying to find a solution to a question I never asked
I can tell lol
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 06:53 AM   #9
HelmutVisor
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

As promised, a couple of pics daytime.

Cable runs round the back of the tablet and pushed in to the left part of the trim to route round to the under glove box 12v supply. There is also a trim join running along side the left part of the trim so the cable is pretty much hidden (suits my OCD for having no wires dangling around). The mount is a strip of alloy in the vertical that utilises the redundant smokers pack light hole in the mid bottom part of the centre trim and attached to the inner top lip. Hopefully even with the tablet removed it doesnt stand out too much. Attached to that is the round rubberised magnetic holder. You can see the metal plate affixed to the back of the tablet.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 08:25 AM   #10
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmutVisor View Post
As promised, a couple of pics daytime.

Cable runs round the back of the tablet and pushed in to the left part of the trim to route round to the under glove box 12v supply. There is also a trim join running along side the left part of the trim so the cable is pretty much hidden (suits my OCD for having no wires dangling around). The mount is a strip of alloy in the vertical that utilises the redundant smokers pack light hole in the mid bottom part of the centre trim and attached to the inner top lip. Hopefully even with the tablet removed it doesnt stand out too much. Attached to that is the round rubberised magnetic holder. You can see the metal plate affixed to the back of the tablet.

So you replacing your Pro Nav with CAGE?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #11
HelmutVisor
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Lol pretty much!
Appreciate 0