F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Picking up my 14
ARMA SPEED

03-11-2014, 09:15 AM   #23
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSteve View Post
That £500 does seem a bit much. I've been quoted £250-300 for new car prep including machine polish to remove swirls if needed. Don't worry to much. Polishing will only remove a tiny bit of the clearcoat if done correctly and any decent detailer will come armed with a paint depth gauge to take readings before hand.
I have been quoted £300 for glasscoat with no machine polish as i've been told the new paint doesn't require it unless there are few minor scratches on few spots but not the whole car.
      03-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #24
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Yes sounds better, warranty sounds a little long though.

Usually 2 years as that's about most you can expect, with some reload etc on top post washing.

However he is doing he new car bit a bit better.
Yep agree 2 years max...5 10 years all selling techtics...but who cares as only going to keep the car for maybe max 3 years or so..
Is it still ok to perform foam wash? Will it effect the glass coat?
      03-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #25
vikz55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i M-Sport Convertible

I think there is a bit of confusion about detailing and polishing here. I consider myself to have an amateur level of knowledge about detailing. With respect to new cars, the theory is that even new cars get exposed to so much crap on their route to the dealer that they need to be properly prepped and this includes a machine polish. And speak to any detailer, they will tell you that any car washed by the dealer will probably be full of swirls (read the DW horror stories about dealer valets using fairy liquid in a bucket and a sweeping brush!)

Even if the car is swirl/minor scratch free, then they would still use a polish that has very low cut (i.e. less abrasive) but high gloss to add depth and and that wet look to your paint. And when used with a finishing pad on the polisher it will not significantly affect the laquer at all. (So with regards to OP's original question, just because the detailer plans to machine polish a new car, doesn't mean he's a dodgy detailer)

The laquer (or clear coat) is the top layer of the 3 layers in paint - the others being the paint colour itself, which sits above the base coat. Any light scratches or swirls sit within the clear coat - they are caused by imperfections in the surface (due to poor wash technique amongst other things) - the polish essentially just gently sands away part of the clear coat so that those imperfections are removed.

Its true that a car only has a limited amount of clear coat, which is why in the wrong hands, overpolishing your car can burn through the paint, and only be corrected with a respray. But any pro dealer will have a paint depth gauge to assess the paint thickness and decide how cautious they need to be (check they are insured!). So, a detailer prep is only worth its cost if you maintain your paint finish with good wash technique - you can't keep having machine polishes every 6 months - eventually you'll run out of clear coat.

Note also that deeper scratches (basically anything you can feel with your finger nail), cannot be polished out and will need either wetsanding or a body shop.

The basic detailing process is as follows -

2BM wash with pH neutral shampoo
De-tar
Fallout/iron remover
Claying
Polish
Wax/Sealant

Obviously there are far more steps you can implement depending on how serious you want to get.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #26
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikz55 View Post
I think there is a bit of confusion about detailing and polishing here. I consider myself to have an amateur level of knowledge about detailing. With respect to new cars, the theory is that even new cars get exposed to so much crap on their route to the dealer that they need to be properly prepped and this includes a machine polish. And speak to any detailer, they will tell you that any car washed by the dealer will probably be full of swirls (read the DW horror stories about dealer valets using fairy liquid in a bucket and a sweeping brush!)

Even if the car is swirl/minor scratch free, then they would still use a polish that has very low cut (i.e. less abrasive) but high gloss to add depth and and that wet look to your paint. And when used with a finishing pad on the polisher it will not significantly affect the laquer at all. (So with regards to OP's original question, just because the detailer plans to machine polish a new car, doesn't mean he's a dodgy detailer)

The laquer (or clear coat) is the top layer of the 3 layers in paint - the others being the paint colour itself, which sits above the base coat. Any light scratches or swirls sit within the clear coat - they are caused by imperfections in the surface (due to poor wash technique amongst other things) - the polish essentially just gently sands away part of the clear coat so that those imperfections are removed.

Its true that a car only has a limited amount of clear coat, which is why in the wrong hands, overpolishing your car can burn through the paint, and only be corrected with a respray. But any pro dealer will have a paint depth gauge to assess the paint thickness and decide how cautious they need to be (check they are insured!). So, a detailer prep is only worth its cost if you maintain your paint finish with good wash technique - you can't keep having machine polishes every 6 months - eventually you'll run out of clear coat.

Note also that deeper scratches (basically anything you can feel with your finger nail), cannot be polished out and will need either wetsanding or a body shop.

The basic detailing process is as follows -

2BM wash with pH neutral shampoo
De-tar
Fallout/iron remover
Claying
Polish
Wax/Sealant

Obviously there are far more steps you can implement depending on how serious you want to get.
The question is how sure are you about the car having so much crap on it whilst it's being transported to UK... ? Thats what my detailer asked me...it's not like the car has been stored away for a month inside a dirty warehouse or similar. Secondly one car might have significant crap on it whilst the other might not. Clay bar is enought to remove all the dirt from the car.
As faar as am aware new paint does not require any paint gauge as it is fully computerised spray giving similar amount of paint on every panel. Someone correct me if am wrong...

My car will be going straight to detailer so just gona inform my dealer not to wash the car..

Last edited by ///MSport420; 03-11-2014 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #27
chiark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330D 2014

5 year warranty on a sealant? I call bs on that too.

You all pays yer money and takes yer choices, but ill be doing a little bit of cleaning on mine depending what it's like. Clay bar, polish, wax or sealant. That's it.

It's a family car so will get marks on it, dirty, swirl marks etc. At the end of the day i like a shiny car (I've spent too much over the years, including zymol stuff) but whatever you do it'll pick up marks.

Maybe I'll machine polish it in a couple of years...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #28
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
5 year warranty on a sealant? I call bs on that too.

You all pays yer money and takes yer choices, but ill be doing a little bit of cleaning on mine depending what it's like. Clay bar, polish, wax or sealant. That's it.

It's a family car so will get marks on it, dirty, swirl marks etc. At the end of the day i like a shiny car (I've spent too much over the years, including zymol stuff) but whatever you do it'll pick up marks.

Maybe I'll machine polish it in a couple of years...
I would hav done it myself but not confident on using claybar and dont think it's good idea to start learning on a new car

Some say 5 years and others say lifetime but i guess no one so stupid to beleive that...
      03-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #29
chiark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330D 2014

True...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #30
vikz55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i M-Sport Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MSport420 View Post
The question is how sure are you about the car having so much crap on it whilst it's being transported to UK... ? Thats what my detailer asked me...it's not like the car has been stored away for a month inside a dirty warehouse or similar. Secondly one car might have significant crap on it whilst the other might not. Clay bar is enought to remove all the dirt from the car.
As faar as am aware new paint does not require any paint gauge as it is fully computerised spray giving similar amount of paint on every panel. Someone correct me if am wrong...

My car will be going straight to detailer so just gona inform my dealer not to wash the car..
I must say, the only new car I have experience with was my wife's VW polo, which was immaculate with no swirls, so I didn't get it pro detailed and have just been keeping the paint in good nick myself. I'm basing that more on reports on DW about transport sheets, adhesives etc which as you say should come out with a good decontamination. But if the dealer valets wash it without any care that's where the swirls will come from.
Agree too with not needing a paint guage initially but more general advice for people who have had their cars polished a few times (or machine polish themselves as I do) just something to be aware of - especially as BMW (and other German marques) is known for its hard paint which is difficult to correct and may need more abrasive polishes than a car with softer paint like Japanese marques.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #31
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:

Every car will be different and have different needs.

Some may have more crap, some less.

Also between brands there is a difference in paints, example BMW and subaru or Toyota.

If you have a decent detailer they should assess it first, then yeah it's prepare the canvas for sealant, wax etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #32
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

I wouldn't say a detailer is 'dodgy' to polish a car before prepping for the first time but I definitely think it's overkill and not necessary. Save the money for your own cleaning products.
There should be no swirls to the clear coat as the car has never been washed. Claying the car will give a perfect surface for any sealants to bond to.
A 5 year warranty?...That made me laugh!!!
You'd be lucky to get 18-24months out of any sealants so don't believe what they say. aim for 12 months and anything else is a bonus
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #33
pedroF31
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 325d Luxury

I am sorry if this upsets some folk but when i drop 40k on a new car i EXPECT it to be mint and certainly not have paint damage/'swirl marks'. If it has, i don't pay or take possesion of it - simples. I don't wish to sound like the re-incarnation of Bob Crow but, in my opinion, folk who think they should spend £250 - 500 having a new car 'detailed ' (Posh word for wash and polish) need to grow some cahoonas.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #34
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroF31 View Post
I am sorry if this upsets some folk but when i drop 40k on a new car i EXPECT it to be mint and certainly not have paint damage/'swirl marks'. If it has, i don't pay or take possesion of it - simples. I don't wish to sound like the re-incarnation of Bob Crow but, in my opinion, folk who think they should spend £250 - 500 having a new car 'detailed ' (Posh word for wash and polish) need to grow some cahoonas.
The majority of people getting car detailed are getting likes of CQuartz etc on it, as in long term protection.

Was your car shine n protect by BMW dealer?
Or was it delivered un touched?

Most detailing people are on about well cheaper then BMW

Pretty much all new cars have some swirl marks, holograms etc.

The same 'sprayer' does 1 series basic and maxed out 335 etc.

You also might find the idea is not to use polish.

So I assume you rejected your first 2 cars until they got it too your satisfaction?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #35
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
I wouldn't say a detailer is 'dodgy' to polish a car before prepping for the first time but I definitely think it's overkill and not necessary. Save the money for your own cleaning products.
There should be no swirls to the clear coat as the car has never been washed. Claying the car will give a perfect surface for any sealants to bond to.
A 5 year warranty?...That made me laugh!!!
You'd be lucky to get 18-24months out of any sealants so don't believe what they say. aim for 12 months and anything else is a bonus
I was surprised he only said 5 years not lifetime
I think we not stupid to believe that .. I seriously would be happy if it last me 6 months so then i start buying products and have some fun waxing...
      03-13-2014, 02:01 AM   #36
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I think we not stupid to believe that .. I seriously would be happy if it last me 6 months so then i start buying products and have some fun waxing...
Yep that's the main thing, it's actually fun trying different waxes, seeing what one or mix looks best, best depth of colour, best beading etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 02:33 AM   #37
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand
Quote:
Yep that's the main thing, it's actually fun trying different waxes, seeing what one or mix looks best, best depth of colour, best beading etc.
Yep, I was considering some Purple wax on my Mineral Grey car... There is a an occasional blue/purple hue, I thought it may be interesting to exaggerate this.

DIY waxing is very satisfying!... If any of you are not entirely sure of your abilities, a detailer can do the polishing and prep stage but finish in an easily user maintainable product. Waxes, pastes and semi-synthetic products are generally easier to use than full on synthetic products.
      03-13-2014, 02:51 AM   #38
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Yep, I was considering some Purple wax on my Mineral Grey car... There is a an occasional blue/purple hue, I thought it may be interesting to exaggerate this.

DIY waxing is very satisfying!... If any of you are not entirely sure of your abilities, a detailer can do the polishing and prep stage but finish in an easily user maintainable product. Waxes, pastes and semi-synthetic products are generally easier to use than full on synthetic products.
Yeah I am trying a mix of dodo purple haze and some blue velvet, although may try with some sn hybrid.

Will see what works
Appreciate 0