F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DAB/FM Quality
Extreme Powerhouse

03-07-2014, 05:41 AM   #1
m88jey
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport+

DAB/FM Quality

Hi chaps, has anyone switched between the same radio station on DAB and FM? Does anyone actually prefer the FM quality more? sounds like a stupid question but I was testing this the other day and DAB sounded a bit dull and i actually preferred FM. I did this test on several stations and it seemed to be the same. I have no doubt DAB would be better at a higher volume and maybe its all just personal preference.

Not sure if this subject has come up before but would be good to hear your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 06:02 AM   #2
chiark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330D 2014

Very much depends on the channel, as there's different bit rates assigned to different channels. BBC national channels tend to have a decent bit rate - BBC 1 & 2 use 128kbit/s, BBC 3 sometimes uses 192kbit/s, all in stereo.

By contrast, Absolute 80s is now 64kbit/s mono, and consequently can sound a little, er, crap. Local BBC stations tend to be down on bitrate too.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 06:03 AM   #3
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUZLERGEFF View Post
Hi chaps, has anyone switched between the same radio station on DAB and FM? Does anyone actually prefer the FM quality more? sounds like a stupid question but I was testing this the other day and DAB sounded a bit dull and i actually preferred FM. I did this test on several stations and it seemed to be the same. I have no doubt DAB would be better at a higher volume and maybe its all just personal preference.

Not sure if this subject has come up before but would be good to hear your thoughts.
The sound level on DAB is slightly lower as far as I know, so a direct switch makes the DAB sound less impressive. To compare apples with apples, you'd have to adjust the volume up on DAB too. I have found them to be even Stevens in good FM range and DAB superior in poorer reception areas.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 06:06 AM   #4
matk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d F31

Dab looses signal a lot where I live, I hope they sort out the signal before the switchover.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #5
stevelup
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 with lots of toys

DAB is very poor technology unfortunately. It's worth pointing out that it's MPEG layer 2, not layer 3.

So a 'top end' 192kbps stream will actually sound worse than a 96kbps MP3 file.

It is -far- worse than a good quality FM broadcast.

A seriously missed opportunity...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

So far I'm extremely unimpressed with the dab radio. Whenever I've tried using it it keeps cutting on and out which becomes irritating very quickly

Can't be arsed with it tbh and Switched back to FM.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #7
m88jey
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
The sound level on DAB is slightly lower as far as I know, so a direct switch makes the DAB sound less impressive. To compare apples with apples, you'd have to adjust the volume up on DAB too. I have found them to be even Stevens in good FM range and DAB superior in poorer reception areas.
ah ok, i'll try bumping up the volume of DAB and then run the same test to see if it makes a difference, cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 08:12 AM   #8
Darkfiber
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

hmm funny, I was under the exact opposite impression... DAB in belgium sounds way better then FM ...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #9
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelup View Post
DAB is very poor technology unfortunately. It's worth pointing out that it's MPEG layer 2, not layer 3.

So a 'top end' 192kbps stream will actually sound worse than a 96kbps MP3 file.

It is -far- worse than a good quality FM broadcast.

A seriously missed opportunity...
Depends whether you are mobile or not. A clear 160kbps DAB is better than a high signal to noise ratio analogue even if the source MPEG is better. Driving around exposes you to just such a situation with FM.

If you are at home?? Who listens to radio expecting A1 sound? How many houses have FM radio aerials on the roof?

No doubt, digital will progress, but for a first attempt, it is at the very least equal to the existing technology (FM) to the car listeners out there.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100 View Post
So far I'm extremely unimpressed with the dab radio. Whenever I've tried using it it keeps cutting on and out which becomes irritating very quickly

Can't be arsed with it tbh and Switched back to FM.
+1. Was driving up through the Cotswolds last weekend and DAB kept cutting out. Switched back to FM in the end as I'd rather put up with the odd crackle than it completely cutting out. That gets SO annoying.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #11
stevelup
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 with lots of toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Depends whether you are mobile or not. A clear 160kbps DAB is better than a high signal to noise ratio analogue even if the source MPEG is better. Driving around exposes you to just such a situation with FM.
Not sure I agree. DAB is far worse because it's all or nothing. I'd much rather hear a bit of noise than have the signal drop out completely.

Quote:
If you are at home?? Who listens to radio expecting A1 sound? How many houses have FM radio aerials on the roof?
Some people do though. A lot of classical nuts have pretty high end installations for listening to Radio 3.

Quote:
No doubt, digital will progress, but for a first attempt, it is at the very least equal to the existing technology (FM) to the car listeners out there.
We'll have to disagree. It is low bitrate, and not at all robust. It's a very poor system.

The future will be internet streaming, not any kind of broadcast solution, but until we have decent mobile data coverage on our road networks, that's not a viable option either.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #12
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

It is a real shame there are no plans to introduce DAB+ to UK!

DAB+ is encoded in aacplus instead of mpeg2 which potentially gives better sound quality. I say potentially as it depends what bit rate they choose to broadcast at, it's quite likely that a lower bit rate would be used on many stations to fit more stations into each multiplex giving no sound improvement over DAB, just a big improvement in how many stations can fit in each multiplex!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #13
GBR1
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 45e on order

I just did an unscientific test and the same station in FM was much better than DAB. This was a local radio station so that may have something to do with it!?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #14
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

DAB levels are slightly lower. However, even if the levels are adjusted to be the same, DAB does not sound as good as FM. DAB lacks the dynamic range and mid-range detail of FM. Like it or not, DAB sounds compressed. Listen to a good broadcast of Classical Music and the difference is pretty obvious.

However, with DAB you don't get the slight interference which you may get with FM. But FM sound is undoubtedly better, interference or not.

If only we had DAB+. Until then, it's tough titties for all of us. We just have to put up with DAB rubbish and suffer, especially since we had to pay for it.
      03-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #15
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelup View Post
Not sure I agree. DAB is far worse because it's all or nothing. I'd much rather hear a bit of noise than have the signal drop out completely.
We will have to disagree. I have clocked up roughly 40k miles a year for the last 12 years. What I have found on my travels is FM will go through patches of sometimes 5-10 minutes of interference, when DAB will just stop for typically 2-5 seconds, occasionally a little longer.

FM on long distance work, means you have to rely on your tuner selecting the next FM frequency when it becomes stronger than the last ( I have never found a radio capable of doing this better than doing it manually, and yes I have had top model Pioneers and Alpines). With DAB, this is a non issue.

Sure, if your driving habits consist of running to the local Tesco and the bowls club, and you live in a good FM coverage, then FM is great.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #16
Dowsab
Rep
Drives: 420i

DAB/FM

Hi.... I picked up my 420i yesterday - and ditched the DAB presets the same day, just kept losing signal. FM on the move sounds just as good anyway! Love the car....
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #17
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

This debate is all pointless anyway, Radio 1xtra is only available on DAB! So DAB it has to be!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #18
m88jey
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
This debate is all pointless anyway, Radio 1xtra is only available on DAB! So DAB it has to be!
That's the reason i never really noticed before as 1xtra is the only station I listen to apart from my ipod!

Just found this while having a quick browse:

http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/DAB_sound.html
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #19
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUZLERGEFF View Post
That's the reason i never really noticed before as 1xtra is the only station I listen to apart from my ipod!

Just found this while having a quick browse:

http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/DAB_sound.html
Good man!

And yea i thought 1xtra sound quality was good!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #20
m88jey
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Good man!

And yea i thought 1xtra sound quality was good!
It is good but when i checked out some of the other stations like kiss, absolute or capital xtra it was pretty poor compared to FM. Would have never noticed had i not switched over (i think it auto switches if it looses dab signal with that option ticked).
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #21
rocketretro
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M235i Coupe

Garage List
So if we eventually did get UK DAB upgraded to DAB+ we would have to have to change to DAB+ radio installations, as the existing equipment fitted in cars is not compatible, or am I wrong?
      03-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #22
m88jey
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketretro View Post
So if we eventually did get UK DAB upgraded to DAB+ we would have to have to change to DAB+ radio installations, as the existing equipment fitted in cars is not compatible, or am I wrong?

Well apparently the more recent DAB radios can run DAB+ (albeit with a firmware upgrade). So I'd imagine our cars can run it. Maybe someone from another country (Australia?) which have DAB+ channels can tell us?

I've just read another interesting article on this below:

http://www.techradar.com/news/car-te...fix-it-1217586
Appreciate 0