F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Anti-theft advise?
ARMA SPEED

01-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #1
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

Anti-theft advise?

just wondering if anyone else use such devices like trackers or coding immobilisation or whatnot?

i dont have comfort access so not sure if i need to be worried or not about my car being nicked... (or as much as say, owners who Do have keyless).

don't think the 440i is desirable enough to want to be nicked anyway, but in any case, can people 'hack' into the car?
or is this only a concern for keyless entry folk?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:42 PM   #2
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Never heard of non keyless entry cars being hacked but maybe I've missed it?
I use a Disklok all the time and have gap insurance - that's the extent of my precautions. Has worked for many years now, touch wood
      01-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
Lincoln61
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 430d Msport+

Vehicle Replacement GAP insurance

I have comfort access, but am told things are more secure now (not sure if thats the case?) At the end of the day if some scrote is determined to take the car, chances are they will. All I can do is make sure I get a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
Ss66
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

Gap and disklok here.
2008 Toyota Yaris sr
2005 e46 320d. 1996 316i.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #5
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Gap and disklok at least, along with decent locks on your home.

Add to that Autowatch ghost if you wanna make it even harder for thieves.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #6
rjcno55
Rep
Drives: F31

Steering lock and tracker here. Cctv at home as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:34 PM   #7
335d Touring Xdrive
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 335d Touring

It's not advisable to advertise on a public forum what security you have on your car or home.
Don't be fooled in to thinking a 440 isn't a desirable car to be stolen. Any BMW is a desirable car when these thieves are selling your car on for just a fraction of the cost of it to his cousin in the next town.
Disc lock is a good visual deterrent imo.
Faraday pouch for your remote keys is a must too.
Don't bother with tracker if you have gap insurance. Would you want your old car back if the other option is to get a brand new one that hasn't been thrashed around by the thief?
Prevention is better than a cure, so fit a Ghost immobiliser if you don;'t want your car to be stolen in the first place by means of key theft or obc theft, or even signal snatching.
I would also highly recommend putting your car in a garage and out of sight if at home at all times. So many cars get stolen off the drive these days, it's untrue.
If you have a driveway but no garage, get one of those driveway intruder alarms so you know as soon as someone has come onto your property.
They really are a good idea,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1BYONE-WI...PIoA:rk:5:pf:1
Appreciate 2
gippy230.00
      01-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #8
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335d Touring Xdrive View Post
It's not advisable to advertise on a public forum what security you have on your car or home.
Don't be fooled in to thinking a 440 isn't a desirable car to be stolen. Any BMW is a desirable car when these thieves are selling your car on for just a fraction of the cost of it to his cousin in the next town.
Disc lock is a good visual deterrent imo.
Faraday pouch for your remote keys is a must too.
Don't bother with tracker if you have gap insurance. Would you want your old car back if the other option is to get a brand new one that hasn't been thrashed around by the thief?
Prevention is better than a cure, so fit a Ghost immobiliser if you don;'t want your car to be stolen in the first place by means of key theft or obc theft, or even signal snatching.
I would also highly recommend putting your car in a garage and out of sight if at home at all times. So many cars get stolen off the drive these days, it's untrue.
If you have a driveway but no garage, get one of those driveway intruder alarms so you know as soon as someone has come onto your property.
They really are a good idea,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1BYONE-WI...PIoA:rk:5:pf:1
Goodness, that all sounds like a lot of trouble. I feel a little careless. I lock my car, make sure the keys aren't out on view in the house, and that's about it.

Oh, and the Faraday pouch isn't a must for the OP, it's pointless. He doesn't have keyless entry. Only keyless entry keys are permanently transmitting and can be read.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #9
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln61 View Post
but am told things are more secure now (not sure if thats the case?)
They are if you buy the new keys...the BMW ones that sleep
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:05 PM   #10
335d Touring Xdrive
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Goodness, that all sounds like a lot of trouble.

Oh, and the Faraday pouch isn't a must for the OP, it's pointless. He doesn't have keyless entry. Only keyless entry keys are permanently transmitting and can be read.
Not really a lot of trouble if you care about how hard you have had to work to actually own a car. But a whole lot of trouble trying to sort it out if your car gets stolen, then being treated like a criminal by your insurance company when explaining how your car was stolen.

The faraday pouch may well not be much use to the op, but one would be useful to many other owners that read this topic. I have just watched a Merc GL being stolen in a matter of seconds by keyless theft, a faraday pouch would have prevented this. For just £6.00, i think it is worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #11
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335d Touring Xdrive View Post
Not really a lot of trouble if you care about how hard you have had to work to actually own a car. But a whole lot of trouble trying to sort it out if your car gets stolen, then being treated like a criminal by your insurance company when explaining how your car was stolen.

The faraday pouch may well not be much use to the op, but one would be useful to many other owners that read this topic. I have just watched a Merc GL being stolen in a matter of seconds by keyless theft, a faraday pouch would have prevented this. For just £6.00, i think it is worthwhile.
I don't disagree, but your post was addressed to the OP. Didn't want him to waste money or the effort putting his key in it every day when it wouldn't be doing anything.

It'd be a lot of effort for me, I'd have to build a garage.....
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2019, 07:44 AM   #12
thescouselander
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

I've got a Faraday pouch. I didn't spec comfort access on my car due to security concerns but it does have key-less start (as standard) so there's still some risk there albeit a potential thief would need to break into the car first before stealing it - that's not beyond the realms of possibility though.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #13
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescouselander View Post
I've got a Faraday pouch. I didn't spec comfort access on my car due to security concerns but it does have key-less start (as standard) so there's still some risk there albeit a potential thief would need to break into the car first before stealing it - that's not beyond the realms of possibility though.
I might be missing something here. How does a thief get the signal from your key before he breaks in if it's not comfort access? The Faraday pouch seems pointless in your case, unless I'm misunderstanding how the keys work. One of us is.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 07:58 AM   #14
A13x
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I might be missing something here. How does a thief get the signal from your key before he breaks in if it's not comfort access? The Faraday pouch seems pointless in your case, unless I'm misunderstanding how the keys work. One of us is.
when I picked up my car only one set of keys worked, the bmw sales guy said it just needs another coding and did it just as the car door was locked. I assume they do something similar when you lock your car
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #15
335d Touring Xdrive
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If they break in to your car,, and gain access to the cars obc, they usualy have a device that plugs in to it, then they reprogramme another key which takes seconds.
The position of the obc was in a place where they could access it without ypu car alarm going off once they had broken your drivers side window. I am not sure this is still the case with newer cars. Some people have the obc moved or disabled or relocated.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #16
thescouselander
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Its just a case of gaining access to the car using more traditional methods and then using the usual relay trick to activate the key-less start. I was wondering if the immobiliser would stay active if the car hasn't been unlocked with the key but I've not been able to confirm this yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #17
Lincoln61
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 430d Msport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post
They are if you buy the new keys...the BMW ones that sleep
So does a 2018 car have this type of key?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #18
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Its just a case of gaining access to the car using more traditional methods and then using the usual relay trick to activate the key-less start. I was wondering if the immobiliser would stay active if the car hasn't been unlocked with the key but I've not been able to confirm this yet.
I may be being stupid, which there's a good chance, but I still don't see what a Faraday case does for you?

A comfort access key normally transmits all the time, so someone outside your front door can potentially read the signal and steal your car.

A normal key only transmits when you press the button, zero risk of being read at any other time. So, as far as I can see, a Faraday case does nothing at all for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #19
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Get a Disklok or a Stoplock Pro/Elite for the steering wheel and maybe an immobiliser as well such as Pandora Immo which works of a driver tag so all you have to do is have it with you to deactivate the immobiliser as opposed to tap in a code like the Autowatch Ghost requires.

If you want an alarm with it and which immobilises the OBD port too then get a Pandora Mini BT. Both the Immo and Mini BT are excellent and a great alternative to the Ghost. The driver tag is not much bigger of thicker than an SD card - a great bit of kit !
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #20
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

In prior cars I've wired a hidden kill switch to the fuel pump. Doesn't get much better than that. I'd tell you where I hid the switch but I'd have to kill you.
Appreciate 3
SO8242.50
F30Andy1771.00
      01-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #21
thescouselander
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I may be being stupid, which there's a good chance, but I still don't see what a Faraday case does for you?

A comfort access key normally transmits all the time, so someone outside your front door can potentially read the signal and steal your car.

A normal key only transmits when you press the button, zero risk of being read at any other time. So, as far as I can see, a Faraday case does nothing at all for you.

The normal key transmits in the same way as the comfort access key - that's how the keyless start works.

It's actually keyless start that's is the issue. It's not such a big deal that a theif can open the doors - the real problem is that they can start the engine with a relay attack. In terms of key less start both the comfort access key and normal key are exactly the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #22
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
The normal key transmits in the same way as the comfort access key - that's how the keyless start works.

It's actually keyless start that's is the issue. It's not such a big deal that a theif can open the doors - the real problem is that they can start the engine with a relay attack. In terms of key less start both the comfort access key and normal key are exactly the same.
I don't think that is true. Isn't it the car that looks for the key in order to start. The key isn't constantly transmitting and therefore isn't at risk through relay theft.
Appreciate 0