F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335d v Mini Mk1 GP
ARMA SPEED

03-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

335d v Mini Mk1 GP

Had the day off work today so myself and one of my mates decided to take a run out in tandem from Edinburgh to Moffat and back. the A710 is one of the best driving roads you'll find - a real mixture of fast sweepers and some really tight and technical corners. You also have to keep your wits about you as you could easily get caught out if you were in any way reckless.

Anyway, we were keen to see how 2 very different cars measured up. Our thoughts beforehand were that the Mini would have the advantage through the corners and the 335d would claw things back on the straights.

Well, having done the run down with me leading and the run back with the Mini leading I gained some more insight into my own car, but also just how capable the GP is. The 335d was very capable through the sweeping turns and flows nicely, but in the tighter and more technical turns there was a little too much lateral movement before it settles and a bit too much roll to provide enough incisiveness on turn-in. Nothing some stiffer springs and beefier ARBs might cure, but it definitely means those corners aren't its forte.

The Mini meanwhile seemed born for that road. The way it scampered down the road was quite remarkable and it left me really struggling to keep up. Certainly if I'd pushed any harder it would have been reckless on what was a dry road with very little traffic. What was also telling was my inability to make ground up on the straights - that is a seriously fast little car in a straight line. At the other end my mate, who only recently got the car, reckoned that was probably the best fun he's had on that road. That's some praise given both the cars he currently owns and those he's owned or driven previously.

So, whilst I still like the 335d I wouldn't advise picking a fight with a Mini GP down your nearest stretch of twisty tarmac!

Last edited by Cootie; 03-12-2014 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Those little cars are built for that type of scenario.

I was close to buying a MK1 GP as they great little cars for the money.

Glad you both had fun though.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, really good fun - perfect day for it as well with the weather.

The GP is a real hero car - a bit of a giant killer and it really is epic fun to drive. Light weight, short wheelbase, hydraulic steering and really well honed suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
chiark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330D 2014

I think a wise man once said "Ye cannae change the laws of physics!", and unfortunately weight is definitely still an issue with the 3... Particularly with a diesel 6 pot and 4WD hardware.

Sounds like fun though...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
ATM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Active Hybrid 3

I had a brief tussle with a very new cooper works type mini. It ended with me being in front. It was close though.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

Rematch, same route, wet and greasy
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dJa View Post
I'd question you'd still have more fun in the Mini. My old Cooper S is still used as our office zip about car - couldn't face getting rid of it. It's not as mental as my original Mk 1 Cooper S Works but if you ever wanted something to demonstrate how bloated the 335d feels on smaller twisties, it'll do a damn fine job. Good to see car makers still produce cars with lift-off oversteer on demand
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
335dJa
Captain
Rep

I agree you'd probably have more fun in the mini but progress might be hindered. Is the mini LSD? I would assume it probably had some sort but my memories of any of my fwd cars was spinning all the power away trying to get out of corners, with exception to an integra type r, that was incredible for a fwd.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Might level the playing field a bit but the mk1 GP has a mechanical limited slip diff so has no trouble getting its power down even in the wet. Still reckon it would have the advantage...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #10
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
What would that change? High weight with less tyre grip is likely to make matters worse...No?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #11
335dJa
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
Might level the playing field a bit but the mk1 GP has a mechanical limited slip diff so has no trouble getting its power down even in the wet. Still reckon it would have the advantage...
Maybe, those LSD's do help fwd massively.
I'm still on a learning curve with the 335d to be honest, getting it to do what i want during corners is a very new way of driving. I've driven fwd hard, rwd hard but this is my first awd with rear bias. My various Audis with Quattro may have well been fwd from a driving point of view.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #12
335dJa
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
What would that change? High weight with less tyre grip is likely to make matters worse...No?
The awd was my point, but as mentioned, the lsd would probably counter that pretty effectively
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 12:30 PM   #13
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

[QUOTE=Cootie;15590131

The 335d was very capable through the sweeping turns and flows nicely, but in the tighter and more technical turns there was a little too much lateral movement before it settles and a bit too much roll to provide enough incisiveness on turn-in. Nothing some stiffer springs and beefier ARBs might cure, but it definitely means those corners aren't its forte.

[/QUOTE]

This is my thoughts on this car, probably even more so as I've got a tourer. Having said that I adjusted my driving style for the 335d over say the Z4 which is way flatter and faster through tight bends. So for the 335d I don't always aim for maximum speed carried through a corner, but to get the braking done early for a slow in, and then get on it early on the way out. With the xdrive I've found you can really get on the throttle early in a way I never could in my old 330d. It's fun in a different way, but probably not quite as satisfying. Having said all that, it's a bloody family estate car!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #14
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
This is my thoughts on this car, probably even more so as I've got a tourer. Having said that I adjusted my driving style for the 335d over say the Z4 which is way flatter and faster through tight bends. So for the 335d I don't always aim for maximum speed carried through a corner, but to get the braking done early for a slow in, and then get on it early on the way out. With the xdrive I've found you can really get on the throttle early in a way I never could in my old 330d. It's fun in a different way, but probably not quite as satisfying. Having said all that, it's a bloody family estate car!
Exactly at end of the day it's an Estate car ( or saloon)

Mini, hot hatch of your pick will nearly always win, as mentioned, it's laws of physics.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #15
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Agree re it being a family car and therefore perhaps an unfair comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Mini, hot hatch of your pick will nearly always win, as mentioned, it's laws of physics.
Definitely think it would have to be one of the better hot hatches in the case of the 335d - I've had no problem shaking a Focus ST, Golf Gti (Mk6) etc. The Mini is definitely a step above them cross country. May be in part due to it weighing less than 1100kg whereas they're 1350+. I actually reckon on the road today the Mini GP would have been able to keep up with a Cayman, having experience of a Cayman R on the very same run.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #16
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
Agree re it being a family car and therefore perhaps an unfair comparison.

Definitely think it would have to be one of the better hot hatches in the case of the 335d - I've had no problem shaking a Focus ST, Golf Gti (Mk6) etc. The Mini is definitely a step above them cross country. May be in part due to it weighing less than 1100kg whereas they're 1350+. I actually reckon on the road today the Mini GP would have been able to keep up with a Cayman, having experience of a Cayman R on the very same run.
Just proves what a class act it as a family car.

Am looking forward to a summer run to top of Scotland and since am getting an xdrive the winter run as well.
Appreciate 0