F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Can you fit other tyres?
proTUNING Freaks

07-16-2018, 02:43 AM   #1
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Can you fit other tyres?

Looking at winter wheels and tyres.

Tracked down wheels from mrwinterwheels, but they say the only tyres that are approved for the wheel are the Bridgestone Blizzard run flats. The reviews are a bit mixed, noticed that Continental Wintercontacts come in that size (245/50/19).

Keen to use mrwinterwheels as their products are really good and are BMW sizes.

Anybody know if I could fit the Continentals instead of the Bridgestones?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 02:47 AM   #2
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

If the Contis are the correct size AND the a t least the correct minimum load/speed rating, then no reason as to not use them.

Unless the specific wheel has some weird bead edge that only fits with the Bridgestones, of course. But I can't imagine that being the case.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2758.00
      07-16-2018, 03:00 AM   #3
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
If the Contis are the correct size AND the a t least the correct minimum load/speed rating, then no reason as to not use them.

Unless the specific wheel has some weird bead edge that only fits with the Bridgestones, of course. But I can't imagine that being the case.
Thanks. I’m fearing BMW have done something to the wheel so that only you can use the “BMW approved Bridgestone “. I will check with the supplier.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 04:22 AM   #4
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Do you think you'd notice any discernible difference between the two tyres anyway?

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2758.00
      07-16-2018, 05:45 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Thanks. I’m fearing BMW have done something to the wheel so that only you can use the “BMW approved Bridgestone “. I will check with the supplier.
Are you fitting RFTS? If so you need rims with the correct supporting profile. Not aware of anything new to rim specs’, BMW have been using EH2 / EH2+ rims.

Is it simply the Conti's available are not BMW star marked approved tyres? Could be the xDrive compatibility issues being flagged up.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2758.00
      07-16-2018, 07:01 AM   #6
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
Do you think you'd notice any discernible difference between the two tyres anyway?
I doubt I will see any difference. Probably analysing it too much after looking at the auto express winter tyre reviews. Continental top.

But for Scottish winters, sure Bridgestones will do me fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 07:05 AM   #7
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Are you fitting RFTS? If so you need rims with the correct supporting profile. Not aware of anything new to rim specs’, BMW have been using EH2 / EH2+ rims.

Is it simply the Conti's available are not BMW star marked approved tyres? Could be the xDrive compatibility issues being flagged up.
Yes, looking at runflats as it’s the only tyres in that size for the wheels.

Thinking that this may be the case, so thinking Bridgestones may be the safer option. Anyway, after last winter, probably won’t snow this year!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 08:28 AM   #8
shoestring
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 320D Sport Auto

Apologies for the thread drift....
Not having had a rear wheel drive car for many years until now a question I have is are winter tyres really necessary?
No doubt they are a 'must have' in the wilds of Scotland but in say the Midlands/South where only every couple of winters do we see anything more than a couple of inches are they really so much better than say a new good set of normal tyres driving on main roads that are usually gritted/salted?
They would in my case be hanging around ( storage!) for maybe 2-3 years before they are knackered if say I only do 5-7k over the winter months.
Last winter I managed reasonably ok on normal tyres and it was quite a bad winter so are they worth it is my question?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 08:38 AM   #9
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:

Tracked down wheels from mrwinterwheels, but they say the only tyres that are approved for the wheel are the Bridgestone Blizzard run flats. The reviews are a bit mixed, noticed that Continental Wintercontacts come in that size (245/50/19).

Thanks
https://www.oponeo.co.uk/advice-and-...ize-calculator

Enter your tyre size to check what the alternatives are and how they impact on your speedo.

You can fit whatever you want so long as it fits!
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2758.00
      07-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #10
Pobsey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F31 330d / 2010 e87 118d

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestring View Post
Not having had a rear wheel drive car for many years until now a question I have is are winter tyres really necessary?
No doubt they are a 'must have' in the wilds of Scotland but in say the Midlands/South where only every couple of winters do we see anything more than a couple of inches are they really so much better than say a new good set of normal tyres driving on main roads that are usually gritted/salted?
They would in my case be hanging around ( storage!) for maybe 2-3 years before they are knackered if say I only do 5-7k over the winter months.
Last winter I managed reasonably ok on normal tyres and it was quite a bad winter so are they worth it is my question?
I find it’s not just in snow that winter tyres come into their own, even cold wet weather there is more grip. Plus if you were out and it starts to snow you’ve got half a chance of getting where you want in one piece. It happened last to me, had to take son to the doctors, came out to find 2-3” of snow at which point you realise how steep and crowned the roads in your area and you are in your 1 month old 330d on 19” is sliding on the crown of the road!
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2758.00
      07-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #11
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Something like Michelin Crossclimates that you leave on the car all year round are ideal for Midlands/south .. I had them on my old 320d and they performed very well in the ice and snow.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2758.00
      07-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #12
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Oh no...I fear I’ve started the annual winter tyre debate.....

I don’t consider winter tyres essential. Just an added support if the weather turns. And as has already been said, they help in the cold and rain!

My lasting memory of last winter....heavy snow....upward incline to get out of my estate...cars stuck all over the place....me (in 330d) and my neighbour in his Carrera (both in winters) were only people to get out.

Peoples faces were a picture when the pair of us in convoy just drove through the chaos.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #13
shoestring
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 320D Sport Auto

Ok thanks for the input folks...You have convinced me I should get some!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 05:30 AM   #14
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
I did two mild winters without winter tyres and then bought a set of wheels with winter tyres on for the last one. As you know we had plenty of snow and the tyres performed superbly. There was no way I could have driven in those conditions with my summer tyres on. They also have more grip for stopping and cornering in cold conditions.

I looked in the classified adds on this forum and bought a genuine set of BMW wheels with good Michelin winter tyres for a reasonable price. So yes, in my opinion they are worth the relatively small cost, and it saves my nice diamond cut alloys from the winter conditions....and I live in the Midlands.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2758.00
      07-17-2018, 06:12 AM   #15
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

“Mrwinterwheels “ are good if anybody wants new wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 05:06 AM   #16
jnismith
Captain
Rep
Drives: Golf R, Maserati Gransport

Quote:
Ok thanks for the input folks...You have convinced me I should get some!
I had winter tyres on my 335D for 3 years and it never snowed. Have had two winters on the 440i without winter tyres and it has snowed. But I managed to get about OK. I've never really noticed a difference in grip on wet roads.

I would only buy winter tyres again if either a) I could not live without the car or b) if I could not get off my drive/estate. And its a lot cheaper to sweep the snow off the drive.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2018, 07:13 AM   #17
B6WAF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive Touring (2023)

Bridgestone for me

Quote:

Thanks

My first set of winters were Bridgestone Blizzaks and they were astonishingly good in snow - unbelievable. After 3 years I changed my car and bought Pirelli Sottozeros and they do not impress me as much. Traction in snow is reasonable but steering is somewhat inferior (subjective of course because there really are different kinds of snow - if it's dry and powdery then stop in bed).

I'm about to sell mine and buy some fresh ones and my preference is Bridgestone again. I need them to get the half mile from my house to the main road, so I have no option.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2758.00