F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Facebook - Stay or Go?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-18-2021, 09:21 AM   #111
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Fuck facebook, right in the ass....
Appreciate 8
mahalom3163.00
unluky7521.50
3.0L8935.00
detroitm22427.50
King Rudi13154.00
hubbahubba8807.50
      01-18-2021, 09:35 AM   #112
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Never joined the thing.
Appreciate 4
3.0L8935.00
vreihen1615217.00
      01-18-2021, 09:41 AM   #113
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
ouch
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2021, 09:44 AM   #114
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

When Facebook stops being useful to me, I'll disjoin.

Until then....

I've turned off ALL "push" notifications from all of my social media platforms, however.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 10:02 AM   #115
garyfried
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435ix

I call it F**kbook. I remain a member as a tool for keeping in communication with the grown up kids and for reuniting with lost friends after moves and retirement. As for information it is purely shit and if you post on most forums someone who would not have the balls to approach you in person spews their negativity at you even they have no knowledge of the type of person you may be. If I could opt out I would.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 10:20 AM   #116
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfried View Post
I call it F**kbook. I remain a member as a tool for keeping in communication with the grown up kids and for reuniting with lost friends after moves and retirement. As for information it is purely shit and if you post on most forums someone who would not have the balls to approach you in person spews their negativity at you even they have no knowledge of the type of person you may be. If I could opt out I would.
It's very easy to unfollow the people that irritate you. I still have tons of old high school "friends" (we haven't had contact in 30 years so not really), that "friend me", I see they mostly use if for a platform to give their political view, I unfollow them and life moves on. They think they have hundreds of "friends" but don't realize everyone has left the room and they are preaching to almost no one (one of the fundamental flaws of almost all non personal communication is you can't tell you are irritating/boring the other person). I technically have 200 "FB friends and family", but about 20 people I really give a Sh**t about. Similar ratio to most large weddings and parties I have been to.

I already posted but it works very well for clubs I am in and most of what I use it for, this and buying and selling bourbon, which is illegal but I don't care. None of the clubs would work well trying to use e-mail.
      01-18-2021, 10:27 AM   #117
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Facebook has a new version for dogs called, "FaceButt."

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 10:59 AM   #118
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I have an account but no friends. Deleted everyone 3 years ago. I couldn't take all the look at me, opinions, lack of fact checking before posting, vaguebooking, etc. I've kept my account only because I deal with a few business that use that as their webpage.

unluky I thought I was going to miss out on announcements like you talked about with someone passing. Once people I was close to and actually saw or spoke to in person saw I was off fb, they actually started texting me pictures or letting me know when an important event happened in their life. Prior to this, they expected me to see it on fb and find out that way.

I had quite a few "friends" but the majority of them I wouldn't hang out with or even share personal details of my life so why was I "friends" with them? I stopped posting because of this and people I work with on my page. If I want someone to know what I'm doing I will text them or tell them the next time I see them. I don't feel the need to broadcast it to 95% of the people I had as "friends" who really don't give a shit what I'm doing and vice versa.

Why are people deleting what's app and going to signal?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 11:10 AM   #119
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
What are you using instead of WhatsApp?
Signal. But only with Wifey and one colleague. I don't do much texting.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 11:16 AM   #120
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
I have an account but no friends. Deleted everyone 3 years ago. I couldn't take all the look at me, opinions, lack of fact checking before posting, vaguebooking, etc. I've kept my account only because I deal with a few business that use that as their webpage.

unluky I thought I was going to miss out on announcements like you talked about with someone passing. Once people I was close to and actually saw or spoke to in person saw I was off fb, they actually started texting me pictures or letting me know when an important event happened in their life. Prior to this, they expected me to see it on fb and find out that way.

I had quite a few "friends" but the majority of them I wouldn't hang out with or even share personal details of my life so why was I "friends" with them? I stopped posting because of this and people I work with on my page. If I want someone to know what I'm doing I will text them or tell them the next time I see them. I don't feel the need to broadcast it to 95% of the people I had as "friends" who really don't give a shit what I'm doing and vice versa.

I'll miss some of the posts from old friends, but not that much. And I hate that some companies use FB as their only tech support portal. If I'm paying for a product or service, I shouldn't have to join FB to get support.

WhatsApp is owned by FB and was going to start sharing a good chunk of your smart phone data with FB. They've backed off that now that so many folks jumped to Signal, but the damage is done.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3131.50
      01-18-2021, 11:17 AM   #121
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post

Agreed - I figure people will figure it out and let me know. Or not - I survived before FB (and for that matter, before texting, before cell phones, before non-party lines, before color TV, etc) so I'll just have to be ok with being on the tail end of events like that. I can live with that.

Whatsapp is making everyone agree to some new terms - which brought light to some old terms that slipped by some people where when you are on Whatsapp - you agree to allow Whatsapp share some of your info with Facebook. Apparently that happened a bit ago and people are just now seeing it with the new terms that are required - but whatever it started a big exodus of some people to leave Whatsapp and find a new messenger app. Seems like Telegram is the biggest winner so far, but for some reason Signal seems to be getting all the press.
      01-18-2021, 11:17 AM   #122
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Nice. I have signal installed, but I can't feasibly get all my regular contacts to make the switch, sadly... Still going to use it as much as I can though
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 11:22 AM   #123
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Nice. I have signal installed, but I can't feasibly get all my regular contacts to make the switch, sadly... Still going to use it as much as I can though
You'll be surprised - I have recently been seeing 4-5 people I know popping up on Signal each week as they get more press and people start checking them out. I figured it would be a short term jump - but it seems to be continuing and might actually be a bigger hit to Whatsapp than I originally expected.

Too many options out there for you to just assume anyone (besides kids) won't mind when you "tell them how it is". Netflix learned that the hard way back in the day too, but it ultimately didn't hurt them too much. Apparently LOL
      01-18-2021, 12:03 PM   #124
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

This is now the last site I'm on, couldn't take the stupid and deleted 2 weeks ago.

I do BOA, Amazon some, and here...thats it
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8807.50
      01-18-2021, 01:04 PM   #125
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
You'll be surprised - I have recently been seeing 4-5 people I know popping up on Signal each week as they get more press and people start checking them out. I figured it would be a short term jump - but it seems to be continuing and might actually be a bigger hit to Whatsapp than I originally expected.

Too many options out there for you to just assume anyone (besides kids) won't mind when you "tell them how it is". Netflix learned that the hard way back in the day too, but it ultimately didn't hurt them too much. Apparently LOL
Yeah, a few of my contacts are switching too, but really not many. In the UK we're protected under gdpr, so the changes in WhatsApp policy don't apply to us...I'm just taking it as a good opportunity to put some more distance between myself and fb.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 01:49 PM   #126
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I still have mine, but it has almost no information on it, and is set to private. There are only two professional pictures, and they are from 2014. I rarely post, have unfollowed everyone, and basically only use it for Marketplace.

I work in IT, and every hiring committee I've been on has "explored" candidates social media accounts. I don't agree with it, but I know lots of other companies do it as well. A lot of the stuff we find is quite interesting.

The only other thing I have is Snapchat, which is a way for me to basically send funny car related stuff to my close circle of friends. The one thing I hate more than Facesuck is Instagram. It's basically the definition of "hey look at me". It does kind of suck not having it for online dating because women will literally un-match if you don't have it, which is pretty ignorant on their part. I mean even if I did have it, the only posts would be car related. I'm not one to take a lot of selfies when I'm at the gym or when I'm traveling.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 01:58 PM   #127
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I still have mine, but it has almost no information on it, and is set to private. There are only two professional pictures, and they are from 2014. I rarely post, have unfollowed everyone, and basically only use it for Marketplace.

I work in IT, and every hiring committee I've been on has "explored" candidates social media accounts. I don't agree with it, but I know lots of other companies do it as well. A lot of the stuff we find is quite interesting.

The only other thing I have is Snapchat, which is a way for me to basically send funny car related stuff to my close circle of friends. The one thing I hate more than Facesuck is Instagram. It's basically the definition of "hey look at me". It does kind of suck not having it for online dating because women will literally un-match if you don't have it, which is pretty ignorant on their part. I mean even if I did have it, the only posts would be car related. I'm not one to take a lot of selfies when I'm at the gym or when I'm traveling.

"every hiring committee I've been on has "explored" candidates social media accounts." exactly - this kills me - how do you NOT know they are going to look at this stuff?

We had a girl that worked for a vendor of ours at an old job. We were hiring for the main HR spot in the office and she called to say she saw it and wanted to apply for it. I asked her to send over her resume. The email came from the email "SuperSexyButt@XXXXX.com". Needless to say I and the other department heads got a nice laugh out of that.....but she was NOT called for an interview.

How can someone be that dumb?
      01-18-2021, 02:32 PM   #128
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

A friend recently sent a pic of a CV he'd been sent - among the applicants interests was 'fingering sluts'. Apparently he'd sent the CV to a friend to be proof read, and the friend had made 'no changes'.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2021, 03:26 PM   #129
kb2wji
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 128 convertible 6MT

It's killing our ability as a civilization to communicate. The idea that everyone can keep track of what everyone else is doing at every moment of the day is just exhausting. The younger generation (hell i'm only 41) is experiencing "keeping up with the Jones' 24 hours / day now. Everything is fake. People judge themselves on the amount of likes their filtered fake ass pictures get. The whole idea makes me sick to my stomach. Other than family, there is nobody I care about enough to want to know what they're up to 24 hours / day. Also, the social justice warriors are fueled by the rapid spread of fake news, trumped up stories (no pun intended) and lies. Get rid of Facebook and all the other platforms that are getting rich off of our desperation to be recognized for crap that doesn't matter.

Wow. Now I feel like I just made a Facebook post. I need to take a technology break.
Appreciate 5
rebekahb3131.50
3.0L8935.00
kscarrol8906.00
      01-18-2021, 05:43 PM   #130
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
I can see the validity to this and wish I could get off FB. However I need a social media presence for my business and unfortunately FB is the most effective way for marketing these days. I don’t post much personal topics as aforementioned. FB has become a way for everyone to feel special and brag about their materialistic belongings. It even makes it way onto forums like this.
I agree with everything in your post, Doc. That said, after starting a another new business last month, I figured a way around I wanted to share with you. Hire somebody to do it for you. Facebook, Instasnit, whatever the platform may be. Find the right person and this is an awesome tool. I am still faceless, yet have the presence I need, give it a try!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 05:44 PM   #131
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Or there's that!
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2021, 07:09 PM   #132
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
I agree with everything in your post, Doc. That said, after starting a another new business last month, I figured a way around I wanted to share with you. Hire somebody to do it for you. Facebook, Instasnit, whatever the platform may be. Find the right person and this is an awesome tool. I am still faceless, yet have the presence I need, give it a try!
A few months ago I decided to sell all of my Facefuck stock and I stopped spending money advertising on Facefuck a few months ago. I’ve been using someone who does click funnels for me online and the results have been great.

I never did Twawter, Snapchump, Instashit, or any of those other social media platforms. I’m going to try and rid my life of Zuckerfucks Facefuck.
hubbahubba8807.50