F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Rear ended in parking lot (F32)
proTUNING Freaks

01-13-2021, 02:08 AM   #1
ViCosPhi
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Coupe F32

Exclamation Rear ended in parking lot (F32)

Got rear ended by a Ford truck backing up with a giant tow hitch attached to it in a parking lot. Wanted to share the damage and cost of repair for science.

Total cost of repair: $3500

Parts (Repl= replaced, R&I=Remove/Repair and install)

REAR BODY & FLOOR
Rpr Rear body panel-CENTER UPPER
R&I Rear body trim
R&I RT Trunk side trim w/o navigation-SET BACK
R&I LT Trunk side trim w/o navigation-SET BACK
R&I Floor cover
R&I Storage compart

TRUNK LID
Rpr Trunk lid-2 BODYLINES AND UNDERSIDE
R&I W'strip on body-SET BACK
Repl Opt OEM Nameplate "428i"
Repl Opt OEM Emblem
R&I License bracket
R&I Trunk lid trim

REAR LAMPS
R&I RT Tail lamp
R&I LT Tail lamp
R&I RT Backup lamp
R&I LT Backup lamp

REAR BUMPER
Repl Rear bumper
Repl Opt OEM Bumper cover 428i, 430i w/o trim lines w/o prk sensr
Repl Add for park sensor
Repl Opt OEM Park sensor holder kit
Repl Opt OEM Adhesive kit
Repl Opt OEM Molding strip gloss black
Repl Opt OEM Center support
Repl Opt OEM LT Molding strip retainer
Repl Opt OEM RT Molding strip retainer
Repl Opt OEM Impact
Repl Opt OEM Lower reinf
Repl CORROSION PROTECTION
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 05:29 AM   #2
SCS55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90,F30, F80

Darn, sorry for your damage. Sounds about right on the quote. I'm dealing with a front left fender/bumper hit and Gieco is estimating $4600.00. Hang in there, it's amazing what good body shops can do.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

dont forget to go after them for Diminished Valued.

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 1
tec1ra1.50
      01-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #4
ViCosPhi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS55 View Post
Darn, sorry for your damage. Sounds about right on the quote. I'm dealing with a front left fender/bumper hit and Gieco is estimating $4600.00. Hang in there, it's amazing what good body shops can do.
Thank you, sorry to hear about yours as well. I agree, good body shops is all one needs. I just got mine and they did a good job. Attaching picture below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_perspective View Post
dont forget to go after them for Diminished Valued.
Sadly, there were no cameras and the other person is concocting a story....I have let my insurance provider know. Their insurance provider was a jerk and said it sounds like a 50/50 fault to him if there were no witnesses or cameras.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:57 PM   #5
heifetz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

I'm an estimator for a body shop and I would never write that trunk for repair. Once the metal stretches to a certain point it loses its integrity. If you have the means, remove the lining and check the back side of the repair area for exposed metal that will corrode, and take a small magnet to the outside of the repair area. If the magnet will not stick you know they just filled it with body filler.
Appreciate 1
j2dad5389372.00
      01-13-2021, 03:03 PM   #6
ViCosPhi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
I'm an estimator for a body shop and I would never write that trunk for repair. Once the metal stretches to a certain point it loses its integrity. If you have the means, remove the lining and check the back side of the repair area for exposed metal that will corrode, and take a small magnet to the outside of the repair area. If the magnet will not stick you know they just filled it with body filler.
I wish you were the estimator for my car. I had also expressed concern on reusing that trunk lid due the damage being at the curving portion but both shops I took my car to said that they will not replace it and it is perfectly repairable. One of them was the authorized BMW collision center so I figured they would be correct in their assessment.

Didn't remove the liner yet to check underneath, but checked by sticking the magnet as you mentioned and it barely stuck where the dent was. Is using filler bad for these type of damages?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 03:23 PM   #7
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
I am surprised that is was actually worth to repair the trunk lid. It needed to be resprayed anyway. or not?
      01-13-2021, 03:59 PM   #8
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I would not accept that trunk lid being repaired either - in fact my insurance company (Nationwide) would never pay to repair a panel (unless it could be done by Dent Wizard)

I've been told numerous times by their adjusters that no shop wants to repair panels with filler & such anymore - they all want to simply replace the panel with new

At the very least you should demand that they replace with a used trunk in perfect condition - esp. since they are gonna have to paint the entire trunk anyway...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 05:01 PM   #9
heifetz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViCosPhi View Post
Quote:
I wish you were the estimator for my car. I had also expressed concern on reusing that trunk lid due the damage being at the curving portion but both shops I took my car to said that they will not replace it and it is perfectly repairable. One of them was the authorized BMW collision center so I figured they would be correct in their assessment.

Didn't remove the liner yet to check underneath, but checked by sticking the magnet as you mentioned and it barely stuck where the dent was. Is using filler bad for these type of damages?
Body filler should only be used as a light skim coat to smooth the metal prior to painting. A dent should never be filled with so much filler that a magnet will not stick. You'd be surprised how many certified shops actually perform incorrect repairs. That much filler will eventually fail and begin to crack. When you can definitely look at the back side of the repair area. If you had it done at a certified shop, you might also consider calling BMWNA and filling a complaint about improper repairs. BMW will get involved and possibly make the shop redo it.
      01-14-2021, 11:10 AM   #10
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Bummer! I hate a$$holes!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 03:53 PM   #11
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

I don't know jack about body repair, but it looks like you could replace the trunk and bumper cover yourself -- and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 11:44 AM   #12
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

ViCosPhi, thanks for sharing. Could not agree more with earlier comments. The trunk ought to be replaced.

This is a good time to consider a dual channel dash cam with a dedicated battery for parking mode, such as Cellink NEO. More than worth it to eliminate unhelpful 'he said, she said, they said' dialogs.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 01:36 PM   #13
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Sorry to know about this. Did the truck driver not see you back there? Some trucks around here are raised so high I would be surprised if they couldn't see a small car right behind them. Makes me want to install the Blackvue dual dash cam that I was thinking of selling, definitely need the battery pack to keep it running during parking.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 04:22 PM   #14
Chaos236
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne , 640 GC

Hang on to lots of pics for resale time, should but buyers minds at ease.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 10:02 PM   #15
ViCosPhi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWbimmer View Post
I am surprised that is was actually worth to repair the trunk lid. It needed to be resprayed anyway. or not?
Yeah, needed to be repainted, but they probably only painted it partially I think. I agree swapping would have been easier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I would not accept that trunk lid being repaired either - in fact my insurance company (Nationwide) would never pay to repair a panel (unless it could be done by Dent Wizard)

I've been told numerous times by their adjusters that no shop wants to repair panels with filler & such anymore - they all want to simply replace the panel with new

At the very least you should demand that they replace with a used trunk in perfect condition - esp. since they are gonna have to paint the entire trunk anyway...
Thanks, tried but no luck

Quote:
Body filler should only be used as a light skim coat to smooth the metal prior to painting. A dent should never be filled with so much filler that a magnet will not stick. You'd be surprised how many certified shops actually perform incorrect repairs. That much filler will eventually fail and begin to crack. When you can definitely look at the back side of the repair area. If you had it done at a certified shop, you might also consider calling BMWNA and filling a complaint about improper repairs. BMW will get involved and possibly make the shop redo it.
Thank you, that makes sense regarding the paint wear on large area that has filler. I reached out to them again and they assured it was "within limits" and per BMW policies as they are a certified BMW facility and that it comes with "lifetime warranty"... I will call BMW NA to see what they say about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
ViCosPhi, thanks for sharing. Could not agree more with earlier comments. The trunk ought to be replaced.

This is a good time to consider a dual channel dash cam with a dedicated battery for parking mode, such as Cellink NEO. More than worth it to eliminate unhelpful 'he said, she said, they said' dialogs.
Yeah always contemplated getting one, but in these COVID19 times, got my car broken into three times now(no window damage, pro job) so I am worried they'll just run with the Blackvue...catch22. Filed police report but they didn't seem to care much about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Sorry to know about this. Did the truck driver not see you back there? Some trucks around here are raised so high I would be surprised if they couldn't see a small car right behind them. Makes me want to install the Blackvue dual dash cam that I was thinking of selling, definitely need the battery pack to keep it running during parking.
Yeah that could be it. Also I was parked far from the crowded spaces, so lots of empty spaces around me and the guy probably thought there was no car behind him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos236 View Post
Hang on to lots of pics for resale time, should but buyers minds at ease.
Thanks. Got the pics and gonna put it all in the file with all service documents.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 07:58 PM   #16
ViCosPhi
Rep

UPDATE:

Geico folks have been phenomenal in handling this case and they pursued this long enough to get a 50/50 judgment which softened the blow for me as half the cost was reimbursed by other party's insurance.
Appreciate 2
      07-12-2021, 01:25 AM   #17
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
I'm sorry for you since I can't believe the truck driver could fabricate a story which makes you pay 50%?
      07-12-2021, 07:19 PM   #18
ViCosPhi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWbimmer View Post
I'm sorry for you since I can't believe the truck driver could fabricate a story which makes you pay 50%?
Thanks. Apparently in a rear end collision they consider it 50-50 fault unless you have video proof or a few witnesses
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 07:44 AM   #19
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Does this mean you weren't stationary in the parking lot? It happened on the road?