F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Android 12 HU discussion
Extreme Powerhouse

08-15-2023, 01:42 AM   #67
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouloveme View Post
darn! From your picture my unit is Fake. I was happy with the unit .working fine for me. What is the difference between the two? Fake and Real
Well, you didn't get what you paid for - so you've been scammed. Also you are very likely to not receive any support or future updates. You're pretty much on your own should something ever go wrong... considering these are cheap Chinese devices with loads of flaws, it's a question of when rather than if.

Don't get me wrong, when they work, they generally work and it doesn't matter what Android version they run as this is the least relevant bit. I would also argue that there was nothing wrong with Android 10 and all updates to 11 and 12 are superficial. It's just the fact that someone made profit by lying to you and run away afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 07:10 AM   #68
NM20
Rep
Drives: BMW F02

Also, on my unit Wi-fi doesn’t start automatically and connect to my iPhone personal hotspot. I turned off ‘link automatically’ (or whatever it is called) in the ZLink settings. However, how do I disable ZLink from starting until I select it?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 07:41 AM   #69
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM20 View Post
Also, on my unit Wi-fi doesn’t start automatically and connect to my iPhone personal hotspot. I turned off ‘link automatically’ (or whatever it is called) in the ZLink settings. However, how do I disable ZLink from starting until I select it?
Settings > Factory > PIN > Function > Zlink > disable.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 08:31 AM   #70
NM20
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
Settings > Factory > PIN > Function > Zlink > disable.
It already is?
Would there be another reason it doesn’t connect automatically? Sometimes the WiFi is off when I turn it on too.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 11:17 AM   #71
///mChris
Rep
Drives: 68 bmw 1600

If you aren't using zlink, what are you using? I've heard mention of autokit and headend reloaded. Where is the best place to get those apks?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 12:07 PM   #72
DRMCEO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Starting a new thread for Android 12 HU as a continuation of Android 10 and Android 11.
What to point out is that in the latest KSW firmware v1.4.4 (as of June 2023), split screen, and Torque Pro via Bluetooth are finally working!
Attachment 3208479
What version did you have before that? I assume you tried the torque on that version and it didn't work? If so the the bluetooth issue is software related and not hardware???
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 01:38 PM   #73
NM20
Rep

I just noted my screen does not have the HD symbol on the top right set of symbols. It is running Android 12 and every other symbol looks like the genuine version, I ran CPU-Z and it confirmed a Snapdragon 665 CPU and 8GB of RAM.

It is a 10.25” screen to replace OEM, the box says 1280 x 480, but I assumed that was the old BMW resolution. The screen looks sharp and YouTube videos will play at 720p. I am just perturbed by the missing symbol?

Edit: I ran CPU-Z and it confirmed a resolution of 1280 x 480, looks like I will be going back to my seller to have a conversation.

Last edited by NM20; 08-15-2023 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 02:46 PM   #74
clubplug
Frank
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
It already is?
Would there be another reason it doesn’t connect automatically? Sometimes the WiFi is off when I turn it on too.
I can confirm that I have the exact same problem and was never able to figure out why...

I have the Snapdragon 662 A12 NEXAI 1.4.4 ID8

Steps.
- I turn my Hotspot on my phone before I get to my car (from the house).
- Then get into the car and start car, Android head unit turns on, boot up.
- The Android wifi never connects to my Hotspot automatically.
- I need to go to Settings on Android Head Unit, go to Wifi and the wifi is off.
- I need to turn wifi on and then tap the wifi hotspot listed. Then it connects.

Never understood why the Wifi is off and it does not connect to my HotSpot automatically?

Is this normal?

Thanks
Frank

Last edited by clubplug; 08-15-2023 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 03:39 PM   #75
NM20
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubplug View Post
I can confirm that I have the exact same problem and was never able to figure out why...

Steps.
- I need to go to Settings on Android Head Unit, go to Wifi and the wifi is off.
- I need to turn wifi on and then tap the wifi hotspot listed. Then it connects.

Never understood why the Wifi is off and it does not connect to my HotSpot automatically?

Is this normal?

Thanks
Frank
Are you using an iPhone? To be fair to the unit, I find my hotspot is hit and miss with my laptop and other devices too.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 04:09 PM   #76
clubplug
Frank
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Are you using an iPhone? To be fair to the unit, I find my hotspot is hit and miss with my laptop and other devices too.
No I have an Android Phone.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 04:11 PM   #77
clubplug
Frank
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Steps.

Is this normal?

Thanks
Frank
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the issue/question here is why is the Wifi turned off, even though in the Wifi Advanced options I have "turn wifi on automatically"??
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 02:54 AM   #78
NM20
Rep

Quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the issue/question here is why is the Wifi turned off, even though in the Wifi Advanced options I have "turn wifi on automatically"??
I think that is the issue. Doesn’t that setting say something like ‘Turn on when a strong network is detected’ (or something to that effect?)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 01:47 PM   #79
JuanKa
Registered
Rep
Drives: MB C220

hello everyone, I have a KSW that I recently updated to Android 12, I bought it with android 11, so far I was working well the app Zlink5 5.3.49 but, since I updated to android 12 the connection fails a lot, I get the message of connecting to the phone and the phone says that it is connected, but then jumps on the phone as if it entered android auto, but back to start, it's like a loop that does not finish connecting, any idea what it could be?
Say that after restarting once I came to connect, but then nothing there is no way.

Ksw-S-M600_OS_v1.4.4NEXAI is my version now.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 01:34 AM   #80
Ace.
Rep
Drives: BMW E61 525i

Garage List
2004 BMW E61  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanKa View Post
hello everyone, I have a KSW that I recently updated to Android 12, I bought it with android 11, so far I was working well the app Zlink5 5.3.49 but, since I updated to android 12 the connection fails a lot, I get the message of connecting to the phone and the phone says that it is connected, but then jumps on the phone as if it entered android auto, but back to start, it's like a loop that does not finish connecting, any idea what it could be?
Say that after restarting once I came to connect, but then nothing there is no way.

I think you can reinstall the latest version of the zlik app once
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 08:57 AM   #81
clubplug
Frank
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Is your Head Unit Factory Setting, set to "OEM Bluetooth" or "Android Bluetooth"?

I have heard that setting to OEM Bluetooth is the better way, please someone correct me if I'm wrong... Also on a learning curve here.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2023, 09:07 AM   #82
JuanKa
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Is your Head Unit Factory Setting, set to "OEM Bluetooth" or "Android Bluetooth"?

I have heard that setting to OEM Bluetooth is the better way, please someone correct me if I'm wrong... Also on a learning curve here.
OEM bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 09:08 AM   #83
JuanKa
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace. View Post
I think you can reinstall the latest version of the zlik app once
I have reinstalled from the manufacturer's option that gives you the apps to reinstall
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 12:10 PM   #84
devioushaikuzero
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

What is the current hotness? Is there a "good" Android 12 NBT Unit?

I was thinking of Mr12Volt with stock 6.5" screen. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 12:17 PM   #85
Makabra
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320D 2013

Hi I have Ksw-S-M600_OS_v1.3.9NEXAI can I update to 1.5.4 or do I need to update to 1.4.4 first?
      08-17-2023, 12:28 PM   #86
NM20
Rep

Quote:
OEM bluetooth
I have also gone BMW OEM, I can still access CarPlay wired and wireless and it seems the sound quality on calls is better.

When using the Android Bluetooth via CarPlay callers said I sounded like I was underwater or kept cutting on and out. For the Android calling system the line was clear, but the caller was getting terrible echo.

The OEM approach seems the best way forward.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 04:48 PM   #87
e60avinuser
Rep
Drives: 2006 530xi

e60 user here because the forums there are also dead especially for this stuff. I recently bought an AVIN unit that is Android 12. Its listed as a "Kryo 260" unit, which I take to mean Snapdragon 662/665 but since its also listed as running at 2.0Ghz I also take that to mean its actually a Kryo 260 Gold.

For those interested here is a listing for that unit: https://avinusa.com/8-8-multimedia-n...1-e63-e64.html

Most of the issues here I've been able to work around. I'm specifically using the unit for Apple CarPlay but I also have music and stuff on a 128Gb flash drive that works great using the stock AVIN interface or even using my preferred media player. For whatever it is worth, AVIN has been great with technical support except for one issue: updating the thing. I'll get back to that.

NM20 I also had this issue with ZLINK taking over wifi. I managed to solve it but doing so disables Android Auto/CarPlay. So if that is a priority for you keep this in mind. I only did it to hook up to my hotspot so I could attempt to update the unit. Do as RedErik and go in to:

Settings > Factory > PIN > Function > Zlink

This time enable it. Scroll down to "BT" and enable that as well if it is disabled. Switch back to the home screen so it saves. This is important. If you don't go back to the home screen the settings will not save. Reboot the head unit however you have to do that. I had to turn the vehicle off and wait about 15 seconds. Turn the head unit back on. Go back into:

Disable it. Disable "BT". Go back to the home screen. Disable Bluetooth on your phone. Reboot the head unit. At this point in time, you can enable wifi and it should stay enabled. CarPlay/Android Auto will no longer work and ZLINK will not attempt to run without an active Bluetooth connection.

Unfortunately I could not get the unit to detect an MCU update this way. Attached are the specifications of my head unit. My question is simple: Will the included MCU updates on the first page work for my head unit?

Headunit info:
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 05:01 AM   #88
NM20
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60avinuser View Post
e60 user here because the forums there are also dead especially for this stuff. I recently bought an AVIN unit that is Android 12. Its listed as a "Kryo 260" unit, which I take to mean Snapdragon 662/665 but since its also listed as running at 2.0Ghz I also take that to mean its actually a Kryo 260 Gold.

For those interested here is a listing for that unit: https://avinusa.com/8-8-multimedia-n...1-e63-e64.html

Most of the issues here I've been able to work around. I'm specifically using the unit for Apple CarPlay but I also have music and stuff on a 128Gb flash drive that works great using the stock AVIN interface or even using my preferred media player. For whatever it is worth, AVIN has been great with technical support except for one issue: updating the thing. I'll get back to that.

NM20 I also had this issue with ZLINK taking over wifi. I managed to solve it but doing so disables Android Auto/CarPlay. So if that is a priority for you keep this in mind. I only did it to hook up to my hotspot so I could attempt to update the unit. Do as RedErik and go in to:

This time enable it. Scroll down to "BT" and enable that as well if it is disabled. Switch back to the home screen so it saves. This is important. If you don't go back to the home screen the settings will not save. Reboot the head unit however you have to do that. I had to turn the vehicle off and wait about 15 seconds. Turn the head unit back on. Go back into:

Disable it. Disable "BT". Go back to the home screen. Disable Bluetooth on your phone. Reboot the head unit. At this point in time, you can enable wifi and it should stay enabled. CarPlay/Android Auto will no longer work and ZLINK will not attempt to run without an active Bluetooth connection.

Unfortunately I could not get the unit to detect an MCU update this way. Attached are the specifications of my head unit. My question is simple: Will the included MCU updates on the first page work for my head unit?

Headunit info:
View post on imgur.com
That is massively helpful - thanks.

I am quite happy now to just use CarPlay and on the odd occasion pf wanting to watch some TV (if I am waiting for someone), I will turn on the wifi manually.

However, if I did the above and then turn on Bluetooth to access CarPlay, does it fully reset and I would have to go through the same again to make Wifi stay on. I would be happy if the car stayed on WiFi and then I could turn on CarPlay when I need it, I don’t have to boot straight into CarPlay.
Appreciate 0