F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Issue with heater only working fully on left side - right side barely warm
Extreme Powerhouse

08-01-2017, 01:06 AM   #1
Aaroona
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW

Question Issue with heater only working fully on left side - right side barely warm

I purchased the car second hand, but have a full service history.
It's a F30, 335i 2012 which I bought about 3 months ago. I've never really needed to use the heat until about 2 days ago.

The heater on the passenger side (left) works perfectly and blows hot - the drivers side barely gets warm (I have to turn it up to 28C to get the equivalent of about 20C on the passenger side).

I've checked my coolant and also tried bleeding it twice to make sure there were no air bubbles, but that hasn't seemed to make a difference (or barely any).

I'm wondering what next and hoping like hell it isn't the heater core ($$$ labour from what I hear), but I don't know much about the system to be able to make a call on that.

I am curious as to what to check next (and where!). My next thought was the heater flap actuator, but I don't know where its located on the F30. I can hear and feel the difference between 16C and 28C, so I assume the flap is at least partially working, but thought it might be worth checking..

any help or suggestions would be appreciated...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
loggin
Private
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroona View Post
It's a F30, 335i 2012 which I bought about 3 months ago. I've never really needed to use the heat until about 2 days ago.

The heater on the passenger side (left) works perfectly and blows hot - the drivers side barely gets warm (I have to turn it up to 28C to get the equivalent of about 20C on the passenger side).

I've checked my coolant and also tried bleeding it twice to make sure there were no air bubbles, but that hasn't seemed to make a difference (or barely any).

I'm wondering what next and hoping like hell it isn't the heater core ($$$ labour from what I hear), but I don't know much about the system to be able to make a call on that.

I am curious as to what to check next (and where!). My next thought was the heater flap actuator, but I don't know where its located on the F30. I can hear and feel the difference between 16C and 28C, so I assume the flap is at least partially working, but thought it might be worth checking..

If your model has the dual climate controls then it is likely the flap that controls the driver side temperature since everything is working fine on the passenger side.. You can check out realOEM.com for the layout of certain components..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #3
Aaroona
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loggin View Post
If your model has the dual climate controls then it is likely the flap that controls the driver side temperature since everything is working fine on the passenger side.. You can check out realOEM.com for the layout of certain components..
Thanks for the reply. Do you know part it would be? I do have the dual climate control/automatic air-con unit. last few digits of my vin are ******

Would it be the actuator in this diagram? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=64_1877 (number 1)

Where is this located specifically? is it easy enough to access as a DIY? I can't seem to find much, or people with the exact same problem.

Last edited by Aaroona; 01-04-2023 at 04:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #4
loggin
Private
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Do you know part it would be? I do have the dual climate control/automatic air-con unit. last few digits of my vin are F095758

Would it be the actuator in this diagram? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=64_1877 (number 1)

Where is this located specifically? is it easy enough to access as a DIY? I can't seem to find much, or people with the exact same problem.
Not sure if that is the right actuator since there are many in the hvac unit.. Your best bet will likely be to talk to someone at the parts counter at BMW to determine the right actuator and to see if you can order the part separately..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 02:33 AM   #5
AngelFarelli
Second Lieutenant
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: BMW n52 e90

Did you ever sort out your issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #6
Nircom
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 f30 335

I have the same issue. also a 2012 f30 335i . was wondering if anyone here resolved this problem. cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 01:52 PM   #7
Aaroona
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nircom View Post
I have the same issue. also a 2012 f30 335i . was wondering if anyone here resolved this problem. cheers
I haven't resolved it yet. I did get a heater core flush which did improve the situation a little. But it's still not right.
I kinda gave up on it, because replacing the heater core, which, assuming that's what it is, is a very expensive task.

My vehicle is about to tick over 100k km's which is about the point I move onto the next vehicle, so hadn't been a priority.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #8
Nircom
Private
No_Country
Rep

did you try to replace the actuator ? its only around $50.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #9
Aaroona
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
did you try to replace the actuator ? its only around $50.
I didn't, no. There's no reason to suspect the actuator as far as I can tell.
No errors in the ECU, actuators have been recalibrated, and you can hear (and see under the steering column) it physically moving.

The mechanic didn't seem to think it was the actuator either.

I'll check around to see if I can find one for $50- sadly this side of the planet, Euro parts are bloody expensive (New Zealand), both locally and overseas because of shipping.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 03:35 PM   #10
Nircom
Private
No_Country
Rep

I'll try to resolve this issue and will post it here if I manage to do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 03:40 PM   #11
Aaroona
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I'll try to resolve this issue and will post it here if I manage to do it.
Thanks! Very interested to hear if it does fix it for you.
Seems a few people have had the issue, but the only resolution I've seen so far to one of the threads was a heater core replacement. But they were lucky and it was done under their CPO warranty.

No luck for us though out of warranty 😬
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 08:23 AM   #12
dadecounty3051
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I'm going to see if I can get a better manual or wiring diagram. I think some of the flaps/blendoors are behind the radio.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 11:39 AM   #13
dadecounty3051
Rep

Quote:

I can almost guarantee that it's one of the flaps. I found some manuals from someone I know.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 11:42 AM   #14
dadecounty3051
Rep

Quote:

Here's the rest
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 07:59 AM   #15
Spoonzz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 335i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Anyone manage to find a fix for this? mines the same
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 01:58 AM   #16
Y20DTH
Rep
Drives: F20 116i 2014

Same here since a couple of years. Nobody has fixed it?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 08:04 AM   #17
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Many have fixed it. Do a search.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 01:03 PM   #18
BimmerBoy007
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport

I am having the same problem with my 2015 335i. I recently had the water pump replaced due to overheating. Never noticed if heat was fully working on passenger side due to it not being cold at the time but now i can tell it is not working at all. I will attempt to change the blend door actuator myself and if I can’t figure out will have mechanic change.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 04:13 PM   #19
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The blend door actuator is only one possible cause. Another is clogging of the heater core. That could be related to the water pump replacement, so you need to confirm that the actuator is at fault before replacing it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 09:16 AM   #20
BimmerBoy007
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
The blend door actuator is only one possible cause. Another is clogging of the heater core. That could be related to the water pump replacement, so you need to confirm that the actuator is at fault before replacing it.
I have heard of someone cleaning out their heater core vs replacing it. Is this possible or would the only way to fix would be a full replacement. Also would doing the bleed procedure possibly help if heater core is clogged.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 10:42 AM   #21
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If the symptoms pointed to a plugged core I'd flush it before replacing it, not only due to the cost but also the major PITA factor. I would think there are youtube videos on how to flush it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 10:22 PM   #22
swooshed
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
If the symptoms pointed to a plugged core I'd flush it before replacing it, not only due to the cost but also the major PITA factor. I would think there are youtube videos on how to flush it.
Going through the same exact issue on my F34. Open to diy flush the heater core but am not confident without a video or picture walkthrough. Do you happen to have one?
Appreciate 0