F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Putting EBC yellow stuff on. Pad grease questions
proTUNING Freaks

09-12-2019, 10:06 PM   #1
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Putting EBC yellow stuff on. Pad grease questions

Have 1st track day coming and I'm putting EBC yellow stuff on in next couple of days. I usually just grab the cheap, no brand grease for my previous cars pad swaps, but wanted to see if anyone had a preference. I only plan to track a couple days per year. Im probably overthinking, but I've been told to stay away from copper these days?

Local options:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ake+pad+grease CRC

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...k-4/12024852-p Sil-glyde

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ke+anti-squeal Permatex

Open to other options, but prefer something I can pick up local tomorrow. Any input appreciated!

Last edited by Brotherhef; 09-12-2019 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: edit for clairification
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 12:23 AM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
I don't really bother greasing my pads anymore. It won't hold up to the heat of the track.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 06:25 AM   #3
Kinglagos
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 G82

I use liqui moly anti squeal paste. It's rated for 1000C and it lasts ok for the the lifetime of the pads on trackdays.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 06:37 AM   #4
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I don't really bother greasing my pads anymore. It won't hold up to the heat of the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinglagos View Post
I use liqui moly anti squeal paste. It's rated for 1000C and it lasts ok for the the lifetime of the pads on trackdays.
Thanks for the reply guys. Have you tried the permatex extreme? It says 3000f. Even if it was off by 1000f, still should hold up I would think?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 07:11 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I was low on grease so I got Permatex Extreme. It works. The purple color makes it easy to see on my silver painted calipers. A year after using it I can still see it, so it doesn't melt or wash off. It's very inexpensive on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 07:19 AM   #6
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I was low on grease so I got Permatex Extreme. It works. The purple color makes it easy to see on my silver painted calipers. A year after using it I can still see it, so it doesn't melt or wash off. It's very inexpensive on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the reply. Have you tracked with that grease or just spirted driving around town?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #7
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I use a ceramic grease, and it holds up reasonably well.

However, a word of experience regarding EBC Yellows. They are, or at least they were when I tried them ~3 years ago, absolute rubbish. They faded badly with semi-fast road use, and melted (literally) on a track evening. After less than a lap the brake pedal was going long and I had to do cool down laps - ruined my session.

I highly recommend Pagid. I run RS4-2 for the fronts and RSL19 for the rears, and use these for road and track. Cold bite is good, they take the heat on track very well, and they're kind to rotors. Yes they dust, and they can squeal (re-greasing the backing plates and clearing out the rotor grooves helps a lot) but this doesn't detract from the performance benefits IMO.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
I use a ceramic grease, and it holds up reasonably well.

However, a word of experience regarding EBC Yellows. They are, or at least they were when I tried them ~3 years ago, absolute rubbish. They faded badly with semi-fast road use, and melted (literally) on a track evening. After less than a lap the brake pedal was going long and I had to do cool down laps - ruined my session.

I highly recommend Pagid. I run RS4-2 for the fronts and RSL19 for the rears, and use these for road and track. Cold bite is good, they take the hear on track very well, and they're kind to rotors. Yes they dust, and they can squeal (re-greasing the backing plates and clearing out the rotor grooves helps a lot) but this detract from the performance benefits IMO.
Thanks for the reply and info! Fingers crossed. First track day, so hopefully they will make it one day. I'll give pagid a try next round.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #9
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

I had the same on-track experience as Watsey with the Yellows albeit no problems on the street side of things. Wouldn't buy them again, that's for sure.

Definitely going to pick up some of the ceramic grease linked above.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #10
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
I had the same on-track experience as Watsey with the Yellows albeit no problems on the street side of things. Wouldn't buy them again, that's for sure.

Definitely going to pick up some of the ceramic grease linked above.
What pad did you end up liking for the track?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 03:11 AM   #11
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherhef View Post
https://ebcbrakes.com/ebc-brake-pad-selector-tool/

RedStuff and YellowStuff are for heavy street use (good cold brake, very good warm brake behavior on street/highway, good wet brake)
They are not meant for track days of n-laps.

People should not blame it on the pads, if they are not able understand what the product they choose is made for!

Because of its huge heat range, the applications where EBC Yellowstuff will deliver benefits range from fastest street use on higher horsepower cars and race use on most street based cars and even as a brake upgrade on Trucks and SUV. Yellowstuff is especially appreciated on Trucks for towing and heavy loads and where wheel and tire oversize upgrades have been fitted. In longer races EBC Bluestuff NDX or the new EBC Orangestuff grades should be considered

The temperatures reached between the pad and the rotor in normal daily driving is around 350 to 450 C. In track day use temperatures can shoot up to 700-800C and in full race use even higher. This requires two totally different approaches to what is the best brake pad for your needs.

There are many good articles to read and then choose the right product for street or track.
https://ebcbrakes.com/ebc-technical-...-ec0fb519-6317

From top: RedStuff/YellowStuff/BlueStuff/OrangeStuff

OrangeStuff comment:

The lower curve on Lapsim 2 is the toughest test we can really do on a dyno, simulates massive brake energy and discs glowing bright orange through the brake cycle, highly doubtful any driver would race to these temps but the pads still held on to a very decent level of friction. Important to note that on this second test the cooling was halved, simulating a poorly vented brake system that can occur on street based cars without improved ducting.

The disc temps shot up to over 1000C here at the end of the stops and the friction dropped but there was still a decent brake effect as shown below. This is an unusual test to do and not realistic but this was a test to the very limits and Orangestuff survived. We also doubt if any manufacturer would ever A) Run or B) Dare to publish such results but there you go.

Source: https://ebcbrakes.com/product/orange-stuff/
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.

Last edited by oceanview; 09-14-2019 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 2
      09-14-2019, 05:28 AM   #12
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

As I said, Yellows fade badly with fast road use as well.

Crap pads. End of.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 08:12 AM   #13
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanview View Post
Quote:
https://ebcbrakes.com/ebc-brake-pad-selector-tool/

RedStuff and YellowStuff are for heavy street use (good cold brake, very good warm brake behavior on street/highway, good wet brake)
They are not meant for track days of n-laps.

People should not blame it on the pads, if they are not able understand what the product they choose is made for!
First, thanks for the long reply. I now realize I should have added a little more info to my question. I was in search of a pad I could drive to and from the track and also be ok driving around town the week following track day. I wasn't looking to change pads at the track on my first track day. When I bought the yellow, I was looking at a "light duty track pad" for my 1st event. I wasn't looking to spend $650 for rsl29 or wanting to buy a pad only use for track at this time. (Will defiantly buy if I get the bug and want to go more than twice a year.) I had looked at power stop sports, yellowstuff, and hawk 5.0. Based off a couple recommendations, I went EBC.

Added: new to this. Still learning. Have read tons and an overwhelming amount of options. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 08:34 AM   #14
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

I use the purple ceramic stuff. I also use STOPTECH sport at the track and they are wonderful once you get a bit of heat into them. Never had fade.

Last edited by zinner; 09-15-2019 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #15
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I use the purple ceramic stuff. I also use powerstop sport at the track and they are wonderful once you get a bit of heat into them. Never had fade.
Almost went with those. May try those next.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 05:03 AM   #16
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:

Crap pads. End of.
Are you sure the pads fade? Couldn't it also be the brake fluid that starts boiling because the YellowStuff create more heat than the pads you use now?
I mean, how can you tell without measuring rotor temps? Just wondering.

It would be interesting to see a professional test/comparison of different pads and to see, what the reason is, when fading occurs (and what temperature the different pads/rotor have when they start to fade).
i.e. do a bunch of 100-0 stop. measure the braking distance and rotor surface temp after each stop until fading occurs.

I have the YellowStuff on (all around) no problems/fading so far. But haven't been tracking yet.
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 11:21 AM   #17
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Crap pads. End of.
Are you sure the pads fade? Couldn't it also be the brake fluid that starts boiling because the YellowStuff create more heat than the pads you use now?

It would be interesting to see a professional test/comparison of different pads and to see, what the reason is, when fading occurs (and what temperature the different pads/rotor have when they start to fade).
i.e. do a bunch of 100-0 stop. measure the braking distance and rotor surface temp after each stop until fading occurs.

I have the YellowStuff on (all around) no problems/fading so far. But haven't been tracking yet.
It's definitely not fluid related.

I've had Yellows fade badly after just two long/hard retardations on the road. Let's just say it was 'spirited' driving on country roads that I've driven for the past 30+ years and I know where I can push when I'm trying to make the 180 mile journey in good time. Night driving and the light traffic helps progress

On track they melted. When I took the pads out the next day the pad compound had disintegrated and had formed gloopy deposits around the remaining pad material. When I bled the fluid (to check its condition) there weren't any bubbles.

I accept that 335D front brakes are not comparable to the Stoptech Trophy setup that I now run (fluid is the same : ATE DOT4), but the Pagids have been superb. They're in a completely different league.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #18
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Crap pads. End of.

It's definitely not fluid related.

I've had Yellows fade badly after just two long/hard retardations on the road. Let's just say it was 'spirited' driving on country roads that I've driven for the past 30+ years and I know where I can push when I'm trying to make the 180 mile journey in good time. Night driving and the light traffic helps progress

On track they melted. When I took the pads out the next day the pad compound had disintegrated and had formed gloopy deposits around the remaining pad material. When I bled the fluid (to check its condition) there weren't any bubbles.

I accept that 335D front brakes are not comparable to the Stoptech Trophy setup that I now run (fluid is the same : ATE DOT4), but the Pagids have been superb. They're in a completely different league.
Can you tell me what year you tried yellowstuff? I heard they changed the compound a couple years back?

If I end up getting addicted I'll defiantly bite the bullet and try some pagid or I've also read PFC08.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #19
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I ran yellow stuff on my GTI for multiple years in a row, and they actually survived some pretty significant track runs and never faded on me. My issues were always fluid.

I just put yellow stuff on my 335i when I upgraded to the 370/345 calipers and god damn are they strong. Went for a spirited run on some back roads a few weeks ago and once they get warmed up they just get better, didn't have any fading issues.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #20
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
If I end up getting addicted I'll defiantly bite the bullet and try some pagid or I've also read PFC08.
I like the PFC08s more than the RSL29s. They're a bit harder to modulate (pedal becomes touchier), but the bite and pedal effort to get more braking force is much better.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #21
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335ixdrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
I ran yellow stuff on my GTI for multiple years in a row, and they actually survived some pretty significant track runs and never faded on me. My issues were always fluid.

I just put yellow stuff on my 335i when I upgraded to the 370/345 calipers and god damn are they strong. Went for a spirited run on some back roads a few weeks ago and once they get warmed up they just get better, didn't have any fading issues.
Any noise when warm or cold? How's the initial bite compared to oem?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #22
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I would say the initial bite is identical or maybe a little less than oem, but they ramp up very well. Feels very controllable. I get very occasional squeals when warming up. I'm very picky about car sounds and these don't bother me.
Appreciate 1