F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Need help with vibration!!
GetBMWParts

09-20-2019, 09:41 AM   #1
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Black 330i xDrive

Garage List
Need help with vibration!!

So a few months ago I noticed a shaking at 70+ so I took it to the bmw dealership and they inspected the wheels and found out that all four wheels were bent from the previous owner most likely.

I was wanting new wheels anyway, so I ordered new wheels and tires and the shaking persisted and after about 10+ rebalances with road force, the steering wheel shaking seems to be gone.

However, now I'm stuck with this still awful vibration starting around 45 and gets worst with increased speeds. If I look over at the passenger seat, you see how bad it is shaking and my watch vibrates from holding the steering wheel.

What else could this be? Bearings possibly?

Note: the new wheels were converted to a staggered setup and I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
Attached Images

09-20-2019, 10:30 PM   #2
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Figueroa View Post
So a few months ago I noticed a shaking at 70+ so I took it to the bmw dealership and they inspected the wheels and found out that all four wheels were bent from the previous owner most likely.

I was wanting new wheels anyway, so I ordered new wheels and tires and the shaking persisted and after about 10+ rebalances with road force, the steering wheel shaking seems to be gone.

However, now I'm stuck with this still awful vibration starting around 45 and gets worst with increased speeds. If I look over at the passenger seat, you see how bad it is shaking and my watch vibrates from holding the steering wheel.

What else could this be? Bearings possibly?

Note: the new wheels were converted to a staggered setup and I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
Bump!
      09-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Were the vibration symptoms present before 10+ rebalance efforts (perhaps masked by shaking symptoms as reported)? Or - vibration symptoms are brand new?

What does it mean "converted to staggered setup"? Square wheels with staggered tires?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Were the vibration symptoms present before 10+ rebalance efforts (perhaps masked by shaking symptoms as reported)? Or - vibration symptoms are brand new?

What does it mean "converted to staggered setup"? Square wheels with staggered tires?
Yes its possible that the balancing problem masked the vibration. I have a square wheel and staggered tire setup