F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 330d timing chain noise
ARMA SPEED

03-15-2020, 04:56 AM   #1
Smiler123
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D M Sport

F30 330d timing chain noise

Hi

I’ve got a 330d with 50k miles on it which I’ve just purchased. I bought the car car privately. I spent a long time going over the vehicle and checked all codes using Carly and everything appeared good. There were no knocks or noises from cold and it drove as well as others I’ve also test driven.

I drove the car 150 miles home yesterday and when coming off the motorway and then pulling away at low revs I noticed a noise. It’s only when going on and off the throttle at low revs and not when the engine is under load or above 2k revs. It sounds mechanical almost like a tappity noise but quicker.

It may just be me noticing the noise of a new car and its nothing which it should be as the car is only at 50k. I’ve moved from an e90 335d which I took to 200k miles and that had no chain noise at all, but did have noisy injectors towards the end.

Looking at YouTube videos of timing chain noise on the N57 there seems to be very few videos. Has anyone else had any similar issues or can shed any light on what the noise could be.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 05:16 AM   #2
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

My 30d has done around 95K miles and I discussed timing chain lifespan with a well respected BMW Indy a few weeks ago. He told me specifically what to listen for while we had the engine running and the bonnet was up.

Timing chain noise is hard to describe, but here goes. BTW, the timing chain on these units is on the rear of the engine.

'Healthy chain : continuous 'ssshhh'; fairly light and high-pitches metallic noise.

Worn/stretched chain : pulsing 'sshh' 'sshh' due to slack chain being pulled over the tensioner guide in waves.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 06:45 AM   #3
Smiler123
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
My 30d has done around 95K miles and I discussed timing chain lifespan with a well respected BMW Indy a few weeks ago. He told me specifically what to listen for while we had the engine running and the bonnet was up.

Timing chain noise is hard to describe, but here goes. BTW, the timing chain on these units is on the rear of the engine.

'Healthy chain : continuous 'ssshhh'; fairly light and high-pitches metallic noise.

Worn/stretched chain : pulsing 'sshh' 'sshh' due to slack chain being pulled over the tensioner guide in waves.
Thanks for the reply. The noise is as you describe the healthy chain noise. It’s continual with no waves but goes when under load. It’s hopefully nothing to worry about, but if I notice any changes I’ll get my independent to have a look at it.

Can you hear yours from the cabin when driving, or only when the bonnet is lifted out of interest?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 05:31 AM   #4
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiler123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

Thanks for the reply. The noise is as you describe the healthy chain noise. It’s continual with no waves but goes when under load. It’s hopefully nothing to worry about, but if I notice any changes I’ll get my independent to have a look at it.

Can you hear yours from the cabin when driving, or only when the bonnet is lifted out of interest?

Cheers
I can only hear it when I'm outside the car.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 05:28 PM   #5
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

N57 chain problem is a rare event.

The only issue n57 experience and can bring the associated knock is the injector knock, ( not a fault tho) could be old fuel filter and the most common one is the carbon deposit build up which hugely contributes to engine knock in N57 engines. ( egr, blocked swirlflaps, etc)
Appreciate 0