F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > What F3x components failed after the warranty expired: please post your updates here
ARMA SPEED

04-30-2020, 06:09 PM   #23
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelTiii View Post
No faults stored. I bought the vehicle as CPO last year and I had been trying every dealership around. Engine gets up to operating temperature and it starts whining noticeable past 2k rpms and intensifies along with revving. Sometimes crowds out the turbo noise.
Sheesh, crowding out the turbo noise. I would lose my mind with a whine that loud.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 10:09 PM   #24
KeelTiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr3 View Post
Quote:
No faults stored. I bought the vehicle as CPO last year and I had been trying every dealership around. Engine gets up to operating temperature and it starts whining noticeable past 2k rpms and intensifies along with revving. Sometimes crowds out the turbo noise.
Sheesh, crowding out the turbo noise. I would lose my mind with a whine that loud.
I hope that the new transmission will fix the issue. I tried everything I could because what I was hearing could not be normal.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:10 PM   #25
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
I hope that the new transmission will fix the issue. I tried everything I could because what I was hearing could not be normal.
Just curious, what dealer took care of it. I'm from socal too
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2020, 11:33 AM   #26
KeelTiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr3 View Post
Quote:
Just curious, what dealer took care of it. I'm from socal too
Sterling in Newport Beach.
Appreciate 1
davidr3447.50
      05-07-2020, 09:15 PM   #27
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

2014 328d with now 76k, just had the Diesel Particulate Sensor pop a code on me. Covered under extended warranty letter I got for the sensor
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 03:50 AM   #28
Finny
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 540i xDrive

Hi All!
2014 435i, details in signature.

Thrust arm bushing @ 80000km
Coil pack @ 90000km (Only 1 went but replaced all as recommended)
Accessory drive Belt, tensioner, pulley @ 103000km (didn’t fail but had jiggle, lots of play in the old pulley)
Steering Rack knock. Not 100% sure when it went but I’m desperately waiting for the repair kit to come from the US.
      05-15-2020, 08:27 AM   #29
AAG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i

2016 F31 340i, 50k miles

- Currently dealing with no air into the cabin - blower failure, a/c shutdown? No idea.
Will update once it's figured out.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:12 PM   #30
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
2014 328i w/ 92k miles.

- coolant thermostat (under warranty)
I forgot, mine failed as well somewhere in the 50k range.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 09:36 PM   #31
shadowgarou
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 330e

2017 F30 330e
Fuel Door release button failed at 42.5k (could not open fuel door)
Aux Battery failed at 43k
Starter failed at 43k (lost e-drive completely)
Tank Pressure Sensor failed at 46k (video from the dealer showed the wires got really hot... inside the gas tank)

All repaired under warranty. I bought the car at 42k...
There were other warranty repairs made to the engine before I bought the car that were not disclosed when I bought it.
Currently going to be contacting BMW of North America to see what they have to say about this vehicle...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 07:55 AM   #32
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Quote:
Transmission getting replaced at 49k miles. Whining issue.
Thanks for sharing. My vehicle is 2017 440i GC with 28K miles. Can you provide a few more details? Did the whining sound came about suddenly or over time increasing in volume? Any stored fault codes?
Same here if I idle for more than an hour it will start to do that but goes away if I turn it off and then it back on. Some smoke will come out the tail pipe and dissipate. Someone said they had the turbo replaced because they discovered oil leaking in it. Haven't been able to get them to replicate the problem. They did replace my water pump because it was leaking slightly and damaged the alternator in the process so I got a new one of that too. Also noticed that if I do some hard pulls it makes a whining sound in the turbo so I have to let it cool by shifting to higher gears and not pushing it as much.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 02:32 PM   #33
KeelTiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for sharing. My vehicle is 2017 440i GC with 28K miles. Can you provide a few more details? Did the whining sound came about suddenly or over time increasing in volume? Any stored fault codes?
Same here if I idle for more than an hour it will start to do that but goes away if I turn it off and then it back on. Some smoke will come out the tail pipe and dissipate. Someone said they had the turbo replaced because they discovered oil leaking in it. Haven't been able to get them to replicate the problem. They did replace my water pump because it was leaking slightly and damaged the alternator in the process so I got a new one of that too. Also noticed that if I do some hard pulls it makes a whining sound in the turbo so I have to let it cool by shifting to higher gears and not pushing it as much.
Restarting the engine did not make any difference for me. They changed my drive belt tensioner because of rattling. Turbo leak has a service bulletin if you are concerned about that.

BMW is buying the car back even though the new transmission resolved the issue. I wanted it this way because it cost me a lot of time just to get it diagnosed and all my service experiences were awful. I still love the brand but I don't allow any company to treat me like that. I don't know what I will be getting next though. Too proud and walking everywhere 😬
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 03:39 PM   #34
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Restarting the engine did not make any difference for me. They changed my drive belt tensioner because of rattling. Turbo leak has a service bulletin if you are concerned about that.

BMW is buying the car back even though the new transmission resolved the issue. I wanted it this way because it cost me a lot of time just to get it diagnosed and all my service experiences were awful. I still love the brand but I don't allow any company to treat me like that. I don't know what I will be getting next though. Too proud and walking everywhere 😬
I have the car serviced at the dealer as I have prepaid maintenance and entering the vin on the website doesn't show any recalls but I haven't checked more recently.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 05:43 PM   #35
KeelTiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have the car serviced at the dealer as I have prepaid maintenance and entering the vin on the website doesn't show any recalls but I haven't checked more recently.
Try to find them online. I had a website for that but I need to get home first and I'll update this post.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 06:34 PM   #36
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Try to find them online. I had a website for that but I need to get home first and I'll update this post.
You can get to it from the connected app

Just checked and it says no recalls.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 06:46 PM   #37
KeelTiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's not what I'm trying to say. There are maybe a hundred TSBs for any car out there. Technicians at the dealerships have access to them but you can also find them online. Looks something like this. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 06:48 PM   #38
helix247
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 328i

Oil Pan Gasket is one that would be ideal to get replaced in warranty depending on the year of the vehicle. Very expensive labor wise to service depending on where you go. Not really a major failure but the small pin between the exhaust flap and the actuator seems to be able to grow legs and disappear. Just replaced mine. Tail light housing and/or wire can fail or short. Straight forward DIY to repair either.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 07:40 PM   #39
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by helix247 View Post
Oil Pan Gasket is one that would be ideal to get replaced in warranty depending on the year of the vehicle. Very expensive labor wise to service depending on where you go. Not really a major failure but the small pin between the exhaust flap and the actuator seems to be able to grow legs and disappear. Just replaced mine. Tail light housing and/or wire can fail or short. Straight forward DIY to repair either.
How many miles does your vehicle have? Did you notice a leak under the oil pan?

Oil pan gasket ... haven't heard about this part failing within warranty period. Thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 11:41 PM   #40
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's not what I'm trying to say. There are maybe a hundred TSBs for any car out there. Technicians at the dealerships have access to them but you can also find them online. Looks something like this. [IMG][/IMG]
Thanks I'll show them this. Looks like it's coming from nhtsa so it's a safety recall not sure why it wouldn't show up or have some kind of notice in their system.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #41
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

2014 328d
Fuel injectors (2 out of 4) at 110K
NOx sensors (both) at 122K
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 12:42 PM   #42
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

my coolant return line snapped, and happened to a lot of other people here too. the 1/8" line that runs from the fill tank becomes brittle at the connecting points and will just snap on it's own over time. it's good to replace or could leave you leaking coolant and possibly overheating.
      06-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #43
KeelTiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Again at the dealership now. Had the car towed in yesterday for a possible valve cover or a head gasket failure. 52k miles. Vehicle was idling for about 20 minutes and A/C was on the whole time. Sudden loud noise from the engine and the white smoke out of the exhaust afterwards.

BMW is sending me a check for buyback anyway but man I have not had a single week without worrying about the car. Now they are going to want to charge me if it is not covered under CPO warranty and I am going to have to deal with BMW NA to get it sorted out.
Appreciate 0