F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > [Loving Any Help] 430D & DTUK Tuning box - Quirky Acceleration & sudden power
Extreme Powerhouse

09-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #1
jaddie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue M4 Comp

Question [Loving Any Help] 430D & DTUK Tuning box - Quirky Acceleration & sudden power

Hey everyone,

Was just wondering if I could get any input from people about this behaviour and see what anyone thought it might be a symptom of or similar...

I was running a DTUK box without issues,tried all maps and they seem to have reasonable improvements although hard to tell too well the difference at times.

However on map 0 with it set to +3 or +2 the performance is really there and more like what I'd have expected for the cost, however it comes with a strange disadvantage whereby I got through a whole 25 mile journey without problems, but on the return of that once or twice the car seemed to not be very enthusiastic about accelerating and slowly got up the revs and was making all the noise but not actually getting anywhere, but then it suddenly started acting okay after getting going again.

Then at a later point I noticed the same behaviour I had seen before where the car is accelerating through the rev range and changing gear, but I'm hardly moving anywhere! Also whilst it is doing this I did notice that the engine sounds quite... metallic - I explained this to friends as if it sounds like the engine is running and lacking fluids which would muffle it etc.

Anyway, I decided to start doing the gears myself after this and kept the revs up a bit higher for a short period of time, then went back to automatic mode & all the pulling was there and everything was fine which confused me as if its just having trouble at certain points or slow speeds?

But the part I found most interesting at a later point in the journey when I was on my own and decided to go ahead and test out the reaction of the car to any kind of acceleration was that it did the same sort of thing slowly going up the revs, and I was getting hardly any progress moving forward and I was thinking "oh sod this then I'll have to give up and drive like a granny, screw this" -- At the point of the end of that thought and trying putting my foot the whole way down (not kickdown) -- the car continued to climb the revs at the same slow speed half arsedly sounding metallic, when it hit about the midrange 3k revs and suddenly seemed to explode with power and sent me hurtling forwards with such a kick I was pinned to my seat...

Apologies for the short novel I have written but I wanted to make sure to get everything written down and not miss anything which might be important out.

The only other info I can think that should be mentioned is a little while back before the events mentioned above - on the way home on a different map I got the tell-tale drivetrain warning, so I intended to pull over and wait and change down the power etc, while trying to accelerate back up to speed obviously I was getting no power from the engine it had sounded metallic and I ended up getting a check engine light come on... obviously I shat myself at this point but the car was fine after I restarted it after changing maps, so I cleared the codes and have not seen anything since.

I know I've written a book and any information or tips or anything that anyone at all might have for me or any other questions or things I might be able to look into this and test / try out etc would be most welcome and accepted with a grateful attitude!

I'd quite like to figure this problem out in case there is something defective with the car or a part is going to fail soon so I can go armed with that information and just tell my dealership and get it sorted without issue but I'd like to go armed with information rather than bother them and have them poking around after this and waste their time by arriving saying "Derp.. its brookkeddd" haha :P

Jaddie

Current: F82 M4 Comp '19
Previous: F36 440i M Sport '18
Previous: F32 430d xDrive M Sport '15
Previous: F30 320d M Sport '14 & E81 118d M Sport '09
Appreciate 0