F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > xHP Flash recent reviews anyone?
ARMA SPEED

06-03-2020, 01:37 PM   #1
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

xHP Flash recent reviews anyone?

I was initially very excited about this trans flash but once released there were some very mixed reviews.
Seems like it makes more for an improvement with the 6spd than the 8spd transmission.
Can some 8spd folks give me their impressions? I am thinking about it for the torque limiter problem alone but I occasionally track the car and hope that I would find it to be an improvement for the track. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 01:44 PM   #2
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Hi there
I have written about my experience with both the 6 speed and the 8 speed in another thread.
Seek and you shall find.
But you are right....most difference before and after was on the 6 speed.
It's like the 8 speed just gets a bit more refined with the tune.
A while ago the shop did a complete software update on my car and overwrote xHP and the trans was back to OEM. It took me a few days to flash it again and I noticed the difference before and after again.
I can only recommend to use it.
Btw I run stage 2 as it is my dd

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I too, run stage 2 as a daily. There are no downsides besides the cost. It also gives you a lot of control you won't get as stock or with the BM3 tune.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

I use stage 3 and am also daily driving with no issues at all.

I would highly recommend it if you have the means to purchase.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #5
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Stage 2 daily driver. Noticeable improvement in all driving modes. Transmission seems sharper and more refined. Would highly recommend.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 02:15 PM   #6
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Just saw this post
Please allow me to place my question also here.

Having the AA stage 1 flash for about 2 years, I just additionally flashed the 8HP with xHP Stage 2 a few days ago.

Even when xHP config is set to use 2nd gear from a standstill in Comfort/Sport mode, the car seems to always drive off in 1st gear.
(Dashboard also displays 1st gear (D1) when in standstill. )

So I flashed xHP back to "stock" just keeping the gear info the dashboard.
Even then, D1 is shown in standstill Comfort mode.

So now I am confused and wondering, if AA tune has an impact on that?!
I didn't pay any attention to that before the xHP flash.
Does your 8HP drive off in 2nd gear in Comfort/ Sport mode, when flashed in xHP?

Thanks
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton View Post
I was initially very excited about this trans flash but once released there were some very mixed reviews.
Seems like it makes more for an improvement with the 6spd than the 8spd transmission.
Can some 8spd folks give me their impressions? I am thinking about it for the torque limiter problem alone but I occasionally track the car and hope that I would find it to be an improvement for the track. Thanks!
I echo everything above. I actually did XHP last, after FBO and doing stage 1, 2, and 2+ with MHD. As everyone says, i should have just done it sooner. I daily stage 3 XHP with stage 2+ E20 MHD tune. Car runs mint. No drawbacks to anything, just improvements.

If you are tracking, you can try out the new stage 4 for 8AT, which is stage 3 with aggressive shift maps designed specifically to keep the car in auto on the track.

Last edited by thejeremyman9; 06-05-2020 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 04:13 PM   #8
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
If you are tracking, you can try out the new stage 4 for 8AT, which is stage 8 with aggressive shift maps designed specifically to keep the car in auto on the track.
Is the stage 4 included in the map pack? On the xHP website it just says stage 1,2,3. Could be old info?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 04:16 PM   #9
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep

I see some running stage 2, and some stage 3 in their DD.
Aren't these two essentially the same in Comfort? What's the reason some prefer 2 over 3 for a DD?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 04:35 PM   #10
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Is the stage 4 included in the map pack? On the xHP website it just says stage 1,2,3. Could be old info?
Yes, it is included. As far as i know there is nothing else you purchase with the revised price structure - just the flasher and then the map pack. That's the entire software suite to my knowledge.

Info on website is old. I thought manual is updated but not entirely sure. I am 100% sure there is stage 4 though, i just flashed last month and saw it as an option.

As far as stage 2 vs. 3, the wording XHP used to have on their website (which i believe has since been changed) made it sound like stage 3 was a bit more aggressive in terms of shift "feel", although they emphasized this was totally safe and was no indication of increased wear or anything like that. I debated doing stage 2 for fear that stage 3 would be too much for DDing, but stage 3 is fine and i didnt really find it too aggressive at all. I honestly noticed very little change in D/comfort mode at all (maybe a little smoother and faster, gear indicator added, etc), but a significant difference in S/sport+ (shifter to the left, sport + driving mode). Thats where you can really tell the difference with stage 3, whether in auto or manual (again, with shifter to the left).

My recommendation is jump in with both feet and go straight to stage 3 - that will allow you to experience the most dramatic change vs. stock and IMO makes it feel worth the money the most. If for some reason its too much, dial back to stage 2 or 1.

Finally, i did not get the popup when i flashed, but they used to recommend driving around for 50 miles after flashing before really getting on it (you will see in DIY videos if you watch them). Lots of city driving, shifting, coasting, etc, to let the trans adapt. May not be 100% required but i did it.
Appreciate 2
      06-03-2020, 04:56 PM   #11
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep

Excellent info! Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #12
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I flashed stage 3 a few weeks ago. Zero regrets. Refined the behavior, sped up manual shift response, D in comfort is actually usable now, shifts in sport+/dsc off are faster when your leaning into it. Upshift blips are faster. Stage 4 is for track duty where you want S auto mode to go to redline before shifting in every gear. You want stage 3. I also selected option start in 2nd but it doesn't want to do it. I would want to make sure I flashed it with the option correctly before saying it doesn't work, though I selected show gear # in auto mode at the same time and that worked fine. Highly recommend, the stage 3 really polished off the 8hp and makes it the best it can possibly be, plus shift point editor etc if you want that functionality
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2020, 09:50 AM   #13
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandri View Post
I also selected option start in 2nd but it doesn't want to do it. I would want to make sure I flashed it with the option correctly before saying it doesn't work, though I selected show gear # in auto mode at the same time and that worked fine.
Same with mine. However I'm still in research if my AA tune could be the cause. Will update once I know.

I also need to investigate more, the behavior of shifting gears down with the paddles when in "comfort" and D.
Sometimes the car stays in the manually selected gear unless moving the shifter to the left (S) and back to normal (D). (It wont go back to D after a few seconds)
Sometimes it moves automatically back to D just as with stock flash
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #14
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanview View Post
Same with mine. However I'm still in research if my AA tune could be the cause. Will update once I know.

I also need to investigate more, the behavior of shifting gears down with the paddles when in "comfort" and D.
Sometimes the car stays in the manually selected gear unless moving the shifter to the left (S) and back to normal (D). (It wont go back to D after a few seconds)
Sometimes it moves automatically back to D just as with stock flash
When manually shifting a gear down in comfort/D, with the stock flash at least, the car will stay in the manually selected gear until you get back on the throttle and drive for a few seconds. If you just shift a gear down and do not press the gas again, the car will stay in the selected gear. So in other words, you need to press the throttle again to have it return back to automatic mode.

Are you sure this isnt what you are experiencing?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 12:41 PM   #15
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
No, there's a new option in the app. You have to click on the start in second option and enable the two sub-options in addition.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 01:32 PM   #16
nickf30n55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Highly recommend i daily the stage 4 mostly in comfort mode shifts are nice and crisp feels like a different car plus stage 4 in sports+ and if you put it into s/m mode it shifts for you and the shift points are set up for track use 1st gear shifts no lower 5 k rpm and so on down shifts are insanely aggressive keeps your transmission at the lowest gear possible at the speed you're going perfect for track use and if you don't like the shift points they can all me adjusted along with launch control and stuff i would recommend you do a transmission flush just to have fresh oil in there as preventative maintenance. 10/10 in my opinion favorite mod I did to my car by far.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #17
nickf30n55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Quote:
If you are tracking, you can try out the new stage 4 for 8AT, which is stage 8 with aggressive shift maps designed specifically to keep the car in auto on the track.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Stage 4 is identical to stage 3 just has those track mode in s/m in sports+ check my reply
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 01:47 PM   #18
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickf30n55 View Post
Stage 4 is identical to stage 3 just has those track mode in s/m in sports+ check my reply
Correct, i accidentally said stage 4 was the same as stage 8 but with track shiftpoints, but hopefully everyone realized i meant stage 3 lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 01:58 PM   #19
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

is there any proof or testing to validate the claim that there is no additional wear and tear from these maps?

i flashed the bm3 trans update to remove the torque limiter, but i find the shift speed to actually be slower than stock. its getting kind of annoying. XHP is on the list, but I am worried that 50k miles later, my trans will be shot or something
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 02:16 PM   #20
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aps View Post
is there any proof or testing to validate the claim that there is no additional wear and tear from these maps?

i flashed the bm3 trans update to remove the torque limiter, but i find the shift speed to actually be slower than stock. its getting kind of annoying. XHP is on the list, but I am worried that 50k miles later, my trans will be shot or something
Not sure what "proof" you expect to find? Its just a combination of (1) XHP claims and reputation (including for previous 6AT), (2) anecdotal evidence from users, (3) logic based on what they are changing and how it affects the transmission, particularly for a tuned car.

I mean, its the same idea as a DME flash. The "proof" is essentially the widespread use.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 03:00 PM   #21
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aps View Post

It would be expensive to do that kind of testing, so you rely on others experiences and xhps great track record. They would not release a flash that caused issues because it would come back around and ruin them. Sit back, grab a beer, have some faith that they know what they're doing and don't be a worry wort
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 03:11 PM   #22
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

true - i guess i trusted BM3, i can trust XHP lol
Appreciate 0