F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Best unit for Carplay and AA with EVO ID6
Studio RSR

Yesterday, 07:37 AM   #1
luke79
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M140i

Best unit for Carplay and AA with EVO ID6

Hi guys, I have one of those andream MMI clones I bought 2 years ago. It's starting to die, always boot to a black screen in the first 10 minutes, then freezes at bootloader stage, eventually launches AA when I don't need it anymore!

So, I was looking for a better replacement unit, because I'm missing the touchscreen function and noticed from other posts that some units are complete screen replacement (not only an intermediate MMI box but actually a screen with embedded logic) and could retain the touch function.
These are still carplay and Android auto based, I'm not talking about the full Android devices that could lead to half baked firmwares and mixed results, just the carplay/AA added value, but I'm unable to find a unit compatible with the EVO ID6, it looks like it's only good for CIC or NBT. Is there a reason for that or I just didn't find the right model ?

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:06 AM   #2
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

if you have an evo and it has the wlan port, why not get oem carplay installed?

otherwise; there arent many options as you can buy a module (just an adapter) for carplay/aa but it’s basically a mmi device
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:44 AM   #3
luke79
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homersbud View Post
if you have an evo and it has the wlan port, why not get oem carplay installed?

otherwise; there arent many options as you can buy a module (just an adapter) for carplay/aa but it’s basically a mmi device
So, about the first question, basically because I'm not an iphone user but an android user, otherwise I'd agree with you!

Can you point me to the module you're talking about, I'd like to take a look!
Tnx
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:49 AM   #4
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

something like this. there are many of these out there, so you’ll have see which works best. I’ve seen a few posts on here for a product very similiar that i’m sure you can find.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...3f5a6807130365
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:08 AM   #5
luke79
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok, I see... !
So, I'd have to ask someone for coding wired carplay, then I connect this kind of module to get wireless AA through the wired, native, Carplay right ?

I'm not sure I can have wired Carplay tho
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:55 AM   #6
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

there should be no coding needed for this. i can’t comment on how it works or anything as i never bothered to do any research as i got an mmi device and happy as can be but i have seen this solution floating around.

look on youtube and you can probably find videos on how it works.
Appreciate 0