F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > VRSF Chargepipe Issues
proTUNING Freaks

09-19-2018, 07:25 PM   #23
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paimon.soror View Post
Nope, box was in perfect shape.

The charge pipe was a 2nd one that was sent to me becayse the original had a bad paint job and terrible welds.

I have a thread floating around here somewhere with my experience.
Wow, that's too bad, they must have multiple staff of varying skill level and no QC. Mine looked perfect and fit perfect...welds, paint, everything. I guess I got lucky.
║ VRSF HD FMIC ║ ER DP custom paint ║ AWE cat back Exhaust Suite ║ NGK Plugs ║Bootmod3 Stage 1 93 ║ GFB DV+ ║ BMS 10mm Front ⁞ 12mm Rear Spacers ║ P Style BSM Rear Spoiler ║ Smoked Front Reflectors ║ Madico Onyx 20 Tint ║ LCI Lighted Trim Bezel ║ Opti-Coat Pro+ ║
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 07:28 PM   #24
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
I wish i had the same experience. The products perform ok. Unfortunately QC completely struck out for me on multiple fronts.

It is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #25
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelified View Post
Wow, that's too bad, they must have multiple staff of varying skill level and no QC. Mine looked perfect and fit perfect...welds, paint, everything. I guess I got lucky.
I had the same experience, my VRSF FMIC looks and feels really well made.

And then some people get a crap sandwich of an intercooler...
      09-20-2018, 09:08 AM   #26
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
I had the same experience, my VRSF FMIC looks and feels really well made.

And then some people get a crap sandwich of an intercooler...
It's mainly inconsistencies with their products. I feel like their manufacturing process is rudimentary (or at least their measuring/fitment process is) and leads to a higher number of unacceptable products. Not to say that whoever is welding that FMIC can't be in the groove that day and pump out 5 solid FMICs, but 5 FMICS out of even 10 a day at that quality is unacceptable. You should want at a minimum 1 per 1000 that is possibly faulty or lower quality, if we're talking smaller scale and less precise manufacturing.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #27
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Which revision did you get? All I know is that both CP and FMIC needed revisions due to it not being OEM spec. I'm sure you could guess as to why it came out that way but this is why I'm more supportive of companies who take the time to conduct R&D, test fitment for all vehicles they promise it will fit, and run it through a more vigorous QA. It's possible VRSF does this now and if they do, by all means, good on them. I think more transparency would be appreciated here. If their plan was to make it fit OEM specs (which it should) and that failed, it's not hard to accept that as such and make up for it on the back-end if need be.
I got the first version when they switched over to HD, actually within the week they announced it. Purchased June 8 2018. This is with the tabs but not the newest tab revision. My tabs were slightly too wide, not a big deal at all considering it was an easy fix and they really aren't needed to secure it up.
Attached Images

║ VRSF HD FMIC ║ ER DP custom paint ║ AWE cat back Exhaust Suite ║ NGK Plugs ║Bootmod3 Stage 1 93 ║ GFB DV+ ║ BMS 10mm Front ⁞ 12mm Rear Spacers ║ P Style BSM Rear Spoiler ║ Smoked Front Reflectors ║ Madico Onyx 20 Tint ║ LCI Lighted Trim Bezel ║ Opti-Coat Pro+ ║
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #28
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I got the first version when they switched over to HD, actually within the week they announced it. Purchased June 8 2018. This is with the tabs but not the newest tab revision. My tabs were slightly too wide, not a big deal at all considering it was an easy fix and they really aren't needed to secure it up.
I think I got the same version as you... I had a July 2nd 2018 order date. Revised HD fin pack but the clips were too large.
      09-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #29
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think I got the same version as you... I had a July 2nd 2018 order date. Revised HD fin pack but the clips were too large.
Seems like not everyone is as lucky as you both. Regardless, you shouldn't have to make any modifications if a product is made for your vehicle. It would be different if it were considered "universal".

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #30
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Seems like not everyone is as lucky as you both. Regardless, you shouldn't have to make any modifications if a product is made for your vehicle. It would be different if it were considered "universal".
Absolutely agree. Not trying to stunt the fact that mine fit OK lol, just pointing it out to emphasize manufacturing inconsistencies. There should be no luck involved regarding fitment when ordering a product that's designed to fit your car specifically.
      09-20-2018, 12:54 PM   #31
JG_Coupe88
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E36 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3   [0.00]
Both my VRSF HD FMIC and charge pipe fit fine, ordered them together in June I believe. But reading about more people's problems with VRSF makes me consider other brands for when I get a catless downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #32
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely agree. Not trying to stunt the fact that mine fit OK lol, just pointing it out to emphasize manufacturing inconsistencies. There should be no luck involved regarding fitment when ordering a product that's designed to fit your car specifically.
I do agree, but in this case I gave some leniency, due to the fact that sometimes non major changes by the auto-manufacturers are done down stream without notification. The aftermarket fitters will have those pains all the time. I assumed this was a slight change by BMW on the fan shroud for say 201x+ F3x models, and it will take time for VRSF to know a change needs to be made acted on. Then they need to differentiate FMIC models within the F3x group. I'm not saying that's the case here, but just saying that's why this particular case of the tabs doesn't bother me. After all, those tabs must fit some models right? They made a version of FMIC that did not have tabs and the F3x consuming population asked for them. Anyway, I agree 100% but also keep some open mindedness considering level of difference and the cost going into it. The CP is a different case altogether, be transparent, say you had supply issues, offer a fix for every customer, give a timeline and make it right.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #33
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_Coupe88 View Post
Both my VRSF HD FMIC and charge pipe fit fine, ordered them together in June I believe. But reading about more people's problems with VRSF makes me consider other brands for when I get a catless downpipe.
My VRSF catless DP fit fine. It was just difficult to line up working alone. It doesn't have the tranny bracket tabs so it's up to you to align in the correct "o'clock" time and if you don't it will have leaks. I think it's also a tad more difficult with an N26 vs N20 due to the v-band clamp at the mid-pipe end. There is much less tolerance of play to get it to line up with the v-clamp. That being said, if it's lined up correctly, the v-clamp creates a death grip to the mid-pipe. But like the FMIC others have had issues in the past, so the inconsistency is there.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #34
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I do agree, but in this case I gave some leniency, due to the fact that sometimes non major changes by the auto-manufacturers are done down stream without notification. The aftermarket fitters will have those pains all the time. I assumed this was a slight change by BMW on the fan shroud for say 201x+ F3x models, and it will take time for VRSF to know a change needs to be made acted on. Then they need to differentiate FMIC models within the F3x group. I'm not saying that's the case here, but just saying that's why this particular case of the tabs doesn't bother me. After all, those tabs must fit some models right? They made a version of FMIC that did not have tabs and the F3x consuming population asked for them. Anyway, I agree 100% but also keep some open mindedness considering level of difference and the cost going into it. The CP is a different case altogether, be transparent, say you had supply issues, offer a fix for every customer, give a timeline and make it right.
I understand that changes do occur but you shouldn't market a product as "Fits this car" unless you're going to throw a disclaimer in there. It only takes one customer who has an issue with fitment to make that known and take action. If your issue is that you've made all these FMICs and have a change, you take the current ones are modify them to fit any changes. You shouldn't have to cut any shrouds or modify anything unless absolutely necessary. There's a reason they're called bolt-ons.

Appreciate 1
      09-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #35
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I understand that changes do occur but you shouldn't market a product as "Fits this car" unless you're going to throw a disclaimer in there. It only takes one customer who has an issue with fitment to make that known and take action. If your issue is that you've made all these FMICs and have a change, you take the current ones are modify them to fit any changes. You shouldn't have to cut any shrouds or modify anything unless absolutely necessary. There's a reason they're called bolt-ons.
Yes, completely agree.
I was really just saying why I didn't complain about the tabs.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 03:39 PM   #36
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes, completely agree.
I was really just saying why I didn't complain about the tabs.
Ah, gotcha. At the end of the day for me, while it may put a bad taste in my mouth, so long as they rectify it, I wouldn't ever "blacklist" a company.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 03:48 PM   #37
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah, gotcha. At the end of the day for me, while it may put a bad taste in my mouth, so long as they rectify it, I wouldn't ever "blacklist" a company.
Agreed. If they come on here an genuinely express that they've made the necessary changes, they'd be OK in my book. Just waiting on them to do it.
      09-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #38
JG_Coupe88
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3   [0.00]
Quote:
My VRSF catless DP fit fine. It was just difficult to line up working alone. It doesn't have the tranny bracket tabs so it's up to you to align in the correct "o'clock" time and if you don't it will have leaks. I think it's also a tad more difficult with an N26 vs N20 due to the v-band clamp at the mid-pipe end. There is much less tolerance of play to get it to line up with the v-clamp. That being said, if it's lined up correctly, the v-clamp creates a death grip to the mid-pipe. But like the FMIC others have had issues in the past, so the inconsistency is there.
Okay thanks a lot for the heads up, will probably get a second set of hands, being as I do pretty much everything by myself. Just didn't want to be stuck halfway cause of some bs if it is a defective product lol. Most of the problems I've been seeing on here have been the CP pretty much.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 05:38 PM   #39
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Okay thanks a lot for the heads up, will probably get a second set of hands, being as I do pretty much everything by myself. Just didn't want to be stuck halfway cause of some bs if it is a defective product lol. Most of the problems I've been seeing on here have been the CP pretty much.
Yeah if you can get a second set of hands by all means use them. If you're not claustrophobic I did it on 4 jack stands and my race jack only lifts 14". IMO if you're on a budget VRSF is worth the gamble, if you can find one for around $100 more that mounts to the trans bracket...it saves a ton of time and hassle.
Regardless of brand, make sure to have on hand at least the turbo gasket and v-band clamp (N26 engine only). You really can't reuse the mid-pipe side v-clamp. The turbo side you can reuse the clamp but might as well replace the gasket. I got mine at GetBMWparts.com
Note: If you are N20 do not order 18-30-7-628-660
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-20-2018, 06:14 PM   #40
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah if you can get a second set of hands by all means use them. If you're not claustrophobic I did it on 4 jack stands and my race jack only lifts 14". IMO if you're on a budget VRSF is worth the gamble, if you can find one for around $100 more that mounts to the trans bracket...it saves a ton of time and hassle.
Regardless of brand, make sure to have on hand at least the turbo gasket and v-band clamp (N26 engine only). You really can't reuse the mid-pipe side v-clamp. The turbo side you can reuse the clamp but might as well replace the gasket. I got mine at GetBMWparts.com
+1. A second person helping is almost a must. Also, in addition to the V-Band and gasket, I'd recommend just getting an extra everything. Extra turbo side clamp, extra v-band, extra gasket, extra bolts of the right size and everything else that you'll be touching messing with on the DP. I ended up having to run to the dealer for a new mid pipe clamp (N20) in the middle of trying to do my DP and it was a huge pain in the ass.
      09-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #41
JG_Coupe88
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3   [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Again wow, thanks alot great info. Rjdny might as well right? that's the situation I'm trying to avoid. I like finishing things in one shot, it's been the case in all my mods. This will help keep it up .
Noelified228.00
      09-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #42
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Again wow, thanks alot great info. Rjdny might as well right? that's the situation I'm trying to avoid. I like finishing things in one shot, it's been the case in all my mods. This will help keep it up .
Exactly, might as well. Even if the clamps etc. don't need replacing, you might as well just do 'em while you're in there. Hope the install goes well for you
      09-21-2018, 07:48 AM   #43
Rokoz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80 M3

I've made the choice not to support vrsf in part due to this thread. There are other budget brands if that is what people need that provide better customer service. The inconsistent quality is not my biggest issue with them some of their products are solid, it's their lack of accountability when they aren't that bugs me
Appreciate 2
s3ri3s1187.50
Noelified228.00
      09-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #44
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokoz View Post
I've made the choice not to support vrsf in part due to this thread. There are other budget brands if that is what people need that provide better customer service. The inconsistent quality is not my biggest issue with them some of their products are solid, it's their lack of accountability when they aren't that bugs me
I can completely agree with that, but still keeping them on my RADAR just in case they come around (largely due to the quality of the HD FMIC I received from them - Otherwise they wouldn't be on my RADAR).
Appreciate 0