F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BMW Online and Connecteddrive all garbage and don't work?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
Malaka1
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 6MT Black

BMW Online and Connecteddrive all garbage and don't work?

Is it just me or are the Connecteddrive and BMW online apps all worthless? I have searched and searched and called and cannot get any of them to do a thing.. Apps..right
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 11:23 PM   #2
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

They tend to be slow but work for me. All I use BMW online for to get the wx in my secondary display. Connect Drive to run the M app and sometimes for internet radio.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 11:32 PM   #3
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka1 View Post
Is it just me or are the Connecteddrive and BMW online apps all worthless? I have searched and searched and called and cannot get any of them to do a thing.. Apps..right
What you'll find is that even if you get them running, they aren't useful enough to do anything significant and the whole bury-my-phone-in-the-armrest-sync situation is too inconvenient to even make it worth the bother.

I tried using them the first week I owned the car, discovered Siri could do everything better, never missed a beat.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

They all work for me, and the potential is there. But as someone said above, it's almost not worth the minimal effort to open the armrest and connect the phone. The problem for me is that always makes me get out of the car and forget my phone. I'll use the Eco pro app when I'm bored on a longer drive and want to try getting stars. I'd use the lap timer for recording 0-60 runs, but I have no idea how to. The Messaging works for me on my two phones, but I wish you'd get a audible beep or a msg pop up on the HUD when one comes in. That little envelop doesn't cut it. I don't care about getting social media updates while driving. Calendar is ok, but the interface is meh.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 05:40 AM   #5
gramoz1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 316d sport

Hello

I have got my new BMW 316 Sport on last week, with Professional Media Package. I have been trying to activate the connected drive online by filling the online application form firstly, I called BMW customer services, they told me that they haven't received any application, anyway I resent it, this time did screenshot in case they said again they haven't received it. called BMW customer services again and again they said they haven't received it. told them that i have screenshots of application completion, they said they would investigate. anyway today i received an email from BMW customer services,

"your query has been sent off to Germany to be investigated. We are unfortunately experiencing unresolved technical issues which are preventing the activation of ConnectedDrive services on a limited number of BMW vehicles. This issue is under investigation but unfortunately at the current time we do not have a timeframe for a fix to be implemented."
Unresolved!!
do not have a timeframe for a fix to be implemented!!

Very disappointed with BMW because I paid £1890 for something I can't fully use.

Now just emailed BMW HeadOffice. Looking forward to their explanation.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka1 View Post
It must be you...

I have been using ConnectedDrive and BMW Apps (there is no BMW "Online" "Apps", it is either BMW Apps or BMW Online) since 2009 (BMW Search added to a swapped CIC unit with the help of BMW Assist) and I have not encountered the kind of "worthless" that you have found.

Especially now that BMW Online has been standard with Nav since 2014, searching for POI and businesses have been easier than ever as it is actually Google Search the engine running that search. Panoramio, Street and Satellite View, Weather, Wiki, Yelp and even gas station prices are easily and quickly available via the Nav screen.

BMW Apps (standard as well with Nav since 2014) has been also upgraded to fully support A2DP Album Art and FLAC files. So the iPod/iPhone music interface is finally the same regardless of physical connection (USB or A2DP).

So... if what you are really talking about is that none of that above is working for you then this is not a matter of the system not working correctly. It is that the particular system in your car is not working correctly. Which has a very easy explanation: take your car to your dealer to check the activation of the system. Dealers are known to fail the activation of the Combox in the NBT at delivery as it is a remote process via a server.

If that is not your problem then I have no idea where the "worthless" is coming from.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #7
jaffab
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 420d xdrive M Sport

I agree - for the price of the car, the top brands of standard cars (BMW, Audi and Merc) should have a better game for the in-car systems than this. To be honest, if they stuck in an android console with a SIM card, the experience would be far, far better.

Where is the...

1) True connect to calendar "Oh I see you have an appointment at XYZ in 4 hours, shall I start plotting the route there?"
2) Heres an email, let me read that out to you, now say 1,2,3 or 4 for one of your standard replies you have set up
3) "Car, how many people live in new york?"
4) "Car, find me a Chinese restaurant around here, now give me directions, and now call the number"

Both Android and ios allow all of this, but they wont even provide true "connect to your phone and use its features" facilities.

For what was sold to me as "office on the move" - it is far FAR from that, and feels about 5 years behind the times, with no indication that anything will change soon until somebody goes with ANDROID-M (the car version of android).
Appreciate 0