F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > 435d track prep?
GetBMWParts

03-16-2020, 06:02 PM   #23
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron435d View Post
So holding down for 6-10 seconds turns traction completly off but only allows you to remain in comfort? Even if you push it in sports +? You mentioned it takes you out of sports plus? How does keeping in comfort and holding button down differ from simply putting in sports +.
holding the traction control button down for a few seconds will turn off traction control but throttle response will be the same as it is in comfort mode. And yes, even if you select sport+ and then hold the traction control button down for a few seconds thereafter turning off traction control, the system will still revert back to a 'comfort mode' throttle response.

You can mitigate some of it with linear throttle feature available with MHD but thats for gas engines. does unicorn offer something like that for diesels?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 04:21 AM   #24
Ron435d
Private
Rep
Drives: 435dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigade24 View Post
holding the traction control button down for a few seconds will turn off traction control but throttle response will be the same as it is in comfort mode. And yes, even if you select sport+ and then hold the traction control button down for a few seconds thereafter turning off traction control, the system will still revert back to a 'comfort mode' throttle response.

You can mitigate some of it with linear throttle feature available with MHD but thats for gas engines. does unicorn offer something like that for diesels?
How does the level of traction differ from sports + with traction off and holding the button down and remaining in comfort setting. Is the traction turn off completly holding it down were as in sports plus it's still.off but with some level.of traction? What's MHD?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #25
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
How does the level of traction differ from sports + with traction off and holding the button down and remaining in comfort setting. Is the traction turn off completly holding it down were as in sports plus it's still.off but with some level.of traction? What's MHD?
MHD is a tuning application for late model bmws (not sure if they have anything for diesels).

from my experience, the traction control in sport+ does allow for some slip but the way it engages is too abrupt significantly impeding momentum, slowing the car in a way that makes the driver feel helpless...(i've lost a couple of races due to this). I have found that even upon slipping or losing traction, having the DSC completely off offers more feedback and predictability to control the car in a high-speed/hard transition type of situation. This provides the driver with information that is necessary to react accordingly since you do not have to guess when or how hard the traction control will engage.

Even in the rain, I was faster with the DSC completely off than being in sport+. And that's despite the difference in throttle response between the two modes.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 03:41 PM   #26
Ron435d
Private
Rep

Quote:
MHD is a tuning application for late model bmws (not sure if they have anything for diesels).

from my experience, the traction control in sport+ does allow for some slip but the way it engages is too abrupt significantly impeding momentum, slowing the car in a way that makes the driver feel helpless...(i've lost a couple of races due to this). I have found that even upon slipping or losing traction, having the DSC completely off offers more feedback and predictability to control the car in a high-speed/hard transition type of situation. This provides the driver with information that is necessary to react accordingly since you do not have to guess when or how hard the traction control will engage.

Even in the rain, I was faster with the DSC completely off than being in sport+. And that's despite the difference in throttle response between the two modes.
This makes alot of sence to me. I remember the old days where traction control wasnt heard if and you as a driver knew your car and your inputs alone controlled everything and if you slide or kick out you knew how to best control.it with driver inputs. I do hate when my merc traction kicks in at different times and as you say makes me think for a split second (do I need to correct this or will the car do it for me).

I think people panic too much about no traction atall.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 06:26 PM   #27
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
This makes alot of sence to me. I remember the old days where traction control wasnt heard if and you as a driver knew your car and your inputs alone controlled everything and if you slide or kick out you knew how to best control.it with driver inputs. I do hate when my merc traction kicks in at different times and as you say makes me think for a split second (do I need to correct this or will the car do it for me).

I think people panic too much about no traction atall.
agreed...ive got an old 98 camaro with no traction control and albeit its not as fast as the BMW...yet, you actually have to use your senses to drive the car...you feel everything even though it has an inferior chassis.

its one of those imperfect cars that you just drive and you don't have to worry about catching the coronavirus from pushing the traction control button...awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 04:20 AM   #28
Ron435d
Private
Rep

Quote:
agreed...ive got an old 98 camaro with no traction control and albeit its not as fast as the BMW...yet, you actually have to use your senses to drive the car...you feel everything even though it has an inferior chassis.

its one of those imperfect cars that you just drive and you don't have to worry about catching the coronavirus from pushing the traction control button...awesome.
Said to the mrs yesterday of I have to self isolate I'll be sitting in the car as it's the cleanest place to be
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 09:39 PM   #29
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Said to the mrs yesterday of I have to self isolate I'll be sitting in the car as it's the cleanest place to be
LOL, safety first...our track season might shrink so gotta take advantage of what will be left.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 04:32 AM   #30
Ron435d
Private
Rep

Quote:
LOL, safety first...our track season might shrink so gotta take advantage of what will be left.
Are you booked onto any track days soon mate? Have you ever done cadwell park?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 06:19 PM   #31
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Are you booked onto any track days soon mate? Have you ever done cadwell park?
I'm in Canada and I would love to run a Cadwell...I checked out the layout and it looks amazing.

bookings have not started for us here but hopefully soon...we usually start in May and I still gotta install some brakes and an intercooler. I run at Calabogie Motorsports Park and Shannonville Motorsports Park.

I'd love to try watkins glen too once they lift the non-essential travel ban even though I think its essential.

Last edited by brigade24; 03-19-2020 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: error correction
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 07:40 AM   #32
Ron435d
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm in Canada and I would love to run a Cadwell...I checked out the layout and it looks amazing.

bookings have not started for us here but hopefully soon...we usually start in May and I still gotta install some brakes and an intercooler. I run at Calabogie Motorsports Park and Shannonville Motorsports Park.

I'd love to try watkins glen too once they lift the non-essential travel ban even though I think its essential.
Oh i see, well hello from good old yorkshire. Met some canadians in a bar in London 3 months ago at a property investors networking event. It's safe to say I have no recollection of the 3 day event as him and his sister got me absolutely sh@t faced
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 04:58 PM   #33
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Oh i see, well hello from good old yorkshire. Met some canadians in a bar in London 3 months ago at a property investors networking event. It's safe to say I have no recollection of the 3 day event as him and his sister got me absolutely sh@t faced
Hello from Ottawa. LMAO...yup, sounds very canadian to me.
Appreciate 0