F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 440i Xdrive mod options
proTUNING Freaks

07-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #1
Alvin Mpower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

440i Xdrive mod options

Hey guys, just put a deposit down on a 2017 440i xdrive manual with 16k miles on it. The car came with M performance exhaust, but not the whole mppsk package, can I just get the sound kit as stand alone? How much will that cost? Any other options I can go with to make some rice krispys from the exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 03:34 PM   #2
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

The exhaust is the "SK" in MPPSK. You'll get some mild burbles from a stock B58 tune with the exhaust.

The "MPP" is just a very mild performance tune. But a BM3 tune will give you adjustable burbles and a huge performance boost.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Actually, the exhaust that comes in the MPPSK is different than the standalone M performance exhaust. The stand alone (that you can buy from sites like ecstuning or bimmerworld) is literally just the exhaust whereas in the kit it is both a mid pipe with both resonators removed and the exhaust. AFAIK you cannot purchase the midpipe portion. Although this is bimmerpost so I'm sure someone will correct me with a link very shortly lol

But agree with the above poster, get the bm3 tune and you won't be able to wipe the smile off that ugly mug of yours.
      07-13-2020, 10:08 PM   #4
BowzerF30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i PS2

Cat less downpipe and stage 1 or 2 tune should be your next steps if you're looking at really modifying the car..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 06:28 AM   #5
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
The exhaust is the "SK" in MPPSK. You'll get some mild burbles from a stock B58 tune with the exhaust.

The "MPP" is just a very mild performance tune. But a BM3 tune will give you adjustable burbles and a huge performance boost.
Completely wrong!!

Here an overview of 3 quite different products which are confused way too often:

MPPK: N55 (x35i) product consisting of a tune and new/modified air intake

MPE: A new/modified silencer/muffler for N55 (x35i) and B58 (x40i). Note - this is just an end-silencer replacing the stock one, nothing else in the exhaust gets modified. It improves the sound noticably, but does not fundamentally change the exhaust system in any way.

MPPSK: B58 product consisting of a tune and a completely new, higher diameter, valved exhaust system aft of the cat. conv. downpipe! No mid-silencer (deleted) and effectively a straight-pipe exhaust as soon as the valves open. Not to be confused with MPPK and MPE! It is not a "repack" of either. Very different and much more spectacular

@horrizenashisland
You cannot just add the Software tune, as what you most likely have (based on your explanation) is the MPE. In order to get the BMW tune, you will need to get the MPPSK which is a separate product. The MPE you have and will be removed can be resold.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 07-14-2020 at 06:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:16 AM   #6
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post

Completely wrong!!

Here an overview of 3 quite different products which are confused way too often:

MPPK: N55 (x35i) product consisting of a tune and new/modified air intake

MPE: A new/modified silencer/muffler for N55 (x35i) and B58 (x40i). Note - this is just an end-silencer replacing the stock one, nothing else in the exhaust gets modified. It improves the sound noticably, but does not fundamentally change the exhaust system in any way.

MPPSK: B58 product consisting of a tune and a completely new, higher diameter, valved exhaust system aft of the cat. conv. downpipe! No mid-silencer (deleted) and effectively a straight-pipe exhaust as soon as the valves open. Not to be confused with MPPK and MPE! It is not a "repack" of either. Very different and much more spectacular

@horrizenashisland
You cannot just add the Software tune, as what you most likely have (based on your explanation) is the MPE. In order to get the BMW tune, you will need to get the MPPSK which is a separate product. The MPE you have and will be removed can be resold.
...:so pretty much what I said but with more words...
      07-14-2020, 08:25 AM   #7
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Not exactly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
Actually, the exhaust that comes in the MPPSK is different than the standalone M performance exhaust. The stand alone (that you can buy from sites like ecstuning or bimmerworld) is literally just the exhaust whereas in the kit it is both a mid pipe with both resonators removed and the exhaust. AFAIK you cannot purchase the midpipe portion.
Your explanation, since your refer to both as "the exhaust", leaves the impression that MPE is an integral part of the MPPSK exhaust system, which in turn just adds a "midpipe portion" to it.
This is completely wrong! MPPSK does not include the MPE silencer. The one and only silencer in the MPPSK is completely different (also visually) and constitutes a valved exhaust - when the valves open, the silencer is bypassed!

One can of course influence the sound by using the settings in various tunes, but nothing compensates for a good, less restrictive exhaust system.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 07-14-2020 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 01:57 PM   #8
Alvin Mpower
Lieutenant
Rep

yep, called BMW, they don't sell the tune by itself. I drove a 340i with MPPSK and I really liked it, looks like BM3 is the most common tune from youtubers.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 03:41 PM   #9
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

You could have just read the MPPSK brochure. It say it there as well It is one complete product and package which is only approved for use as such.

But you could as well buy the package. The exhaust alone is a state of the art product.
      07-14-2020, 07:08 PM   #10
JTL88
Private
Rep
Drives: f30

If you are interested in splitting the package from BMW (you take the tune, I'll take the exhaust), let me know.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:56 PM   #11
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL88 View Post
If you are interested in splitting the package from BMW (you take the tune, I'll take the exhaust), let me know.
He would first need to get the full pack installed and then remove the exhaust to fit his stock one back. Just FYI.
      07-14-2020, 09:59 PM   #12
JTL88
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Quote:
He would first need to get the full pack installed and then remove the exhaust to fit his stock one back. Just FYI.
Not true at all. You can buy the kit online and have the dealership just install the tune portion...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:31 PM   #13
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

No dealership would/should install just the tune, as it is not approved for use on the vehicle without the hardware part.

At least in Europe you will not find a single dealership that would do that.
      07-15-2020, 02:13 PM   #14
Alvin Mpower
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
lol, I can can sell you the M performance Exhaust(not the MPPSK exhaust) if you are interested
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #15
JTL88
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrizenashisland View Post
Quote:
lol, I can can sell you the M performance Exhaust(not the MPPSK exhaust) if you are interested
I have the M performance Exhaust too. I find it a little disappointing... but I didnt want to pay $1xxx for a tune from BMW when I can get BM3/MHD for ~half the price and have more fun...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 08:17 AM   #16
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Do they even have the usual stand-alone MPE for B58? Maybe the OP's car has the full exhaust system with the mid-silencer delete that comes with MPPPSK? The MPPSK sounds way more aggressive than just the MPE with OTS burble settings of bootmod3 which I have currently on my N55, I think once I add the catted downpipe the sound will get better, not that I'm complaining, it sounds pretty good even right now with mild burbles, significant improvement over stock exhaust, it has a different deeper tone.
Appreciate 0