F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > So why have all these tuners in the last couple months cracked the DME?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #45
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionPerformance View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post
May I ask if you were a computer guy that got into cars, or a car guy that got into computer programming?

For sure the second one as from a very early age, cars have been in my blood. Growing up in post-soviet Russia, I was able to pretty much do anything I wanted to (within reason of course) from ditching weeks of school to spend that time in garage to driving as soon as I was able to reach the pedals and still see the road...and all of that without getting child services called on by neighbors.

Moving to USA has given me opportunities after HS to actually turn this hobby into a carrier, something I would never be able to do back "home". And that is how my first company was started in 2010 when we built world's first Twin Screw BMW V8. The car was a '99 E39 540i Wagon converted to 6Speed with a Eaton M122 mounted to it. The hardware aspect was pretty easy, but the tuning was next to impossible. I have reached out to numerous tuners, in states and abroad, in hopes to have them custom tune this build but no one was able to. They had a basic SC tune but it just wouldn't work with our setup....so it was time for me to learn the art of tuning/hacking/programming. Countless sleepless nights and gallons of coffee has led us to where we are now, and its still just the beginning.

PS:
Found the video of that project still posted on youtube:
I love superchargers.

In high school I put a blower on a single cam Honda four cylinder (d16y8) because that's all I had and I wanted a supercharger! Jackson racing made an Eaton based kit with mechanical fuel manager.

Very nice work on the wagon, blown V8 is just a great platform.
Ahhh yes good old Jackson racing - hadn't heard that name since well HighSchool
Appreciate 1
David0ff1059.00
      03-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #46
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ROXS View Post
So fueling is still the main issue for the b58?
Depends what your end goal is, but yes the turbo can out preform the fueling by quite a bit. If you run stock turbo and are ok with 400whp and tq then stock fueling is enough. Very consistent with the flashing now.

The "new" b58 has higher pressure pumps so it will be even less of an issue with the cars being released now. (z4 m40i, m340i, x5 40i, ect.)

Last edited by jalkster; 03-01-2019 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #47
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalkster View Post
Depends what your end goal is, but yes the turbo can out preform the fueling by quite a bit. If you run stock turbo and are ok with 400whp and tq then stock fueling is enough. Very consistent with the flashing now.

The "new" b58 has higher pressure pumps so it will be even less of an issue with the cars being released now. (z4 m40i, m340i, x5 40i, ect.)
are there any high pressure pumps available for the old b58?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 10:22 PM   #48
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ROXS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalkster View Post

are there any high pressure pumps available for the old b58?
Not yet but MP and probably some other companies are working on it. Once the newer versions of b58 have been out for awhile I'm sure someone with see if it's a one for one swap with the older ones.
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0