F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Recommended springs for xdrive?!
Studio RSR

02-19-2021, 03:33 PM   #1
Dreamvillainz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

Recommended springs for xdrive?!

I want to drop my car. not too low but no more than an inch.
Any springs that still give you some of that factory ride quality?

take a look at my car, you see that xdrive gap? That is my summer setit'll look so much better with a drop!

thanks, fellas.

-I also have the adaptive suspension.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-19-2021, 04:03 PM   #2
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

AC Schnitzer springs on X-Drive 435 with Adaptive suspension. Has dropped it around an inch as you want. More 'feel' from the road surface, but body control is better. Sport chassis is about right for fast road work and keeps the body in better check still. Is it perfect, no, but a fair improvement.

Last edited by Techno 9000; 02-19-2021 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 04:48 PM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamvillainz View Post

take a look at my car, you see that xdrive gap? That is my summer setit'll look so much better with a drop!

thanks, fellas.

Eibachs Springs are exactly what you are looking for. You don't say which car you have so can't give you a part number. Eibachs lower the front more than rear to get rid of xdrive reverse rake. And they are only slightly stiffer than stock so they won't rattle your teeth.
Appreciate 1
rcaso26331.00
      02-19-2021, 05:04 PM   #4
Dreamvillainz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:

thanks, fellas.

Eibachs Springs are exactly what you are looking for. You don't say which car you have so can't give you a part number. Eibachs lower the front more than rear to get rid of xdrive reverse rake. And they are only slightly stiffer than stock so they won't rattle your teeth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
[IMG]https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1587287230[/IMG]
AC Schnitzer springs on X-Drive 435 with Adaptive suspension. Has dropped it around an inch as you want. More 'feel' from the road surface, but body control is better. Sport chassis is about right for fast road work and keeps the body in better check still. Is it perfect, no, but a fair improvement.
I have a 2013 335 xDrive. Nice pictures and thanks for the input, guys. I also saw Dinan has springs and their ride/quality kit.

I'll check out AC.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 11:38 PM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

thanks, fellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
I have a 2013 335 xDrive. Nice pictures and thanks for the input, guys. I also saw Dinan has springs and their ride/quality kit.

I'll check out AC.
I have the same car. The Eibachs lower the front by 0.8" and the rear by 0.6". It gets rid of some of the xDrive reverse rake. Eibachs are about 10% stiffer than stock so there is a bit more ride control without adding harshness.

Avoid Dinan springs. They are 30% stiffer so expect them to rattle your teeth compared to how your car rides now. And the drop is the same all around, about 0.75".

ACS springs for this car appear to be made by Eibach. The specs are identical. Don't be fooled into thinking that ACS is a different option for your car. It's the same thing. The prices that I've seen for ACS are higher.

The Eibach spring kit that you need is part number E10-20-031-06-22. I just did a quick search and found it for $247. See photos from my car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      02-20-2021, 02:55 AM   #6
Dreamvillainz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have the same car. The Eibachs lower the front by 0.8" and the rear by 0.6". It gets rid of some of the xDrive reverse rake. Eibachs are about 10% stiffer than stock so there is a bit more ride control without adding harshness.

Avoid Dinan springs. They are 30% stiffer so expect them to rattle your teeth compared to how your car rides now. And the drop is the same all around, about 0.75".

ACS springs for this car appear to be made by Eibach. The specs are identical. Don't be fooled into thinking that ACS is a different option for your car. It's the same thing. The prices that I've seen for ACS are higher.

The Eibach spring kit that you need is part number E10-20-031-06-22. I just did a quick search and found it for $247. See photos from my car.
will order soon. thanks a lot, brother!
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      02-20-2021, 08:19 AM   #7
rcaso26
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

johnung has helped a lot of people on this forum with suspension, including me. I took John's advice and installed eicbach springs and koni special active struts on my 2015 328 xdrive and couldn't be happier. Thanks John!
Appreciate 3
      02-20-2021, 08:32 AM   #8
lebaaron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaso26 View Post
johnung has helped a lot of people on this forum with suspension, including me. I took John's advice and installed eicbach springs and koni special active struts on my 2015 328 xdrive and couldn't be happier. Thanks John!
do you have a picture of your drop, I'm aiming for the same setup thx.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 09:11 AM   #9
ChuckP49
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive Gran Coupe

Another option are H&R Sport springs, highly recommended by my Indy mechanic.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2021, 10:34 AM   #10
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

here is eibach kit 5-22 for RWD on an F30 x-drive.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1789015

here are threads in the suspension sub-forums.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1501682

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1785193

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 02-20-2021 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 3
      02-20-2021, 02:54 PM   #11
rcaso26
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebaaron View Post
Quote:
do you have a picture of your drop, I'm aiming for the same setup thx.
Sure
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 12:27 AM   #12
lebaaron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Sure
looks nice, did you try some 19s in the summer with this drop?
Appreciate 1
rcaso26331.00
      02-21-2021, 05:16 AM   #13
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:

Partially true.
- Eibach have been suspected to be a supplier of ACS for a long time. It may or may not be true.
- ACS have significantly better customer support and potentially less impact on vehicle warranty, if any. This for me was enough to go for ACS instead of what is believed to be their supplier, despite the price difference.
- In many cases the rear drop is bigger with ACS.... My experience is not different. I used to have no XDrive reverse rake out of factory. Now I do with the ACSs. There is a potential solution with adapters (which ACS sent me free of charge after I contacted them about the reverse rake, in case I want to use them in the future.... another example of their great customer support)

My experience so far has been great. No difference in Comfort mode. A bit stiffer in Sport and less roll. Generally no negative impact on comfort, which was important for me. And moderate drop as I wanted it.

Last but not least.... there is a whole section dedicated to suspension threads.... https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=460
      02-21-2021, 07:36 AM   #14
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Echoing what's been said a million times on this topic...

only do coilovers

or

change shocks to bilstein b8's while you're at it. springs - h&r in my case ruined the driving experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 08:15 AM   #15
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Quote:

Partially true.
- Eibach have been suspected to be a supplier of ACS for a long time. It may or may not be true.
- ACS have significantly better customer support and potentially less impact on vehicle warranty, if any. This for me was enough to go for ACS instead of what is believed to be their supplier, despite the price difference.
- In many cases the rear drop is bigger with ACS.... My experience is not different. I used to have no XDrive reverse rake out of factory. Now I do with the ACSs. There is a potential solution with adapters (which ACS sent me free of charge after I contacted them about the reverse rake, in case I want to use them in the future.... another example of their great customer support)

My experience so far has been great. No difference in Comfort mode. A bit stiffer in Sport and less roll. Generally no negative impact on comfort, which was important for me. And moderate drop as I wanted it.

Last but not least.... there is a whole section dedicated to suspension threads.... https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=460
I think it's important to note for those who are unaware, that ACS is a brand most likely to be found in Europe. It has a loyal following there. That's not the case in the US where major suppliers carry mostly Eibach and H&R.

In my personal experience over the past three years every time that I've seen a positive post (from Europe) about an ACS product that might fit my car, it turned out to have identical specs to another manufacturer's product such as Eibach that I could readily obtain in the US at a lower price than ACS.

In fact when I was working with a major damper manufacturer to choose a compatible spring we listed all of the possible options that fit my car and they told me that the ACS springs were just rebranded Eibach springs with a marked up price.

There are posts on here where guys have taken the time to collect and compare the technical specifications between ACS and Eibach springs and found the vast majority of them to be identical. Yes, there are a handful of BMW models where ACS has chosen to sell springs with different specs than Eibach. But that is exception, not the rule.

My point is that if you are going to pay a premium for a spring with an ACS label on it for your particular BMW model, you may want to doublecheck if that premium price is somehow warranted for you. That judgement may be different in Europe vs the US.
Appreciate 1
i128316.00
      02-21-2021, 08:31 AM   #16
rcaso26
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebaaron View Post
Quote:
Sure
looks nice, did you try some 19s in the summer with this drop?
If I upgrade wheels I'll probably get 18s again. The roads are terrible here on Long Island and I want as comfortable of a ride as possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 11:40 AM   #17
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Partially true.

I think it's important to note for those who are unaware, that ACS is a brand most likely to be found in Europe. It has a loyal following there. That's not the case in the US where major suppliers carry mostly Eibach and H&R.

In my personal experience over the past three years every time that I've seen a positive post (from Europe) about an ACS product that might fit my car, it turned out to have identical specs to another manufacturer's product such as Eibach that I could readily obtain in the US at a lower price than ACS.

In fact when I was working with a major damper manufacturer to choose a compatible spring we listed all of the possible options that fit my car and they told me that the ACS springs were just rebranded Eibach springs with a marked up price.

There are posts on here where guys have taken the time to collect and compare the technical specifications between ACS and Eibach springs and found the vast majority of them to be identical. Yes, there are a handful of BMW models where ACS has chosen to sell springs with different specs than Eibach. But that is exception, not the rule.

My point is that if you are going to pay a premium for a spring with an ACS label on it for your particular BMW model, you may want to doublecheck if that premium price is somehow warranted for you. That judgement may be different in Europe vs the US.
True.
As I explained, even if we assume that the ACS springs are rebranded Eibach, I'd still pay the extra for ACS for the premium customer support and warranty, since the factory one is partially void by the upgrade.

In addition, the mounting of the springs here cost me more than twice the price of the ACS springs. If I had bought Eibach, I'd have saved some 10-20% of the total price.... which is negligible.

It may be different in the States. And if the price tag is the top priority, there are much cheaper options even than Eibach.
      02-21-2021, 01:50 PM   #18
kriszty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 M240ix pureturbo800 dorch1

I thought the Bilstein B12 Pro is better suited for xdrive
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2021, 02:57 PM   #19
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

What makes them „better suited" and better than what?
      02-22-2021, 01:21 AM   #20
kriszty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 M240ix pureturbo800 dorch1

Quote:
What makes them „better suited" and better than what?
Better then springs only

I heard that only the Eibach springs are bad for your suspension, some drivers reported broken suspension cause the eibach put a lot of strain on it
Eibach springs will lower your car but will not improve the bounce as its the job of the damper to stop the spring from bouncing up and down

Last edited by kriszty; 02-22-2021 at 01:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 02:12 AM   #21
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

True. And with stock springs there is no bounce? 😉

As long as you don't go too low, there is no harm. Besides that - that's why we have adaptive suspension as an option

There are so many lowered xdrives on the streets.
      03-02-2021, 10:32 AM   #22
trebec
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Eibach springs are great, I've got the same car and run Bilstein B8's with the RWD version on my x-drive. I did do an EDC delete and am static but you could run these springs with the stock suspension, you will increase wear on stock shocks though. Also see this post on how to delete EDC, you could save some money by not doing EDC dampers if that's your thing. Check out this post for more info. Also of note is that the wheel arch is physically taller in the front than it is in the rear. So from center of the hub to top of arch is greater than it is in the rear. I could visually tell so I drew the lines on the computer and verified, I will likely fix it with coil-overs in the future.

Eibach Part Number E10-20-031-02-22