F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Share your BimmerTech PP82DSP Amp Tune Files **Updated 01/15/18
proTUNING Freaks

06-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #265
twodoor
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 30i G01 2020

Hello again... I have a general question about DSPs and the PP86DSP in particular:

Is it possible to make the bass / subwoofers sound louder only at lower level so that when the music volume is at 30% (for example), the bass/subwoofers gain to be somewhere higher? The point would be to have more bass at lower volumes and normal 0db undistorted bass at max volume.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #266
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor View Post
Hello again... I have a general question about DSPs and the PP86DSP in particular:

Is it possible to make the bass / subwoofers sound louder only at lower level so that when the music volume is at 30% (for example), the bass/subwoofers gain to be somewhere higher? The point would be to have more bass at lower volumes and normal 0db undistorted bass at max volume.
Add a remote ie URC.3 installed in your armrest and you can adjust on the fly without having to pull out your laptop.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 02:31 AM   #267
twodoor
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 30i G01 2020

Ok but that's not what I want :P I was wondering if this is achievable through a software configuration.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 07:29 AM   #268
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Ok but that's not what I want :P I was wondering if this is achievable through a software configuration.
I'm 99% sure no but could be wrong - which is why I suggested a workaround.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #269
tmac01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Anyone have a tune for an F25 that also has an external sub setup? I just want a place to start. Thanks there aren’t many F25 tunes out there.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #270
m_michael
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by foveon View Post
Your routing should look like the attached. Confirm that there's even signal.

You can play around with the gain and cross over frequency settings too.

Typical THX standard is 80hz and I'd start there but if your sub can reach all the way to 250hz, you can also try upping the cross over in the PC TOOL for channel H.
Thanks for sharing your tune foveon! I have an 86DSP amp, loading the tune messes up the routing for 82DSP based files. Is the routing your shared the one you use for OEM or is this for a sub configuration? Could you please share your OEM routing. Much appreciated.

Follow-up: Figured it out. Loaded the 82DSP file into demo mode. The routing looks like the routing from the post I originally referenced. All speakers are routed through the subs. Which is how I now setup the 86DSP, works great.

Last edited by m_michael; 09-07-2018 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #271
JJFox
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive

Deleting PDF Extension

For the life of me i cant figure out how to get rid of the pdf extension when trying to download these files. how do i do that?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 08:00 PM   #272
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFox View Post
For the life of me i cant figure out how to get rid of the pdf extension when trying to download these files. how do i do that?

Windows

MAC

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 11:54 PM   #273
RobTheBob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xDriver Sport Wagon

I saw a few mentions in the thread about adjusting tunes to work with ASD. I happen to be in the minority that likes the ASD in my F31. How would I go about adjusting a tune to work better with ASD? Just lower the overall gain of all channels? Is ASD present just on certain channels?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 02:38 PM   #274
RobTheBob
Enlisted Member
Rep

One additional question, is it easy to adjust PP82DSP files to work on a PP86DSP?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #275
JJFox
Rep

Match UP7 BMW Review

Just an update. The Match Up7 BMW is pretty awesome with stock speakers. I’m incredibly surprised the stock speakers are this capable. Its much louder, and it retains the same sound quality at much higher volumes with a proper tune. Bass response is much better surprisingly. I really think the stock base system was pretty great, compared to any base system in any car I’ve driven (I deal with a lot of rentals), it was just way too quiet for me.

I do have to say that I’m running all the gains pretty much maxed out, and had to boost my whole EQ several DBs to get the volume I wanted. If ads are correct, that means the stock speakers are taking around 65w and the woofers 100+rms. I was getting way more distortion at max volume stock than I am at max volume now. Even with the amp pushing as much as it can it still could be a hair louder, my last car with a full pro audio spl setup and a top of the line pioneer touchscreen with 16 band eq was louder (duh!! But Sound quality was nowhere near this good), But I’m pretty happy with it, it’s more than loud enough. I needed to get out of my ear bursting phase anyways.

Knowing that, and knowing the the speaker specs that have been posted by billfitz and others on this forum, I question what the purpose of replacing the stock speakers is. People complain about the tweeters, and the woofers, but they keep up no problem. Its very clear that the issues that the stock system had were an underpowered amp that was being overdriven, causing speakers to distort, And crossovers that were a little Off.

I don’t see how replacing the speakers could ever do much at all for anybody, unless you got a way more powerful amp than either bimmertech or the up7. Even then, I’d question how much more capable they would be. I’m really glad I went with my gut and replaced the amp instead of speakers.

Last edited by JJFox; 10-26-2018 at 08:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 08:06 PM   #276
JJFox
Rep

Robthebob, I just used bimmertechs file to start with on my UP7. It looks to me like they all cross over okay, eqs and crossovers all were the same. I didn’t see any real changes when i loaded it up to the other in demo, so I rolled with it and it worked great. Might have to tweak the Eq a bit though.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 01:21 AM   #277
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Just an update. The Match Up7 BMW is pretty awesome with stock speakers. I’m incredibly surprised the stock speakers are this capable. Its much louder, and it retains the same sound quality at much higher volumes with a proper tune. Bass response is much better surprisingly. I really think the stock base system was pretty great, compared to any base system in any car I’ve driven (I deal with a lot of rentals), it was just way too quiet for me.

I do have to say that I’m running all the gains pretty much maxed out, and had to boost my whole EQ several DBs to get the volume I wanted. If ads are correct, that means the stock speakers are taking around 65w and the woofers 100+rms. I was getting way more distortion at max volume stock than I am at max volume now. Even with the amp pushing as much as it can it still could be a hair louder, my last car with a full pro audio spl setup and a top of the line pioneer touchscreen with 16 band eq was louder (duh!! But Sound quality was nowhere near this good), But I’m pretty happy with it, it’s more than loud enough. I needed to get out of my ear bursting phase anyways.

Knowing that, and knowing the the speaker specs that have been posted by billfitz and others on this forum, I question what the purpose of replacing the stock speakers is. People complain about the tweeters, and the woofers, but they keep up no problem. Its very clear that the issues that the stock system had were an underpowered amp that was being overdriven, causing speakers to distort, And crossovers that were a little Off.

I don’t see how replacing the speakers could ever do much at all for anybody, unless you got a way more powerful amp than either bimmertech or the up7. Even then, I’d question how much more capable they would be. I’m really glad I went with my gut and replaced the amp instead of speakers.
Hi mate

How does the 7up comoare with the bimmertech
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 03:15 PM   #278
RobTheBob
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Robthebob, I just used bimmertechs file to start with on my UP7. It looks to me like they all cross over okay, eqs and crossovers all were the same. I didn't see any real changes when i loaded it up to the other in demo, so I rolled with it and it worked great. Might have to tweak the Eq a bit though.
Thanks for letting me know. So you are saying that the Match UP 7BMW uses the exact same tune files as the BimmerTech PP82DSP. I do wonder though what needs to be done to get a PP82DSP file to work on the PP86DSP.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 01:14 AM   #279
JJFox
Rep

Not sure if they’re exactly the same, but you can upload the file of any amp on the program to any of them.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 07:23 AM   #280
flysmith
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive M-sport edition

Quote:

This would be a nice feature - exactly like the "Loudness" button found on 70s and 80s home stereo receivers (and I'm sure some car stereos). Bass and some midrange boost that yields fuller sound at low volume.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #281
sleeeper335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hey everyone, I just got my amp installed tonight and made sure the stock hifi tune was loaded(from the first link in this thread). It had the tune for ghost subs and bav speakers already on it, got it from my buddy.
For some reason it just sounds weird. Im not sure where the factory bass and treble settings should be, they were right in the center and the bass was way to much. I fooled around with these settings a bit and it sounds eh now with bass at 4 and the treble halfway with the fader two to the rear. It sounded better with the bav speaker tune in it but the speakers were just to overpowering to the bass. the 2 and 4 switches are up. Is there something I'm missing here or a better factory tune? I listen to everything but country, alternative music sounds way better than hiphop where the bass just seems artificial. The stereo almost sounded better with the factory amp but didnt get near as loud.

I do have a trunk sub and amp from my old mini, is there a tune i can use that with to kinda supplement the stock subs?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 10:17 PM   #282
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

You might want to contact support at BimmerTech and get their tune based on your car model- give that a go.

I recently installed a used PP82DSP in my F25 X3 SUV- amp came out of F31 3-Series wagon. B-Tech sent me tune for my SUV and it sounds quite good.

DIP sw's 2 and 4 ON are the highest gain settings- if bass is too much, might turn #4 to OFF.

You can download software from Audiotech-Fischer and load into laptop, connect to amp and do some tweaking yourself - will take some trial and error but might be way to go after you get car-specific basic tune installed.
Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 2
      11-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #283
fatboyj711
Rep
Drives: F36 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vithy View Post
foveon, thank you for your excellent tune file. My fev so far. I took your file and made some modification to integrate a rear trunk sub. All credit to you!!!

I have a questions. Are you using OEM speakers (Hifi) or BavSound Stage one speakers when you did your RTA measurements?

Thanks again.
Vithy
I've been using foveon's tune with my Hifi speakers for several months and upgraded to BavSound Stage 1 recently. I've tried several tunes posted in this thread since upgrading my speakers, including many BavSound-specific tunes, and his tune is still the best for me. Great job and thanks for sharing fovean!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 12:43 AM   #284
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

Quote:

The function you ask for is in Match UP 7BMW. Unfortunately it's only for channel F and G (underseat subwoofer). If you have additional subwoofer in the trunk using channel H (line out), it doesn't apply. Need to send an email to support to ask them to add in the option for channel H too. For those who are using Hifi option (676 or 676A), I strongly recommend you get the amp. You will be surprise how good the stock speaker is. Even the underseat woofer is better than I expected but for deep rumble, you still need extra subwoofer in your trunk. I install one in X3 G01.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 10:13 AM   #285
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by foveon View Post
Kind of late, but since no one else had it, I attempted this myself and matched as close to the helix match pc tool (3.x) reference curve as I could. Sounds pretty balanced. Otherwise, the f30 oem hifi tune provided here sounds half decent (I think the speaker locations and dimensions of the cabins should be close, minus the hatch but there are only 2 small speakers in the rear doors anyway). I used it as a base to do my own tuning of it.

This is for the F36 Grand Coupe with stock hifi 676 speakers and the bimmertech pp82 dsp amp. While mine is left-hand drive, I had the levels/timings match symmetrically to work with both LHD and RHD.

*Update* 9/4/17 Slightly adjusted center timing more and RTA'd/revised again; most likely the final revision and removing the "car centered tune" as this one has so much more hours for refinement after learning more. Also attaching the external sub file since devil84 requested it.

*Updated
1/16/18 I've been driving with the seat back further for smoother drives (my wife thought my driving was too jerky and aggressive before) so I've added some timing revision to as a new file
1/31/18 Removed the new file as the original still produces a more natural soundstage and better imaging. The original is my self-proclaimed universal stock speakers + bimmertech amp tune
Sorry for the dumb question, but a NEWB here. Bought the Bimmertech amp on black Friday sale. Installed as it came, thrilled at the changes, wanting a bit more. Mostly the volume is lacking comparatively to cars I have had in the past (E92 328i and E92M3). I am hoping I can install a tune with a bit more tweaking and higher gain to achieve more sound. That said, would this have any negative implications running in an f30? I cant imagine the dimensions are that far off for sound reverberations...?

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 10:54 AM   #286
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Have you adjusted the input sensitivity (gain) on the amp?
Appreciate 1