F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Just installed KERMA TDI tune 328D
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #1
DieselSport
BMW Convert
DieselSport's Avatar
83
Rep
189
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 328d
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Diamond Bar

iTrader: (0)

Just installed KERMA TDI tune 328D

I just received my flashed ECU from KERMA and installed it right away and went for a drive.

Initial thoughts, the car didn't feel much different from a stand still but where the tune really shines is in the higher end. Turbo lag is still there a bit but when it kicks in the power is very smooth and the car wants to pull strongly up until 4500 rpm or so. Whereas usually it would put you back in your seat on 1st gear only, now you fell being pulled back in 2nd and little in 3rd as well.

Driving around at low speeds in the city you probably wont feel it that much but i believe i will feel it more once i get it on the highway tonight. Going to be driving about 70 miles tonight so i will get to test it out properly and report back, but so far im happy with the much needed top end power.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 10:59 PM   #2
seahuston
New Member
5
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 328d xDrive
Join Date: May 2019
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Awesome! Looking forward to more of your feedback, I've been really curious about installing this tune after reading a few different reports.

Do you know if it affects the driving modes differently or is it a shift across the board?
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #3
Enabled
First Lieutenant
88
Rep
320
Posts

Drives: 328xd Wagon
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Let us know how it does on your long drive and after a few days with it. There are a few things it will learn on its own after 20+ miles.



Yes there are changes to the 3 different driving modes. Power max is still the same in all, but there has been lots of work to the driving modes, mostly in drivability and feel. Think of it as an "enthusiast's factory tune", where it's solid and safe like factory, but more power in all the right places.
__________________
-2014 328d Wagon 2WD, 8HP flash, self-tuned, 245hp/400ft-lbs.
Others
-E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg Modded. S52 Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2019, 06:44 PM   #4
DieselSport
BMW Convert
DieselSport's Avatar
83
Rep
189
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 328d
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Diamond Bar

iTrader: (0)

I have driven the car about 500 miles since the tune and this was the best modification i could have done to the car. The car has totally been transformed into something special. Driving is so much more rewarding and i look forward to my long commute now because i cant wait to drive my car on the highway.

To me it feels the power has almost doubled to be honest , doesnt matter how fast you are going, the car will pull tremendously. I definetly have to watch my throttle now because it can get from 70mph to 100mph in a instance without any fuss if you are not careful. Turbo lag has drastically been reduced and it puts you back in your seat during take offs. It is just better in all departments and i can hear the turbos a bit more with the windows down which i really love. I enjoy driving it in Sport+ with the ESC partially off.

Along with the tune, the Bilstein coilovers and the lightweight wheels and wider tires , the diesel sedan has become one of my favorite cars. I love every minute of driving. With the extra comfortable 18" wheels i feel i have the perfect balance of comfort and performance for a daily driver. I highly recommended KERMA and Bilstein in there respects. Very happy i went with them.

Appreciate 3
      05-15-2019, 11:02 PM   #5
Tonyt915
Private
Tonyt915's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
60
Posts

Drives: 14' 328D M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Itís very deceiving, I always have to be careful. When cruising on the hwy I run 80-90 without realizing. Also in the city I have to be really careful cause Iíll take off from a light and be doing 60 in a 35-40 but itís so smooth I dont notice
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2019, 08:45 AM   #6
n00bkiller944
Private First Class
52
Rep
188
Posts

Drives: '14 328d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselSport View Post
I have driven the car about 500 miles since the tune and this was the best modification i could have done to the car. The car has totally been transformed into something special. Driving is so much more rewarding and i look forward to my long commute now because i cant wait to drive my car on the highway.

To me it feels the power has almost doubled to be honest , doesnt matter how fast you are going, the car will pull tremendously. I definetly have to watch my throttle now because it can get from 70mph to 100mph in a instance without any fuss if you are not careful. Turbo lag has drastically been reduced and it puts you back in your seat during take offs. It is just better in all departments and i can hear the turbos a bit more with the windows down which i really love. I enjoy driving it in Sport+ with the ESC partially off.

Along with the tune, the Bilstein coilovers and the lightweight wheels and wider tires , the diesel sedan has become one of my favorite cars. I love every minute of driving. With the extra comfortable 18" wheels i feel i have the perfect balance of comfort and performance for a daily driver. I highly recommended KERMA and Bilstein in there respects. Very happy i went with them.
I really like those wheels. What are they?
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #7
Enabled
First Lieutenant
88
Rep
320
Posts

Drives: 328xd Wagon
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Apex EC-7?
They look incredibly good on it.

Wondering how a bright silver would look on the car.
__________________
-2014 328d Wagon 2WD, 8HP flash, self-tuned, 245hp/400ft-lbs.
Others
-E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg Modded. S52 Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2019, 05:35 PM   #8
DieselSport
BMW Convert
DieselSport's Avatar
83
Rep
189
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 328d
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Diamond Bar

iTrader: (0)

Yes , they are EC 7s in anthracite finish.

Bright silver always looks good and makes the wheels look bigger but they can look a bit bland / ordinary depending on what color your car is.

Last edited by DieselSport; 05-16-2019 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #9
victorr
Registered
2
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 328d
Join Date: May 2019
Location: glendora

iTrader: (0)

What mpgs are you getting street/freeway/combined and is the tune only in Sport mode?
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #10
DieselSport
BMW Convert
DieselSport's Avatar
83
Rep
189
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 328d
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Diamond Bar

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorr View Post
What mpgs are you getting street/freeway/combined and is the tune only in Sport mode?
No, the tune is not only in Sport mode. Actually the beauty of the tune is that now i can use Comfort mode while on the highway and the car is not underpowered like before. Before i would be in Sport / Sport + all the time but thanks to the tune Comfort mode is fun to drive now. My preferred driving mode is Sport + with the ESC off however, you really feel the power this way.

MPG has dropped from an average of around 43-44 mpg , to about 37 mpg. But i have been on the throttle WAY more then before.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 08:45 PM   #11
victorr
Registered
2
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 328d
Join Date: May 2019
Location: glendora

iTrader: (0)

Awesome - thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 09:56 PM   #12
DieselSport
BMW Convert
DieselSport's Avatar
83
Rep
189
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 328d
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Diamond Bar

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorr View Post
Awesome - thanks for the info!
no problem.

I dont usually put it in ECO mode but i decided to try it as i was cruising on the highway. I didnt see it at first but the car was turning about 800 RPM going 75 mph. I dont think i have ever seen the RPM go under 1000 while on the highway. I wonder if this is what the "Coasting" feature is of the ECO pro mode, or is it part of the tune ?

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 05:10 AM   #13
opinion914
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: F31 N47
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Orange County NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselSport View Post

I dont usually put it in ECO mode but i decided to try it as i was cruising on the highway. I didnt see it at first but the car was turning about 800 RPM going 75 mph. I dont think i have ever seen the RPM go under 1000 while on the highway. I wonder if this is what the "Coasting" feature is of the ECO pro mode, or is it part of the tune ?

You must have been off throttle at that point. That's the coasting feature in Eco basically disengaging the wheels from the engine allowing the engine to drop to idle. Won't happen with cruise control on.
Or you have that new 13speed tranny with 2x ovedrive.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2019, 02:05 PM   #14
DieselSport
BMW Convert
DieselSport's Avatar
83
Rep
189
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 328d
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Diamond Bar

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by opinion914 View Post
You must have been off throttle at that point. That's the coasting feature in Eco basically disengaging the wheels from the engine allowing the engine to drop to idle. Won't happen with cruise control on.
Or you have that new 13speed tranny with 2x ovedrive.
Thats right , i believe the tune added another few gears to the transmission lol .

Yeah cruise control was not on , i generally like to keep my RPMs around 2000-3000 for best power delivery, so i was a bit shocked to see under 1000. When coasting happens it a bit of a weird feeling at first then it feels kinda good
__________________
-------
2018 BMW 328d Mineral Grey / KERMA TDI Tune / Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers / Apex EC-7 - Falken Azenis FK510 Summer Tires
-------
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 04:59 AM   #15
seahuston
New Member
5
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 328d xDrive
Join Date: May 2019
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

The coasting is one of my favorite features on this car, I find myself in eco a fair amount just for this.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2019, 09:03 AM   #16
Experimental
Second Lieutenant
United_States
23
Rep
284
Posts

Drives: '14 328d M-sport Wagon
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canton, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahuston View Post
The coasting is one of my favorite features on this car, I find myself in eco a fair amount just for this.
I like it too, but I've been concerned about the added locking/unlocking of the drivetrain. Any thoughts on this adding to reliability issues?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 09:37 AM   #17
Enabled
First Lieutenant
88
Rep
320
Posts

Drives: 328xd Wagon
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

It's not locking and unlocking, but rather opening of a clutch pack, which opens during normal operation anyways.
I too like the ecopro mode, especially the milder AC which makes long roadtrips comfortable.
I dislike the auto start stop, but that can be dealt with.
__________________
-2014 328d Wagon 2WD, 8HP flash, self-tuned, 245hp/400ft-lbs.
Others
-E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg Modded. S52 Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST