F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Koni Active Red / Dinan Sway Bars
ARMA SPEED

06-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #1
Kaps335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Koni Active Red / Dinan Sway Bars

I have a '13 335i xDrive and I am trying to decide what combination to go with.

First I was thinking of just Dinan springs and sway bars, but I don't necessarily need/want the car dropped. A person I know says they like the previous Koni FSDs, which are now in the reds and seem to be new.

I definitely want to get rid of most of the body roll and I believe the stock suspension doesn't have enough bump stiffness. When hitting bumps, the car stays up too long.

If I am not mistaken, increasing the bump stiffness really requires different springs, so just doing shocks and sway bars is not likely going to solve my problem.

I know Dinan claims you don't need to replace the shocks, but I have seen mixed reviews about how much lower the car is. 3/4" doesn't seem too bad. I don't really know what the rebound is going to be like with just changing the springs. I'm not sure Reds are worth it since you can't adjust rebound. At least sway bars are adjustable.

Any recommendations? I don't want to spend a ton of money, but also don't want to install something that I will end up changing.
July 23rd - Dyno Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

I autox a 13 335 xdrive and they roll around a lot

you could just start with the bars and see how it feels. at least then moving forward, you'll know why you're buying these parts and what they are doing. Once you do the bars, I highly doubt you'll go back. I have the dinan rear bar and it made a significant difference.

The dinan bars are nice and can be dialled in. You will definitely
feel the difference. how much value they derive will be up to you.

It is very well known that koni does not build a whole lot of compression into their shocks which is ok if you plan on lowering but if not, steer clear of the FSDs.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 11:33 PM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
I installed the new Koni Active Red struts/shocks, Eibach spring kit and H&R sway bars on my 2015 335i xDrive. Awesome combination. Did exactly what I had hoped. Don't have time right now but will post details and photos.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2018, 08:52 AM   #4
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaps335i View Post
I have a '13 335i xDrive and I am trying to decide what combination to go with.

First I was thinking of just Dinan springs and sway bars, but I don't necessarily need/want the car dropped. A person I know says they like the previous Koni FSDs, which are now in the reds and seem to be new.

I definitely want to get rid of most of the body roll and I believe the stock suspension doesn't have enough bump stiffness. When hitting bumps, the car stays up too long.

If I am not mistaken, increasing the bump stiffness really requires different springs, so just doing shocks and sway bars is not likely going to solve my problem.

I know Dinan claims you don't need to replace the shocks, but I have seen mixed reviews about how much lower the car is. 3/4" doesn't seem too bad. I don't really know what the rebound is going to be like with just changing the springs. I'm not sure Reds are worth it since you can't adjust rebound. At least sway bars are adjustable.

Any recommendations? I don't want to spend a ton of money, but also don't want to install something that I will end up changing.
I'm going to be installing the Dinan swaybar on the front of mine, I already installed a Megan rear bar. You could definitely do the swaybars first to eliminate body roll but based on what you're looking for you will need springs and struts/shocks as well. Might as well do everything at once. I did lower mine about an inch with CA Tuned coilovers. I also installed the Powerflex Subframe Bushing Inserts on the rear to improve body roll.
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF

Last edited by zole2112; 08-03-2018 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 10:00 AM   #5
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

A big difference in the Dinan springs to the OEM is that Dinan's are linear and OEM is progressive. So OEM is soft at start then stiffen has it gets compressed. You'll get some stiffness there.

If you don't have EDC (adaptive suspension), Dinan now recommends Koni yellows with their springs (https://www.dinancars.com/product/d1...335i%20xDrive/). The OEM shocks are bouncy.

I thought of sways myself but i didn't want to deal with dropping the subframe in terms of time and cost. I contacted Dinan before I put springs and shockware and they recommended those before sways

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #6
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
A big difference in the Dinan springs to the OEM is that Dinan's are linear and OEM is progressive. So OEM is soft at start then stiffen has it gets compressed. You'll get some stiffness there.

If you don't have EDC (adaptive suspension), Dinan now recommends Koni yellows with their springs (https://www.dinancars.com/product/d1...335i%20xDrive/). The OEM shocks are bouncy.

I thought of sways myself but i didn't want to deal with dropping the subframe in terms of time and cost. I contacted Dinan before I put springs and shockware and they recommended those before sways
Crazy that now dinan recommends koni yellows with those springs when before they claimed they were matched to stock non-dhp lol!!

I put on the springs and bump stops last year and it made the car slightly less bouncy in some ways but made the car ride worse in other ways. For example it exposes just how piss poor the stock shocks and struts are, specifically the rear as they are so soft the stiffer linear springs would cause spring oscillation at highway speeds even on smooth roads which made for a bouncy feeling in the seat. I installed koni yellow rear shocks a couple months after as the ride was unbearable. Now I need to address the front as it becomes unsettled more noticeably in lower speeds on crappy roads which makes the front end feel loose and getting on the throttle after some rough pavement the car just feels unsettled if that makes sense.

Moral of the story... don't install these springs or any springs on stock dampers. Don't bother with fsd as they are not for lower springs that is what the koni yellows are made for.

Question is why they hell are koni yellow struts so overpriced for this car????? Especially from dinan lol @ $454 each wtf
      08-08-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Crazy that now dinan recommends koni yellows with those springs when before they claimed they were matched to stock non-dhp lol!!

I put on the springs and bump stops last year and it made the car slightly less bouncy in some ways but made the car ride worse in other ways. For example it exposes just how piss poor the stock shocks and struts are, specifically the rear as they are so soft the stiffer linear springs would cause spring oscillation at highway speeds even on smooth roads which made for a bouncy feeling in the seat. I installed koni yellow rear shocks a couple months after as the ride was unbearable. Now I need to address the front as it becomes unsettled more noticeably in lower speeds on crappy roads which makes the front end feel loose and getting on the throttle after some rough pavement the car just feels unsettled if that makes sense.

Moral of the story... don't install these springs or any springs on stock dampers. Don't bother with fsd as they are not for lower springs that is what the koni yellows are made for.

Question is why they hell are koni yellow struts so overpriced for this car????? Especially from dinan lol @ $454 each wtf
i don't think many ppl buy koni shocks so that's what keeps the price high.

When i talked to Dinan a couple years back, they were testing koni yellows already so they knew the OEM shocks weren't good enough but they weren't done testing to start selling them. it's like how they thought the stock EDC wasn't good enough on it's settings so they put out shockware. They say the springs are compatible but i don't recall saying they're match to it.

Based on what Pobst said (https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/...port-update-7/) about a bouncy nose, i would've focused on the front end first but surprised you didn't do all 4 at once. It's really interesting how so many 3 series reviews seem to neglect mentioning a bouncy nose.

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0