F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Side mirror removal and replacement
GetBMWParts

10-31-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
Fthreezerooo
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mineral Gray L328i

Exclamation Side mirror removal and replacement

Hi guys. Would anyone know how to remove the side view mirror on an f30? And also the least inexpensive place I could find a replacement unit.

At first glace I though I just need a new mirror cap, but after a closer look i think I may need a whole new unit I attached some pics to show what I'm dealing with. Maybe someone with more expertise has some different advice.

I'm all ears. Hope someone can help.

Name:  pic1.jpg
Views: 19800
Size:  105.6 KB

Name:  pic8.jpg
Views: 16729
Size:  105.6 KB

Name:  pic2.jpg
Views: 22973
Size:  107.3 KB

Name:  pic3.jpg
Views: 17339
Size:  58.0 KB

Name:  pic4.jpg
Views: 16955
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  pic6.jpg
Views: 17184
Size:  73.7 KB

Name:  pic7.jpg
Views: 17231
Size:  108.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 08:35 AM   #2
russ97
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i 2015 M4

Hi,

I was able to replace the side mirror on my F30 by purchasing a replacement on eBay.

I did not have to remove the entire door panel but just the molding by the mirror, where the tweeter speaker is, and that gave me access to the three long torx screws. I could pop the molding off by hand.

Replacing the mirror was no problem, but I am currently having a programming issue with the new mirror and I believe I might need a dealer to finish the job for me.

If anyone has any programming advice or workarounds let me know.

Thanks,
Russ
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
Fthreezerooo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ97 View Post
Hi,

I was able to replace the side mirror on my F30 by purchasing a replacement on eBay.

I did not have to remove the entire door panel but just the molding by the mirror, where the tweeter speaker is, and that gave me access to the three long torx screws. I could pop the molding off by hand.

Replacing the mirror was no problem, but I am currently having a programming issue with the new mirror and I believe I might need a dealer to finish the job for me.

If anyone has any programming advice or workarounds let me know.

Thanks,
Russ
Thanks for this information. I was really nervous that I would have to remove the door panel, which would increa$$$e the labor time.

Can I ask how much you paid for your replacement unit? And what programming issues are you having? It's very likely that I will run into the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 12:11 PM   #4
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I had damage done by some ass in parking lot and needed to replace the turn light and the piece of plastic around the mirror as well as the piece of plastic that goes under the mirror. I got my parts from getbmwparts.com They have schematic pictures so I could figure out what I needed to replace. They also sell a complete unit but that was expensive. My motors and several parts were not damaged so it was just under $100 for 3 parts.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
Fthreezerooo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
I had damage done by some ass in parking lot and needed to replace the turn light and the piece of plastic around the mirror as well as the piece of plastic that goes under the mirror. I got my parts from getbmwparts.com They have schematic pictures so I could figure out what I needed to replace. They also sell a complete unit but that was expensive. My motors and several parts were not damaged so it was just under $100 for 3 parts.
You my friend are a life saver!! Were you able to do it yourself? It looks like the plastic components essentially bolt on to the motor to create the housing and it looks like the back mirror cover just snaps on and off for easy customization.. is this true?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 11:04 PM   #6
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/ is in your neck of the woods & has competitive pricing. Check their online prices & see if you can pick them up to avoid shipping charges.
You can use realoem.com or bmwfans.info to find the part numbers you need.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #7
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I wasn't sure how to start but your mirror is already way more opened up then mine was. I watched a few you tube videos and got some hints. Try this one:

There are a few simple tips on the video that will help. Getting it apart in the correct order was harder then getting it back together.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 10:13 PM   #8
mjeffreson
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw i3s

I had a similar repair for the door mirror of a BMW i3s with parts from GetBMWParts. Sequence is:
1. Remove mirror glass by adjusting the glass inwards as far as possible then carefully levering off the glass using a plastic lever (outer edge and above and below the outer edge, do not lever on the window side of the mirror as the heating connections are in this area and you may damage these). Disconnect the leads connected to the back of the glass (you may need to use a small blade and lever gently to get these to release).
2. Remove the painted mirror cowl by squeezing the clips exposed by removal of the mirror (3 clips, you will need to pull the upper cowl while squeezing the clips together and pushing these to release the cowl)
3. Remove the mirror motor by removing the central torx screw and then releasing the clips where the motor snaps into the diecast aluminium mirror frame behind (two clipping points will be visible, push the plastic inwards carefully while pulling the motor out from the mirror glass side)
4. Remove the mirror frame and lower mirror housing by removing the silver and black torx screws that join the frame to the die cast frame (silver screws) and the frame and lower housing together (black torx screws).
5. Remove the indicator lamp (it is held in place by the lower housing and frame) and unplug the lead (there is no need to access connectors behind the door card, there is a plug directly to the indicator lamp with a locking clip that needs to be gently lifted).
6. Reassemble in reverse order.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 07:45 PM   #9
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

The online repair manual might help you. Good luck! https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 05:28 AM   #10
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
You don't need an entire new mirror to fix the damage shown.

For the front part of the housing that is clearly broken you would need the 'Mirror Glass Support' (not expensive) - see example below:

If your bottom housing is missing you would also need 'Housing Lower Section' (also not expensive) as below:

And if you need the 'Mirror Cover-Primed' you could go with this + painting, or look for used on forum for <$$

The link below goes to RealOEM just as an example of the individual parts diagram. You would need to go there & put in the specific details for your car for exact P/N's

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_8486
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
fe7565552.50