F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Active Autowerke Active 8 tune review - thumbs up!
Extreme Powerhouse

09-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
blakei
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport Estoril Blue

Active Autowerke Active 8 tune review - thumbs up!

Hey all, I decided to do small Labor Day weekend upgrade to my '13 F30 N26. Worked with Mike at Extreme Powerhouse (mike@x-ph.com) to get the unit, and he kindly clarified it works on N26 even though the tune unit has N20 marked on it.

What can I say - this tune is awesome! Comfort mode is almost drivable now, although the annoying shift-to-a-high-gear-as-fast-as-possible-for-fuel-economy doesn't go away. But power is much more what Comfort mode should have been from the dealer.

Sport mode is fantastic. WAY more power off the line, frequently getting traction control flicker and some tire chirp/squeal around corners. There is actually some reasonable pushed-into-seat feeling now where stock didn't have the same. Definitely much, much quicker and very fun to drive. My only other mod is an AA axel-back exhaust. Have an Injen CAI on order to install in a week or two.

I've done a track day before with full stock and definitely lacked power and pick up coming out of corners, and definitely think this tune will improve that.

Below are a few photos of the install. A few notes:
* I took out the airbox to get to the camshaft sensor. I think that was a tip in another thread here, and it made it much easier to remove the sensor.
* The loom does seem a bit short, at least for the MAF cable. It seems possible to only route it behind the oil filler, and it is still tight across the engine bay. Other cables have plenty of length.
* I routed the boost and manifold pressure cables around the back of the foam pad under the cover. There's a nice groove that they seemed to follow.
* The instructions didn't indicate where to connect the power leads... couldn't find this anywhere. Finally found on a youtube video a 2-second glimpse of where to install them (photo below). It seems awkward as the Y on the loom wants to "go forward" and where I connected them it routes backward... would love to where others connected them. Updating the instructions would be good too.

Overall, a great tune, really enjoying it.

Overall route, yellow zip ties show tune loom:

Removing the sensor latches:

How the sensor piggyback looks - seem better quality than stock:

Camshaft sensor way at the bottom:

Where I connected the power leads. This is under the cover next to the tune box. Used a volt-meter to test a few things, and this post had power, and connected negative lead to the bolt on the top of the strut tower. I think there must be a better place to connect but haven't found it...
Appreciate 2
BunkerJ1032.00
pokerface429.50