F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Anyone's fog lights come on when auto is on? I have one come on!
Extreme Powerhouse

07-16-2015, 03:15 PM   #23
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

They also (or at least mine do) automatically come on when you SHIFT in reverse. But I coded my, I didn't get them from factory

Last edited by Adamr916; 07-17-2015 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #24
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
You are mixing two seperate systems.

The adaptive lights (we get the full month over here) are amazing, fully magic lights.

BMW and a number of other manufacturers have went low budget and just use the fog lights.

You don't specifically need adaptive for the fogs to cone on then you turn the wheel on most cars.

Fog lights for cornering lights are bargain basement - simple.

Other manufacturers do it far better than BMW in this respect..
The systems work together, my adaptive headlights swivel and then the fog lights come on to provide further illumination.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ng_lights.html

Quote:
Cornering lights provide additional illumination of the area to the side of the vehicle, making night-time parking and turning safer.

Cornering lights compliment the functionality of Adaptive Headlights. While Adaptive Headlights provide superior illumination of curves when driving at normal speeds, cornering lights give you better lighting when carrying out low-speed manoeuvres: parking, turning into a driveway, u-turns and taking extremely winding roads, for example.

To provide this additional light, the fog lamps are fitted with integrated swivelling reflectors; alternatively, the headlights are equipped with an additional lamp. When the indicator is activated at speeds below 40 km/h, these lights illuminate an area to the side of the vehicle, up to 80° of the direction of travel.

After the corner is taken, the cornering lights dim and extinguish automatically. Cornering lights also facilitate safe reversing: when reverse gear is selected, both the left and right lights illuminate the area around the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 12:01 PM   #25
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamr916 View Post
They also (or at least mine do) automatically come on when you shit in reverse. But I coded my, I didn't get them from factory
I lol'd when I read this. How do you do that?!

On a related note, that's interesting. Didn't know they would turn on when reversing. Not like it matters for me though, I don't have them anyways.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #26
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Lol, damn auto correct

They turn on when I put it in reverse, and turn back of when I put it in drive
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 04:40 PM   #27
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Arrow View Post
Don't worry, OP. I thought I had a fog light out when I saw the reflection of my car at a turn, with only the one light illuminated.

Another small, but very useful feature that reminds me why I don't buy Chevy products anymore.

When my GC proves that it can withstand the abuse that I can throw at it, I might give that comment a nod..but after 19yrs of beating on my GM, 150 1/4 mile track passes, mods, WOT blasts, burnouts, ..you know..FUN..the thing still runs like a beast and doesn't burn oil. Leak a little, maybe ..but it doesn't burn it. This thing is 'Like a Rock'. I haven't even cracked the valve covers on the car. EVER. Parts replacement..of course, the most being a new transmission after 15yrs of abuse. It's not likely I'll beat on my BMW this bad..but there certainly are GM products out there that are worthwhile.
      07-17-2015, 05:25 PM   #28
Golden Arrow
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 430i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave
Quote:
Don't worry, OP. I thought I had a fog light out when I saw the reflection of my car at a turn, with only the one light illuminated.

Another small, but very useful feature that reminds me why I don't buy Chevy products anymore.

When my GC proves that it can withstand the abuse that I can throw at it, I might give that comment a nod..but after 19yrs of beating on my GM, 150 1/4 mile track passes, mods, WOT blasts, burnouts, ..you know..FUN..the thing still runs like a beast and doesn't burn oil. Leak a little, maybe ..but it doesn't burn it. This thing is 'Like a Rock'. I haven't even cracked the valve covers on the car. EVER. Parts replacement..of course, the most being a new transmission after 15yrs of abuse. It's not likely I'll beat on my BMW this bad..but there certainly are GM products out there that are worthwhile.
Owner of a C5 Corvette here. I'll always buy Corvettes, but not Chevy's "normal" cars. BMW's attention to detail, and handy features like the fog light thing have spoiled me.
2003 330xi (Forever in my heart )
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #29
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Owner of a C5 Corvette here. I'll always buy Corvettes, but not Chevy's "normal" cars. BMW's attention to detail, and handy features like the fog light thing have spoiled me.
The 'suncoat' windshield on the car was a pretty cool (and extra) feature along with the autodimming rear view mirror. Seems to resist rock chips better than my 2015 GC. I've got like 5 'hits' (small, but a few sand grain sized chips in the glass ) I hate California freeways. 2300 miles and I'll probably have to replace the glass before 10000 at this rate.

The rest of the car..not very high tech like the Bimmer...but I'm comparing a 1996 to a 2015 so it's expected. That said, I'd certainly buy another BMW 'something' in the future.
      12-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #30
55/Rad
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 XDrive 35i

God, I love the internet. I experienced this "feature" last night pulling into a parking space in front of a convenience store with reflective windows. I panicked as I swore there was something wrong with my 2 week old (to me) X1. Having come over from Audi world and the fun of constantly dealing with electrical issues, I was very relieved to find this thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #31
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
You guys make it sound like this futuristic technology, but should i remind you that Buicks from last millenium already had this feature of lighting up the side
The Tucker had a headlight that aimed into the turn in 1948.
Appreciate 1
tex26702400.50
      03-01-2019, 11:14 PM   #32
Cherry2.0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

I know this is an old thread but, I've had my car for about 2 months now and it seems like every day I learn something new. I seriously thought I had a fog light out. Nope, just the car doing what it is supposed to do.
Appreciate 2
      03-02-2019, 12:27 AM   #33
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry2.0 View Post
Nope, just the car doing what it is supposed to do.
Exactly. Mind you, reading some of the OCD rage in some of the other posts is quite amusing.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:34 PM   #34
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterPhilip View Post
The fog lights double as turning lights. When the wheel is turned past a certain point the direction the wheel is turned's fog light will illuminate.
Thank you. Did not know this
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 09:09 AM   #35
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

Last night pulling out of the garage (turned the wheel at low speed) my wife was like, "you have a fog light out." She was bending over looking at them and I moved the wheels back and forth and she was amazed (doesn't take much). Thought for the longest time when I first got the car that I had one intermittently out.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #36
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCarNut View Post
Quote:

Ditto for my 2004 C5 Corvette (Chevy product). I had 140,000 mi on it when I traded it in for my 2017 440i convertible. Biggest mistake I ever made. In my 13 years of ownership of that ' Chevy product', I never had one issue with this "exotic" Chevrolet; I changed oil every 3k mi, replaced tires, had a brake job, and needed a new thermostat at 5k mi. Hope my BMW is as trustworthy, tho I doubt it. I have 13k mi on it and I need new tires, don't know about brakes yet. Oh, and I did not have to go and get 'Corvette oil', 'Corvette window washer fluid', etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 02:17 AM   #37
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

This has been so annoying for me as well.. I got pulled over because a cop thought I had a missing fog light and I had to explain to him that's just the way the car is.. smh
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #38
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

I had the same scare after I got my F32 and looked at the reflection of only one fog light being lit up, I thought there was some fault but soon found out it's a feature, aids in corners especially during parking(low speeds)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 03:52 PM   #39
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post
This has been so annoying for me as well.. I got pulled over because a cop thought I had a missing fog light and I had to explain to him that's just the way the car is.. smh
What if you did have a fog light out? How is it illegal to have a light out that isn't required in the first place? Was it the end of the month?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #40
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
Ditto for my 2004 C5 Corvette (Chevy product). I had 140,000 mi on it when I traded it in for my 2017 440i convertible. Biggest mistake I ever made. In my 13 years of ownership of that ' Chevy product', I never had one issue with this "exotic" Chevrolet; I changed oil every 3k mi, replaced tires, had a brake job, and needed a new thermostat at 5k mi. Hope my BMW is as trustworthy, tho I doubt it. I have 13k mi on it and I need new tires, don't know about brakes yet. Oh, and I did not have to go and get 'Corvette oil', 'Corvette window washer fluid', etc.
Was that an LS1? The LS motors are pretty reliable in general. I have a Chevy SS sedan with an LS3 and it's a stout motor. However, it's not really a fair comparison. The B58 in your BMW definitely makes more average power over the rev range than the LS1. It has a higher and flatter torque curve. It's more fuel efficient (car weight and aero notwithstanding), and it's also far more refined. I'm hoping you also changed some more fluids than just the motor oil after 140k miles. If not, the second owner of that car will be in for a surprise.

Tires are irrelevant to the car, obviously. And there are plenty of motor oils and washer fluids you can buy. I do most of my own work and I find that many OEM BMW fluids are competitively priced to aftermarket stuff. I buy European formula Castrol and I know of at least three different motor oils you can buy at Walmart that are fully compatible and supported by BMW.

If you find a good independent shop or do your own work, and do regular maintenance, owning a BMW really isn't that bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 08:25 AM   #41
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
Was that an LS1? The LS motors are pretty reliable in general. I have a Chevy SS sedan with an LS3 and it's a stout motor. However, it's not really a fair comparison. The B58 in your BMW definitely makes more average power over the rev range than the LS1. It has a higher and flatter torque curve. It's more fuel efficient (car weight and aero notwithstanding), and it's also far more refined. I'm hoping you also changed some more fluids than just the motor oil after 140k miles. If not, the second owner of that car will be in for a surprise.

Tires are irrelevant to the car, obviously. And there are plenty of motor oils and washer fluids you can buy. I do most of my own work and I find that many OEM BMW fluids are competitively priced to aftermarket stuff. I buy European formula Castrol and I know of at least three different motor oils you can buy at Walmart that are fully compatible and supported by BMW.

If you find a good independent shop or do your own work, and do regular maintenance, owning a BMW really isn't that bad.
Sorry, of course I changed other fluids, I.e., transmission, brake, etc., as required. the car was maintained perfectly. I was just trying to point out that "GM" products are not all bad, in fact some are pretty darn good.
Appreciate 0