F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Very Basic Head Unit, What are my options to upgrade
ARMA SPEED

09-18-2021, 05:28 AM   #1
Pete763
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d

Question Very Basic Head Unit, What are my options to upgrade

Hi all, just wondering if all you knowledgeable people can assist me in the best way to have bluetooth connectivity and Apple carplay. I have searched through the threads (there's a lot of them) and not managed to find such a poor functioning head unit like mine.

I have just purchased a 2016 330d (build Nov 2015) and have very limited features on the head unit.

The head unit seems very basic and even though the sticker shows bluetooth I have no phone connectivity options. Nothing shows up on iDrive only Aux and CD.

I have checked using Bimmercode and it shows it is apparently a HU_NBT. Does this have bluetooth built in or does it need a combox? There is no Combox in the boot next to the fusebox or showing on Bimmercode under Control Units

There doesn't appear to be a separate microphone in roof for handsfree calls, I looked under the centre light and appears to be 3 "microphones/speakers" but not sure if that's the alarm sensors.

Centre armrest only has an AUX socket, no USB. Can I add one to this unit?

The head unit is a Magneti Morelli CI 6820546 and on the sticker there is a bluetooth symbol. (see pic)

There are very limited connections on the rear of head unit (see pic)

So what are my options regarding upgrading this? Am I better off replacing or adding to it?

Can I add an MMI box to this head unit to give me voice calls and apple carplay.

Would I need to add a microphone for calls or would it use phone mic through MMI?

Would a new headunit be better? do they have built in bluetooth? would I still need to add a microphone?

I'm guessing this would also then need coding to my VIN (not sure how much that costs) Carplay would also need adding at another cost with this I presume.

Apologies for all the questions, I've tried to condense my problem into 1 thread.

P.S. Sorry for picture size, not sure how to make smaller or show as thumbnails yet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 02:22 PM   #2
Sanjayo1
Private
Rep
Drives: 1 series

If I were you, I would replace for an android head unit. Plenty of threads about on Android 10. However, if you wait a week or two, there are other people trying out the new Android 11 units and will be able to report back on the other threads.

Might be worth going for a 10 or even 12 inch version. That will give you both Apple and Android capability. However, I'm not much of an Apple fan, I would just use the Android head unit.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 02:07 PM   #3
Pete763
Rep

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this please?

I know there's quite a few questions in there but any help would be appreciated.

How hard is it to add a new HU and have the VIN coded. Seen some on auction sites that comes as a complete set with your VIN already coded. All I'd need to add is an external Mic as I don't have one and USB socket as I don't have one of them either.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 05:23 AM   #4
Wilko84
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete763 View Post

I know there's quite a few questions in there but any help would be appreciated.

How hard is it to add a new HU and have the VIN coded. Seen some on auction sites that comes as a complete set with your VIN already coded. All I'd need to add is an external Mic as I don't have one and USB socket as I don't have one of them either.
Hi Pete

My dad has the NBT idrive system in his 2 series with no navigation. I installed the following for him.

Road Top Wireless Carplay Retrofit Kit Decoder, Wireless Android Auto Module Box for BMW NBT System such as 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Series X1 X3 X4 X5 X6 F15 F16 F25 F26 F48 F20 F22 F30 F32 F07 F10 F06 F12 F01 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B084R9SV...TDDVG6Q4KAR2CN

This was able to bring across his apps from his phone for navigation, Bluetooth streaming and messaging apps etc. Very easy to fit and use.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Steve
Appreciate 1
fe7565552.50
      09-23-2021, 07:14 AM   #5
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete763 View Post

A other option may also be to uprgade to an Entry Navigation Evo (enavevo), the Headunit itself does go for cheap money and have alot of features.

But Basicly it depends on what are the features you have to want to have, and which are only optional nice to have.
So to give you a good recommendation you need to give us your definitive wishlist

Kri
Appreciate 1
bpv230.00
      09-23-2021, 01:22 PM   #6
Pete763
Rep

Cheers for the replies.

I've looked into the MMI boxes and also retrofitting a newer head unit which will mean coding with the VIN.

I think for now I might just try add the USB socket under the armrest as I don't have one and I believe the spare white socket at rear of my HU in 2nd picture is for that. I'll see how I get on with connecting my phone through USB for music and then reassess.

Don't really need to use car for phone calls as my phone connects to my bone anchored hearing aid and my calls go directly into my head.

Thanks all for taking the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 11:12 AM   #7
Fizzy Duck
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Depending on how much you want to spend, you could get the NBT Evo retrofitted with ID6. You'll have fullscreen CarPlay.

This is something I recently had done.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 05:16 PM   #8
Pete763
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzy Duck View Post
Depending on how much you want to spend, you could get the NBT Evo retrofitted with ID6. You'll have fullscreen CarPlay.

This is something I recently had done.
Cheers, how much would that cost if you don't mind me asking. I know I'd need to add a few things like microphone, USB but they aren't too expensive to fit.
Appreciate 0