F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Drivetrain malfunction (P052B)
proTUNING Freaks

11-25-2021, 08:37 PM   #1
EthanL21
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328I F30

Drivetrain malfunction (P052B)

Hey guys!

So I recently got a drivetrain malfunction on my F30 328I, took it to get scanned and got the code P052B "Cold Start "A" Camshaft Position Timing Over-Retarded Bank 1" Of course it had to happen the day I was going on vacation. Research had only gotten me so far so I said screw it and ordered a new camshaft position sensor. After further research and watching FCP Euros video on N20 diagnostics, I discovered that it is most likely NOT the sensor but the VANOS Solenoid Sensor. Both issues share mostly the same symptoms: rough idle, poor gas milage, etc. The last option for me is to take it to the dealership. I have already done plenty of DIY work on my car so replacing something like the cam pos sensor or the VANOS wont be an issue, but how do I know if it is either of those issues or something more serious. I have only driven BMW for about a year and need help finding a solution.

Thanks in advance!
-Ethan
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 12:28 AM   #2
JWhite001
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Hi there, I also macys insite had a problem with my BMW i8 and got it fixed at a nearby mypascoconnect mechanic shop. Thank you.

Last edited by JWhite001; 12-10-2021 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 05:18 AM   #3
LosmannF30
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanL21 View Post
Hey guys!

So I recently got a drivetrain malfunction on my F30 328I, took it to get scanned and got the code P052B "Cold Start "A" Camshaft Position Timing Over-Retarded Bank 1" Of course it had to happen the day I was going on vacation. Research had only gotten me so far so I said screw it and ordered a new camshaft position sensor. After further research and watching FCP Euros video on N20 diagnostics, I discovered that it is most likely NOT the sensor but the VANOS Solenoid Sensor. Both issues share mostly the same symptoms: rough idle, poor gas milage, etc. The last option for me is to take it to the dealership. I have already done plenty of DIY work on my car so replacing something like the cam pos sensor or the VANOS wont be an issue, but how do I know if it is either of those issues or something more serious. I have only driven BMW for about a year and need help finding a solution.

Thanks in advance!
-Ethan
Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanL21 View Post
Hey guys!

Thanks in advance!
-Ethan
I literally just got the drivetrain malfunction message come on. I ordered the OBD needed to use with bimmerlink and hopefully I can pull the codes to see what's going on. Scheduled to be delivered today. My car is a '15 328i 76k miles with a 6MT transmission.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 09:32 AM   #4
utjeffc
Rep
Drives: 2016 JB 328i

How did your situation end up, Ethan?

I just got this code on my 2016 328i with an N26 this morning. Cold and rainy, with no unusual timing chain failure sounds and wasn’t really running particularly rough. I cleared the code and took it around the block without it returning.
Appreciate 0