F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > B58 DIY oil change - filter disintegrated...
GetBMWParts

06-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #67
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Glad that it worked out eventually. What a nightmare resulting from what should have been a simple oil change!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #68
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Nice one, that garage did you a solid there. Glad it's all done and we all learnt something,

I wonder why Synter may have not done the correct servicing though? Surely they are making a rod for their own back if the car gets damaged internally and they have to fix it under warranty?

You'd also think that in this day and age of traceability and transparency that everything would be logged and documented so that the parent company can see that their franchising garages are doing the correct job...otherwise they may be paying the garages for work which could be avoided under BMW warranty.

Be interesting if anyone knows if / how they log the parts used to service each car? Seems pretty simple in this day and age, via electronic scanning of bar codes etc on the parts :
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 01:46 AM   #69
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

OP, when you removed the filter originally, was it an easy pull out? Or did you feel the paper filter rip?
Maybe whoever did the Dealer oil change originally ripped the filter, and just put it back!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 03:24 AM   #70
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Glad you got it resolved. Good indys are worth their weight in gold
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 03:43 AM   #71
Sheepy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition

Never heard of this problem until seeing this thread, glad you got it sorted in the end. It's got me worried now though as mines booked in on Friday with the dealers for its first oil service, gone for the fast track option also so we shall see if it's done in the max 90 mins claimed or if it's like your case, might be 90 hours! £343 for the privilege, think this will be the cars first & last trip to the dealers for servicing & back to my trusted local Indy in the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 03:44 AM   #72
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
Glad you got it resolved. Good indys are worth their weight in gold
Couldn't agree more
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 03:57 AM   #73
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Interestingly, and not to hijack your thread, but had the wife's Z4 in for an inspection service at the weekend at my independent. In looking at the last oil service I realised that the i drive said another 16K miles to oil change or in 12 months time.

I thought that this must be an error but it transpires that BMW have altered the oil service interval on the 6 pot N52 petrol engine in her car to 26K miles or 2 years !! In my book that is just bonkers, so they changed the oil & all filters while they were at it.

So may be the near 30K mileage on the OP's was seeming acceptable to BMW?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 04:16 AM   #74
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Glad to hear that you have got it sorted.

Given the date on the filter, and the assurances from BMW that they would service the car for you, I'd involve BMW UK as well as making a complaint to the dealer principle. Like others have said, I do not believe that a two year old filter was sitting on the parts shelf and was used as a 'new' replacement.

Bothe the filter and the oil look to have been in the car for far longer than 9,000 miles.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 04:40 AM   #75
Abrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY18 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by willjames View Post
Nice one, that garage did you a solid there. Glad it's all done and we all learnt something,

I wonder why Synter may have not done the correct servicing though? Surely they are making a rod for their own back if the car gets damaged internally and they have to fix it under warranty?

You'd also think that in this day and age of traceability and transparency that everything would be logged and documented so that the parent company can see that their franchising garages are doing the correct job...otherwise they may be paying the garages for work which could be avoided under BMW warranty.

Be interesting if anyone knows if / how they log the parts used to service each car? Seems pretty simple in this day and age, via electronic scanning of bar codes etc on the parts :
It just as easy for a tech guy to scan a barcode and put it in his tool box to sell on eBay for £15 for extra pocket money instead of putting it in to the car
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 06:32 AM   #76
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by willjames View Post

It just as easy for a tech guy to scan a barcode and put it in his tool box to sell on eBay for £15 for extra pocket money instead of putting it in to the car
Maybe, you never know. But these organisations are supposedly professional and its surely more hassle than its worth getting investigated for not doing what we are paying them for...my major service was last week, got me thinking now, I might check the Air Filter, to check its new as they claim!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 06:52 AM   #77
SW6Steve
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Good you have it sorted with someone you can now trust!
Do all six cylinder engines use the same filter?
Be interesting to hear from anyone who has changed the filter themselves. Easy or pain job?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 07:15 AM   #78
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW6Steve View Post
Good you have it sorted with someone you can now trust!
Do all six cylinder engines use the same filter?
Be interesting to hear from anyone who has changed the filter themselves. Easy or pain job?
provided the filter isn't over 2 years old and seized in the housing.... it's a dead easy job. You just need a decent socket set with an extension bar and an angled joint to unscrew the oil filter cap.

The only other thing i'd say is, if you fancy doing it yourself

- my 2 jack method for lifting the car up was a total pain in the ass, and i could only just about get the car up high enough to sit on ratchet jack stands at the lowest level, coz the height of the jack i was using in the centre couldn't go high enough.

Definitely worth investing in 1 decent low profile long jack that has good height, that can reach the centre jacking point.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #79
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XD

Depending how close to the garage you bought this from, I would suggest you take it up with them, they genuinely might not know the techs are not doing their jobs properly.

I purchased a motorcycle last year that the guy had "serviced" before i bought it stating he had done oil and filter, I left it a year than did my own to find the date written by the tech who serviced it before on the oil filter as a year before I bought it.

I didn't understand why he would lie over a £6 filter though, i don't see the point, he could have sold it un-serviced and I would have just done the change myself earlier..

clearly a knob.
      06-18-2019, 08:09 AM   #80
JoeD.
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive

Maybe a small piece of tubing taped onto a shop vac.
Use the vacuum to pull up the pieces.

Edit: Never mind I see you got it.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 10:56 AM   #81
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
This CBS stuff is really just a bunch of estimates as the local dealer service guy confirmed to me last week.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #82
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335dx F31 Shadow EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
This CBS stuff is really just a bunch of estimates as the local dealer service guy confirmed to me last week.
I agree with that.
I've had the oil changed on mine early at 9k, the car was saying change in another 12k, it's now got new oil and (hopefully) filter but I specifically asked them not to reset any computers as I'm going to change it again when the car says, which is in...……..12k
      08-12-2020, 07:54 AM   #83
BlueandWhite
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d (2016)

Is this issue still unsolved and is is specifically a B58 problem?
I am driving a diesel engine (B57) so i hope it is not applicable for me (at least it did not happen in the last 150.000 km) but just to be sure.
Does anyone know if this is specifically for the B58 engine?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 08:56 AM   #84
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

gippy Did you do an oil flush after you fixed the issue? My concern that you could have still lost a lot of crap out of the filter when it ripped apart.

Good resolution though, nice idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 09:54 AM   #85
BlueandWhite
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d (2016)

SW6Steve as far as i understood it is the same filter in all the 6-cylinders thats why i was asking if the issue is only on gasoline B58.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 06:28 PM   #86
Davetwilliams
Rep
Drives: 340i touring

So I did my oil change on 2016 340i this weekend. The filter and oil had done 2 years since last changed by the dealer. For me, same thing happened to me - the filter sheared whilst initially unscrewing the top cap. I did it slowly with warm engine. Being careful and knowing about it didn’t help...the filter element was 2018 BMW (UFI) so if they’ve not ‘fixed’ the issue it seems.

Fix - well I followed the method from OPs garage. Used a scribe heated on a camping stove to pilot and then fit a self tapper. With a pair of angleD needle nose pliers I managed to get under the screw and lift out (having already practiced the pilot hole and screw on the lid of the removed portion of the filter.

I will be changing every 12 months from now on.
Attached Images

Last edited by Davetwilliams; 08-17-2020 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: Add pics
Appreciate 4
M140_BCS237.50
Yawn0755.00
gippy230.00
NISFAN3488.50
      08-18-2020, 02:11 PM   #87
Pizzaeatingking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VAG

Here's my 8000 mile old filter for comparison. It came out no bother at my mates garage.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 10:41 PM   #88
JustDoIt340
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Hi guys! Yesterday, after I removed the oil filter, I looked at the place of its installation and saw this...

The edges of the oil feed hole feel uneven or even broken to me. Until that time, the dealer did the oil change.
Guys, when someone well be change oil on the B58 engine, please take a similar photo. I don’t know if this oil hole is normal or not. Help me please.
Appreciate 0