F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Xdrive Upgraded Control Arms
Studio RSR

08-12-2023, 02:18 PM   #45
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostedphil698 View Post
I don't think Millway are compatible with Xdrive.
I had the Millway bearings on my car (an xDrive 340).

They work great but 1) they do make the ride stiffer, and 2) over time, the control arm will be able to turn 90 degrees right or left. This isn't a big surprise for a monoball. What is a surprise is when the arm would occasionally knock against the tie rod. This wasn't a serious problem as neither arm nor rod were ever damaged but listening to the occasional clunk on full turning lock of the steering wheel eventually bugged me enough to swap them back to stock.

As a company, Millway is great. Customer service, very good. I have their street camber plates and they have saved me from prematurely killing my front tires.

Now it takes almost 7 or 8 track weekends to kill the shoulder on the front tires rather than 2. It's wonderful.
      09-01-2023, 11:05 AM   #46
ErikB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F36 440ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualDIYer View Post
I had the Millway bearings on my car (an xDrive 340).

They work great but 1) they do make the ride stiffer, and 2) over time, the control arm will be able to turn 90 degrees right or left. This isn't a big surprise for a monoball. What is a surprise is when the arm would occasionally knock against the tie rod. This wasn't a serious problem as neither arm nor rod were ever damaged but listening to the occasional clunk on full turning lock of the steering wheel eventually bugged me enough to swap them back to stock.

Ha, I see you're in Toronto, you might be the person selling them on ebay that I purchased.
Looking into that issue you shared, I started cross referencing the Meyle ball joint Millway used in these. What I found in photos, the number on the rubber seal 030-060-004-012-03. I found forum references to this number for ball joint bmw # 33326792553. Using the Meyle parts catalog search, that linked to Meyle 3167100001, MCX0299. All of the measurements listed for that one look correct. BMW has a few numbers that cross reference with the above number, like 33326775552, 33326792552.

Anyway, these are cheap, about $20 for Lemforder or Meyle, cheaper for delphi, febi, etc.

Just thought I would share this info for anyone wanting to refresh their Millway monoball bushings. I am however waiting to hear back from Meyle if those numbers are the correct ones for sure. I will post back with any changes.

*edit* Millway responded and confirmed that they use bmw# 33326792553

Last edited by ErikB; 09-02-2023 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 03:23 PM   #47
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikB View Post
Ha, I see you're in Toronto, you might be the person selling them on ebay that I purchased.
Looking into that issue you shared, I started cross referencing the Meyle ball joint Millway used in these. What I found in photos, the number on the rubber seal 030-060-004-012-03. I found forum references to this number for ball joint bmw # 33326792553. Using the Meyle parts catalog search, that linked to Meyle 3167100001, MCX0299. All of the measurements listed for that one look correct. BMW has a few numbers that cross reference with the above number, like 33326775552, 33326792552.

Anyway, these are cheap, about $20 for Lemforder or Meyle, cheaper for delphi, febi, etc.

Just thought I would share this info for anyone wanting to refresh their Millway monoball bushings. I am however waiting to hear back from Meyle if those numbers are the correct ones for sure. I will post back with any changes.

*edit* Millway responded and confirmed that they use bmw# 33326792553
Shipped Friday, Sept 1. Remember, you will need a press to get the existing bushing out. Recommended you use the press to get the new one in but it's easier than the OE. I've included a new set of screws since the Millway screws didn't hold up well in an environment where salt is used on the roads. The new screws will likely find the Cali weather a nicer place to live. The screws are a button head with a hex head. A bit of an unusual combo. Not common to see a button head used on a car.
      09-02-2023, 04:53 PM   #48
ErikB
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks! no problem, I have an entire machine shop at work.

yeah, button heads are common on bikes and RC, I'll keep an eye one them over time
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 02:33 PM   #49
ErikB
Private First Class
Rep

got the new balljoints pressed into the Millway carriers and then pressed into the new Lemforder arms. Its nice having access to the huge mech shop at my work hehe.

If anyone wants the OEM bushings that came out, free if you're local to Sacramento, just PM me.

Appreciate 1
      09-20-2023, 10:54 AM   #50
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
I noticed some people in this thread using incorrect terms. To avoid confusion I labeled the parts in the attached photo.

I’ve already mentioned that I recommend front VAC monoball control arms, with versions made for either RWD or XDrive.

Having the equipment and the expertise to press out/in your own bushings is nice. But most people lack one or both. There is machine shop labor involved to install bushings. And when ball joints wear out they are typically replaced by replacing the entire control arm anyway.

VAC told me that they made a conscious choice to install their unique monoball bushings into new OEM control arms. That way the customer gets a complete arm with a new monoball bushing, new arm and a brand new ball joint.

They said that the incidence is too high of customers, or their own machine shops, screwing up the installation into the car’s original control arm. Then coming back to them wanting a free replacement for a bushing that they damaged. Selling them to the customer already complete with the bushing professionally installed means a simple swap installation that takes about 1-2 hours for a pair with no machine shop fee.

Some BMW shops have told me that it’s no longer like decades ago when there were quality machine shops around locally. Now they try to avoid sending things out to machine shops because they come back screwed up. They blame it on lack of training and inexperience of the machine shop employees.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 11:03 AM   #51
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I noticed some people in this thread using incorrect terms. To avoid confusion I labeled the parts in the attached photo.

I’ve already mentioned that I recommend front VAC monoball control arms, with versions made for either RWD or XDrive.

Having the equipment and the expertise to press out/in your own bushings is nice. But most people lack one or both. There is machine shop labor involved to install bushings. And when ball joints wear out they are typically replaced by replacing the entire control arm anyway.

VAC told me that they made a conscious choice to install their unique monoball bushings into new OEM control arms. That way the customer gets a complete arm with a new monoball bushing, new arm and a brand new ball joint.

They said that the incidence is too high of customers, or their own machine shops, screwing up the installation into the car’s original control arm. Then coming back to them wanting a free replacement for a bushing that they damaged. Selling them to the customer already complete with the bushing professionally installed means a simple swap installation that takes about 1-2 hours for a pair with no machine shop fee.

Some BMW shops have told me that it’s no longer like decades ago when there were quality machine shops around locally. Now they try to avoid sending things out to machine shops because they come back screwed up. They blame it on lack of training and inexperience of the machine shop employees.

Hope this helps!
I wonder when they'll be back in stock.
      09-20-2023, 11:24 AM   #52
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostedphil698 View Post
I wonder when they'll be back in stock.
What VAC monoball control arms? They manufacture in big batches. It’s the only way to manufacture them cost effectively because time on their $750k CNC isn’t cheap, and neither is the machine shop labor to press them all into new control arms. Probably takes 3-4 days straight to make a batch once it’s scheduled. Those expensive CNCs have to be kept running daily with many jobs.

They always have the next manufacturing batch scheduled. It’s just a matter of whether sales of existing inventory go out before the new batch is finished. They manufacture many products with their CNCs. Kies usually have standing orders from manufacturers.

So I just order from Kies knowing that they will ship out immediately (and for free) as soon as the next batch is received.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 12:02 PM   #53
ErikB
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Hope this helps!

The reason I stated ball joints, is because the Millway monoballs use a BMW 33326792553 balljoint inside of them. I purchased them used and pressed out the worn out balljoints from the carrier and pressed in the new ones. You can see the shiny new lemforders in this photo. But yes, your markup on the photo is correct. VAC options are nice (not sure what they use inside of theirs) since most other brands are available separately and would need to be pressed in to arms.

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 12:31 PM   #54
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
What VAC monoball control arms? They manufacture in big batches. It’s the only way to manufacture them cost effectively because time on their $750k CNC isn’t cheap, and neither is the machine shop labor to press them all into new control arms. Probably takes 3-4 days straight to make a batch once it’s scheduled. Those expensive CNCs have to be kept running daily with many jobs.

They always have the next manufacturing batch scheduled. It’s just a matter of whether sales of existing inventory go out before the new batch is finished. They manufacture many products with their CNCs. Kies usually have standing orders from manufacturers.

So I just order from Kies knowing that they will ship out immediately (and for free) as soon as the next batch is received.
Gotcha. I was gonna pick up a set but a brand new PM4 popped up that was for sale and it was either now or never to buy that so I opted for that. Maybe get to control arms over the winter.
johnung4528.00
      09-21-2023, 12:38 PM   #55
timelyfinch
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2019 F31 330iX

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
The VAC order I placed in July shipped last week, so looks like they are back in stock.
Appreciate 2
johnung4528.00