F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Xdrive suspension question
Extreme Powerhouse

09-30-2018, 08:26 PM   #1
Marlinman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Xdrive suspension question

Did anyone else experience the front axle coming "out of the diff" when you had to lower the steering knuckle to remove the strut assembly? There was a report of one guy saying his popped out and he turned it until he felt the splines re aline inside the diff.

Wanted to poll the group if this is a common occurence when changing shocks/springs on an F30 Xdrive. Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #2
strobe89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 + 2015 335i xDrive

Mine came out on the drivers side. I wouldn't pop back in during re-assembly until I rotated it a bit then all was fine. Passenger side didn't pop out for me, guess I got lucky. I read about it before I installed my springs and wasn't quite sure what to expect. However, when it happened it seemed self explanatory. Basically I just couldn't shove the shock over and back up into position until I rotated the axle a bit.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #3
Marlinman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Yea the service manual goes through removing all the damn control arms and axle for the xdrive, although through my readings your situation is the only one I've come across that the axle seemed to pop out. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 12:23 AM   #4
tpliquid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31 330i wagon

My never came out when I installed.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
strobe89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 + 2015 335i xDrive

The driver side my axle popped out on was the one where I unbolted the top bolts then kicked it all down and swung the whole assembly out before removing the shock from the knuckle. My guess is I had to pull it down further than the other side to get the bolts to clear the fender when swinging out.

On the passenger side I left the shock bolted in up top, but loosened up the knuckle and slid it off with the shock in place. Then I unbolted the shock and took it out. I believe it didn't have to swing down as far that way, hence why the axle didn't pop out on that side.

It's really no big deal either way. Took less than a minute of figuring out why it wouldn't swing back together and just rotated the axle a bit until it popped in. It's really obvious when it's not seated properly because you can't even get close to things going back together. I spent more time trying to make sure I didn't nick the fender with the top of the shock body.
Appreciate 0