F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 couple of issues
proTUNING Freaks

02-27-2024, 03:34 PM   #1
fiedor901
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

N20 couple of issues

Hi, I recently bought 328xi from late 2014 with 88k kilometeres on it. Knowing the most popular issues, recently I changed (preventive) the timing chain, oil pump drive, rod bearings and spark plugs.

I noticed my engine runs kinda rough on cold start, when the RPM are going down there is some car shaking going on especcialy around 1000RPM. It's not shaking violently just slightly, thinking about checking the injectors and changing coils due to that they are still OEM.

Today I also noticed the rattle after slight rev to around 2500RMP, tho its only happening after startup no matter if the engine is hot or cold. It passes after a minute or two, is that a wastegate finishing its life? (video below)

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/LMTpQgh9Owk

Maybe someone can also identify the sqeeking sound when the camera gets closer to the engine, I only noticed this on the video, barely hearable IRL.

Thanks for any help
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 06:30 PM   #2
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Did you replace the timing chain tensioner too?

I do not hear anything strange. My car also has some small uneven idle for the first few seconds after start up. If you are concerned, but cannot detect any major signs of problems, you may want to use ISTA+ and a $10 ENET cable to check if any hidden error codes reside.
      03-13-2024, 03:38 PM   #3
fiedor901
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Hey, sure, tensioner was also replaced. I already know that the injector on the 1st cylinder doesn’t work as well as the other three, but it’s not yet nothing to worry about, it might be the reason why I expirniece slight shaking on coldstart. I’m more worried about the scratching sound you can hear on video when reving. I suspect the wastegate, car sound more like a diesel day by day depending how cold it is outside. :/
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 06:00 PM   #4
Taylorsi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

fiedor901 I am getting ready to do timing chain/oil pump drive and want to change the rod bearings as well; my thread is not getting any traction so figured I'd ask you directly:

When changing the rod bearings, do you set everything to TDC, remove the oil pump/balance shaft unit, remove any timing locks to allow spinning the engine then replace bearings, set all back to TDC then reinstall oil pump/balance shafts?

Or do you leave everything set to TDC and just push the bearings out around the crank without rotating anything?

I appreciate any advice you can provide!
Appreciate 0